Search: Posts made by: Nick Kennedy
Forum: Soaring August 28th 18, 06:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Rudder system failure

Update
So I got a call from a friend that the Nephi accident cause is still undetermined.
Sorry for the possible mis- information. I was there at the event and that is what I heard on the ramp, But...
Forum: Soaring August 28th 18, 05:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Rudder system failure

Dave
I'm not 100% sure but I think both accidents were caused by a rudder cable coming apart and then the springs in the system pins the rudder hard over.
In most gliders when this occurs I don't the...
Forum: Soaring August 28th 18, 12:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Rudder system failure

After the Arcus rudder failure in Nephi this summer, and the Early JS1 rudder failure in Moriarty, both resulting in bailouts; I've been wondering.....
In a 15 meter ship like a ASW 20 or LS3a or...
Forum: Soaring August 15th 18, 04:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Uvalde Reports

It's too bad there is no one writing about the Uvalde contest..Nothing on the SSA site or the RAS, or I'm I missing it?
Forum: Soaring July 24th 18, 03:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Rescue Aid

My local SAR group sez always carry a piece of yellow natural gas line with you.
If you get in trouble, bury it in the ground and in no time a backhoe will arrive and dig it up!
Forum: Soaring July 23rd 18, 11:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Spray insulation for aluminum trailers

You may want to contact a local home insulating company that handles spray foam.
Its difficult to get it smooth thou in my experience. Google different types of spray foam and see what you find, good...
Forum: Soaring July 13th 18, 02:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Ventus 3F - Fatal

Rest in Peace Renny

I've go to say these accidents scare the crap out of me.
How can this happen? Renny flew so much he was almost a professional glider pilot. And yet he goes in landing at his home...
Forum: Soaring July 12th 18, 06:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Cobra trailer aluminum vs fiberglass top

I've seen gliders stored in fiberglass top trailers that look like they have suffered long term UV damage. Not sure if the fiberglass lets UV through but that's what I've seen. My Aluminum top...
Forum: Soaring July 9th 18, 12:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Trailer shade

Maybe find the side of a hanger?
That's what I do FWIW
Forum: Soaring July 6th 18, 02:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

Chip
If you can't get your tophat to work, I recommend just springing for a few bucks and getting a Oudie with SYM already loaded and running.
There not cheap but it works and it works good, never...
Forum: Soaring June 11th 18, 03:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Grand Teton Crash

So sorry to read about this accident.
Does anyone know about the weather conditions at the time of the accident?
I'm curious if it was windy or stormy.

The NTSB report that came out on the Glider...
Forum: Soaring June 8th 18, 08:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Club Procedures for Late Day XC Flights

I think Walts WX, procedure is a good one, and I think I'm going to start doing the same thing.
Simple, easy to do and all the info you need in one spot.
Remember to leave you vehicle with a full...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 18, 04:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
5th year of living dangerously with LiFePo4 batteries

So is the problem of a fire caused by a dead short across the battery terminals?
Shouldn't a inline fuse coming off the positive terminal take care of any fire problem? I realize a wrench or...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 18, 05:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Aileron "tuning" or "trimming"

JJ
What size trim tab would be good for a slight turn?
What proportions that stick out in the wind is your wild ass guess?
Nick
Forum: Soaring May 7th 18, 01:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Slovenia

Slovenia also has a boatload of Beee-U-Ti-ful women.
If I was in the market for a new one thats where I would start looking.
YMMV
Forum: Soaring May 2nd 18, 01:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Oudie won’t download flight

Dennis
My thinking is if the logger is permanently on then it is going to record your flight, every time, without having to remember to turn it on. My CAI 302 and my PowerFlarm both automatically...
Forum: Soaring May 1st 18, 02:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Notable Power Flarm saves - Is it 'worth it'?

Power Flarm works and it works good.
A couple of years ago flying just SW of Parowan heading SW I got a ADS-B warning. It was the Beech 1900 airliner headed into Cedar City. I visually saw it over my...
Forum: Soaring May 1st 18, 02:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Caution -- InReach Explorer Dead

Sorry to hear your having problems with your InReach.
I have one and so far its been great, hope mine keeps working.
BTW the ability to send and receive texts with the thing is truly remarkable.
A...
Forum: Soaring May 1st 18, 02:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
best glider for new pilots?

Paolo,
Look down the tread list and look for a recent thread titled DG 100 vs Libelle,
Its got alot of good information in there
Good Luck
Get a good trailer!
Forum: Soaring May 1st 18, 02:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Oudie won’t download flight

I upgraded my Oudie 2 and the version I now have is 7.21.003
Is this not the newest version available?

With the logging problem I would go Settings IGC Loggingcheck box Logger permanently on then...
Forum: Soaring April 18th 18, 10:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
See You Mobile 7.4

Does anyone know what the latest upgrade to 8.01 did?
Forum: Soaring March 28th 18, 12:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Round out and flare with fully open spoilers in a PW-6? Other gliders?

I think the OP has got the terms wrong. I don't think you Flare a glider into a landing. I think you roundout and then just hold it off until it lands itself.
I think Flaring is something you do in...
Forum: Soaring March 18th 18, 02:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Flarm collision alert from Tow Plane ADS-B

Reading that accident report from Crazycreek soaring made me sad. A radio in the towplane should have easily prevented that accident. So simple and inexpensive too. When I flew at another major...
Forum: Soaring March 11th 18, 02:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Inexpensive portable IGC data recorders

I think for robust, durable, bullet proof, idiot proof logging I'd go with a Nano.
There is nothing worse than doing a flight you planned out, completed it and then having a logger failure. Been...
Forum: Soaring March 1st 18, 03:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nick Kennedy
Roof Rack for bikes on a cobra clamshell top?

Matt
Look into the Yakima rack system.
They have bits you can bolt onto your trailer top and then mount a standard Yakima rack on with a bike mount accessory.
I've seen this on several trailers and...