Search: Posts made by: James Metcalfe
Forum: Soaring November 20th 20, 02:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
Best Overall Motorglider available today?

At 07:25 20 November 2020, Paul T wrote:
At 12:13 19 November 2020, Paul T wrote:
For all you non-believers and skeptics that did not believe
the JS1 had
been measured by the Idafleig at 63:1...
Forum: Soaring November 3rd 20, 10:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
Old Folks Poll

Anybody remember what a "prayer wheel" was?

I didn't recognise this phrase, at first, but soon worked it out from
context. In the 80s in the UK we knew it as a John Willy - after a well
known...
Forum: Soaring October 23rd 20, 08:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
New alpine soaring video on YouTube

At 18:02 23 October 2020, Christopher FLEMING wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w4okrE4xfc

An ASH 31 Mi starts off by scraping the rocks low in the valleys, then
climbs up above the...
Forum: Soaring October 21st 20, 06:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
Wheel brake effectiveness standards

At 06:35 21 October 2020, Tango Whisky wrote:
Velocity squared is NOT a distance. It's just nonsense.

Actually, v^2 is proportional to energy per unit mass.
As is braking distance under constant...
Forum: Soaring October 21st 20, 03:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
As heard on 123.3........

At 12:44 21 October 2020, Martin Gregorie wrote:
Could also tie in with the differences between American and British
English, when I was working in NYC in the mid 70s, periodically I'd
notice...
Forum: Soaring October 21st 20, 12:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
As heard on 123.3........

At 22:24 20 October 2020, Martin Gregorie wrote:
...Take a look at that URL and scroll down past the B&W image of a letter:

The message I meant is a whole lot more explicit than the rather...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 20, 10:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
As heard on 123.3........

At 20:11 20 October 2020, Martin Gregorie wrote:
At least he didn't copy Napoleon's on-the-way back message to
Josephine!

OK, I'll bite. What was Napoleon's message to Josephine??

Go...
Forum: Soaring October 19th 20, 10:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
As heard on 123.3........

At 18:45 19 October 2020, Frank Whiteley wrote:
There were a pair in the UK that used the handles "Cockle" and
"Cockle Shell"

It gets worse. I knew of "Fox" and "Foxhole" (a married couple).
But...
Forum: Soaring October 18th 20, 08:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
Barographs?

At 19:09 18 October 2020, Jim S wrote:
10 year old thread but anybody know where to find a mechanical
barograph?
Thanks.

I have a Winter barograph, last used in anger in 1997 but still...
Forum: Soaring October 17th 20, 10:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
Looking for 1-26E with trailer and some thoughts

At 16:33 17 October 2020, Eric Greenwell wrote:
The problem was likely the Blanik tailwheel, which can be damaged
easily in a two-point or tail-first landing. How to train pilots for
two-point or...
Forum: Soaring October 1st 20, 01:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
Rope Breaks (Grilling sacred cows)

At 21:10 29 September 2020, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
...Before I turned right or left I would put the nose down!

For heaven's sake, guys:
(1) Pull the bung
(2) See the rope go
(3) Slow down (and,...
Forum: Soaring September 26th 20, 05:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
e: CAUTION - Active Scam Attempt on W&W Classifieds

At 16:25 26 September 2020, John wrote:
My game is to scam the scammers. I play along and they
always send a huge check by usps priority that I add to
my collection. I tease them or play stupid...
Forum: Soaring August 11th 20, 02:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
Speed of a vario

At 11:23 11 August 2020, s6 wrote:
If I remember ok it is the time it takes to reach 80% of the
thermal strength.

Actually (1− 1/e) (approximately 63 percent)
J.
Forum: Soaring July 24th 20, 12:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
27 crash at Ely?

At 05:10 24 July 2020, wrote:
...Of course going inverted deliberately close to terrain is not a snap
decision but need a lot of thought and best aerobatic...
Forum: Soaring May 20th 20, 01:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
KGARS - Kiting Glider Automatic Relase System

At 11:21 20 May 2020, Sci Fi wrote:
As a starting point.. A 350kg Glider with a 35:1 L/D ratio just requires
10kg of pull to keep it flying. So factor in a safety margin to allow
for
turbulence,...
Forum: Soaring March 28th 20, 02:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
Soaring already DOA for the season???

At 11:03 28 March 2020, krasw wrote:
In my country, there is currently one confirmed corona case per 5000
inhabitants. That is 0.0002% of the population.

Ahem! That's 0.02%
J.
Forum: Soaring March 23rd 20, 05:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
Soaring already DOA for the season???

I'd think 200' of tow rope would be enough social distancing.
We have lengthened our tow ropes to 206'
Weirsdale Glider Club

Aw c'mon! The ship spoiled for a ha'p'orth of tar: a further...
Forum: Soaring January 10th 20, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
6'7

At 05:01 10 January 2020, Rob wrote:
... getting some conflicting information about the fit in the Open
Cirrus.
I thought the difference was only 15m vs. 18m but the cockpit staying the
same...
Forum: Soaring December 19th 19, 07:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
Tesla Model 3 and a glider

At 16:10 19 December 2019, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
... leader in social, economic morays. I am also learned in the law.

"Morays" ?? Clearly more slippery than a Latin-literate legal eagle (who...
Forum: Soaring September 21st 19, 11:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
Search Threads

At 19:51 20 September 2019, David Hirst wrote:
Welcome Steve.

Try the search bar thingy at the top of the page (where it says "search
for
messages"). If you search for "replacement canopies"...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 19, 11:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
Tow plane types/mods for high density altitude glider towing

At 08:07 13 August 2019, Peter F wrote:
I've seen a tow behind a Pilatus Turboporter at Gap Tallard

I've *had* a tow behind a Pilatus at Gap-Tallard. My pupil had no trouble
flying the 2-seat...
Forum: Soaring July 20th 19, 10:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
Theoretical exam issue

At 14:24 19 July 2019, Bartosz_Gabryś wrote:
Hi!
I have finished my theoretical course (online) for a glider pilot over
year=
ago and I missed that I had to attemp at least one exam. I...
Forum: Soaring June 13th 19, 10:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
5 way tubing quick connector UK

At 20:31 13 June 2019, Rob Shepherd wrote:
Evening folks,

Does anyone know where I can obtain a five way tubing quick connector i
the
UK?

Cheers
Rob
Forum: Soaring June 13th 19, 01:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
Another EXTREMELY low thermal save

At 11:12 13 June 2019, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 02:41:26 -0700, Gary Wayland wrote:

Answer; When you have your hand on the gear and jamming it in and
out as
you find that...
Forum: Soaring May 10th 19, 10:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By James Metcalfe
Nearest near-miss?

Ridge soaring in the French Alps (local to the airfield, waiting for an
improvement in the weather) with a very experienced pupil handling. He
started to turn right; I automatically glanced...