Search: Posts made by: rlovinggood
Forum: Soaring April 17th 15, 06:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Kudos to Gary Kammerer at ClearNav

Gary Kammerer at ClearNav deserves big kudos for his work in what he does. One of the many things he does is repair Cambridge instruments, including my 302. After the very recent upgrade to the 302,...
Forum: Soaring September 10th 14, 02:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Glide Navigator II Problem

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll try them as soon as I can make time and report results.

Ray
W8
Forum: Soaring September 6th 14, 08:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Glide Navigator II Problem

My GNII, running on an iPAQ 3955, won't load files.

I have the program file under the "Start" menu.
I have the turnpoint file, in *.txt format, under "My Documents."
I have the airspace file, in...
Forum: Soaring July 9th 14, 02:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
shipping a glider and trailer by rail from East to west coast

Ditto to Uli's and KS's statements about trains. I worked one day in the hump yard located in Hamlett, NC, and witnessed the "violence" train cars endure when they couple to each other. The...
Forum: Soaring June 11th 14, 02:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Wanted: Schroth 4 or 5 point safety harness, loop ends, new condition

Give "Aviation Safety Products" a call:
http://www.aircraftseatbelts.com/

They recently rewebbed my four-point Schroth and provided new sliders. I believe they said they have all the parts for a...
Forum: Soaring May 14th 14, 02:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Asw20 vs Discus

One other "plus" in the column for the Discus over the 20: It won't self-immolate when the canopy is open and positioned "just right" to catch the sun and focus the beam of light on the glare...
Forum: Soaring March 24th 14, 07:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Seat Belt Re-Webbing

I got my Schroth four-point harness rewebbed at "Aviation Safety Products" in Blairsville, Georgia, USA.

http://www.aircraftseatbelts.com

Don't know if the price was "reasonable" or not, as Larry...
Forum: Soaring March 6th 14, 05:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Bird Strikes to Lame? How about Fish Strike!

I've thought about what might happen if a bird and I were to collide in flight. How about running into a...
Forum: Soaring January 27th 14, 02:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Restraint Harness

I went with the dark blue which, I think, is the "Midnight Blue" as shown on their web page. It looks very good!

Ray
Forum: Soaring January 27th 14, 02:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Restraint Harness

I got a dark blue, probably the "Midnight Blue" as shown on their web page. It looks very good. CAVEAT...HOWEVER... I have a problem. I installed the harness yesterday in the glider and then found...
Forum: Soaring January 24th 14, 05:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Restraint Harness

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:46:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Here's another option

http://www.aircraftseatbelts.com/

I'm sending mine for re-webbing and having a...
Forum: Soaring January 24th 14, 05:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Restraint Harness

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:46:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Here's another option

http://www.aircraftseatbelts.com/

I'm sending mine for re-webbing and having a...
Forum: Soaring November 27th 13, 05:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Top ten glider trailer features?

Scott,
Provide method of securing empty fuselage and wing dollies so they won't roll around in an empty trailer during a retrieve.

Someone else mentioned spare tire, but make it easy to get the...
Forum: Soaring November 13th 13, 05:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
automated flap setting

Hey Dr. WB: That article about leaving the air cooler was in an April issue of "Flying" magazine, written, I think, by their technical editor, Peter Garrison. Key here is the "April" edition. That...
Forum: Soaring July 16th 13, 12:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Heavy hand again?

....I have been pulled over twice by bored cops curious about the "weird trailer".

Wiskey Bravo, "glider" people would pull you over, curious about the "weird trailer." :-)
Forum: Soaring July 15th 13, 05:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Heavy hand again?

Everytime I land out, I call 9-1-1 and tell the operator, "This is NOT an emergency. I'm calling to let you know I've landed my glider (yada yada yada)" I don't want the town to come out with all...
Forum: Soaring June 25th 13, 08:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Dave's blog from Hobbs - USA Open Class nationals

On Monday, June 24, 2013 6:36:35 PM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
Enjoy !

http://www.nadler.com/public/2013_Hobbs/2013_Hobbs.html

Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

PS: email with...
Forum: Soaring June 16th 13, 06:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Subaru Outback...how well does it tow a sailplane trailer?

Car: 2005 Forester 4-speed automatic with 2.5l 4 cylinder engine.
Rated to tow 2,400 lb with 200 lb tongue weight, if the trailer has brakes. Max trailer wt drops to 1,000 lbs if the trailer doesn't...
Forum: Soaring April 22nd 13, 05:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
C-172 as tow plane?

Tom
I've been towed many times with a 180 h.p. 172 and it does fine. We are towing from a 5,000' paved runway (elevation of 200 msl) and I'm flying without water in an LS1-d. The towplane also is...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 13, 08:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Towing vehicle

Automatic or Manual?

To me, it doesn't matter, as long as the vehicle is rated to tow the weight of your loaded trailer. Some have mentioned power, some have mentioned brakes, but nobody has...
Forum: Soaring January 16th 13, 02:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
USA and FAI rules

Mr. Ray Galloway (P1) asked for me to post the following note:

There has been much discussion over the differences between the FAI rules and the US rules. This is partly due to the fact that the US...
Forum: Soaring December 6th 12, 12:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
A Poll on your weight and balance

1970 LS1-d

Empty

70.0 lbs
(31.75Kg)

With pilot on board, ready to fly:
48.0 lbs
(21.77Kg)
Forum: Soaring September 15th 12, 01:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Glider Wraps, Gelcoat Refinishing

Wrapping an aircraft isn't new.

Back in 1983, I saw several F-104 Starfighters in white shrink-wrap material. They were to be shipped from Luke Air Force Base, Arizona, to Taiwan. The F-104's were...
Forum: Soaring August 10th 12, 03:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
WGC 2012 Day 5 18m Task?

The graphic for the 18m task for Day 5 shows an overlap between points 66 and 67. Is that okay because they have to fly to point 31 that comes between 67 and 66?

Thanks,
Ray
Forum: Soaring May 30th 12, 09:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By rlovinggood
Trailer Tires 195/65 R15

On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 3:21:24 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
In the 80 miles or so that I've towed the trailer...

Ray,

You obviously are not landing out enough

Correction: In the 80 miles...