Forum: Soaring March 16th 09, 10:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SCSA MARCH BASH

The first occasional March Bash hosted by the Southern California
Soaring Academy was great fun and a great success, with 125+ guests
attending and enjoying BBQ ribs & chicken, cold cuts, hamburgers,...
Forum: Soaring February 26th 09, 09:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
52/1 Performance in a 15M ship at half the weight.

This is an informative, important and well-written article, which
deserved to be published in "Soaring". However, IMHO, the chosen name
for this new glider is unfortunate. Not only is the term "Duck...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 09, 03:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SO CAL SOARING

Greetings to all you Southern Calif glider pilots (and points North
and East)

The Southern California Soaring Academy at Crystal is having its
Official Opening Ceremonies on Saturday 14 March. This...
Forum: Soaring January 23rd 09, 06:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SOARING SO. CAL.

The website for Southern California Soaring Academy ( formerly Great
Western Soaring School ) in Pearblossom has been activated. Please go
to:

http://www.soaringacademy.org

Cheers, Charles
Forum: Soaring January 13th 09, 06:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SO. CAL FLYING

The web site for So Cal Soaring Academy is not operational yet. The
phone number is 661 944 1090.

Charles
Forum: Soaring January 12th 09, 06:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SO. CAL FLYING

Yesterday were my first flights in several weeks, after the gliderport
at Crysatal was shut down following the grim events of November 2008.
I must say that it was really a "high" in several ways to...
Forum: Soaring December 31st 08, 03:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NEW YEAR

To all you glider drivers out the here's wishing you all a safe
2009 soaring season, 12+ knot lift and endless cloud streets at 18,000
ft.

Cheers, Charles
Forum: Soaring December 22nd 08, 06:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SOARING SOUTHERN CAL.

New news about the soaring ops. at Pearblossom CA (ex-Great Western
Soaring School). The new organization "Soaring Academy" is scheduled
to open January 1st, weather permitting or not. The new...
Forum: Soaring December 6th 08, 08:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HOT LANDING ?

Page 27 of the December issue of Soaring magazine shows a pic of an
LS-10 at the 2008 WGC seemingly very low over the ground and "about to
touch down" . The picture does not show the landing gear...
Forum: Soaring November 23rd 08, 07:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Silver Badge!

Congratulations, Tony. You have the bug ! Next step is of course the
gold, the diamonds, the commercial and finally the CFI-G.

Cheers, Charles
Forum: Soaring November 9th 08, 04:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FRED ROBINSON

Hello all, after the several inquiries posted this past few days
regarding Fred, I had been waiting for someone else to come up with
the grim news. It did not happen, so here it is. I was told...
Forum: Soaring October 14th 08, 08:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Region 12 Soaring Map - Help the soaring community!

Greetings all,

I have added yellow balloons in the area of Crystalaire ( Great
Western Soaring ) with which I am familiar. However, the cursed
cursor got away from me, and I placed a balloon in...
Forum: Soaring September 16th 08, 08:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SO. CAL. SEPTEMBER FLIGHT

Yesterday Monday 15 I had one of my best flights: not a cloud in the
sky, at least not in my vicinity. Gound temperature 104* F. Fred
Robinson, operator of Great Western Soaring at Crystal tells me...
Forum: Soaring August 16th 08, 02:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Becker vs Microair

We have had a Microair on our plane. It has never worked properly, in
spite of two returns to the factory. We don't bother anymore. 'Nough
said.

Cheers, Charles
Forum: Soaring May 20th 08, 08:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
travel time to gliding site / club?

75 miles one-way, approximately 1 hr 15' on a good day.

Cheers, Charles
Forum: Soaring April 12th 08, 10:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Haiku of Aviation

Not quite gramatical, but who cares ?

Blue sky, white glider
In completest harmony
Slipping silently

Cheers, Charles
Forum: Soaring April 6th 08, 04:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NEED TRAILER

Our SDZ 50-3 "Puchacz" -- a heavy plane -- is in need of a cosmetic
facelift: remove dings, refinishing, repainting. What we do not have
is a trailer to take it to the shop. Does anyone in SoCal...
Forum: Soaring January 5th 08, 12:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider Shapes

Excuse MY ignorance !

Is there an advantage of the parallelogram configuration over the
conventional stick in the manufacture or in the handling ? For a
"universal" glider, the simpler it is with...
Forum: Soaring January 1st 08, 06:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NEW YEAR WISHES

I did say 12 Plus knots !

Cheers, Charles
Forum: Soaring December 31st 07, 10:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NEW YEAR WISHES

To all you glider pilots out there,

This is to wish you a full year of safe flying, 12+ knots thermals and
endless cloud streets at 18,000 ft.

Cheers, Charles
Forum: Soaring December 14th 07, 03:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Interested in soaring safety? Read this

I opened the link, took a look, and had the same reaction as JePlane
(moi aussi je plane). Must have missed something.

Cheers, Charles
Forum: Soaring November 13th 07, 11:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
micro mesh on canopies

For what it's worth, we had one side of our canopy badly affected by
blowing sand. Whenever I am getting ready to fly, I start by cleaning
the canopy with LP Acrylic Polish and finish the job with...
Forum: Soaring October 30th 07, 01:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
How dangerous is soaring?

The question was "Is it worth it ?". I used to ski and sail, and then
I discovered soaring. That was 20 + years ago. I have been soaring
since, haven't sailed for some 15 years, and also sold all...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 07, 06:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LOOKING FOR MICHAEL WARREN

Michael is an A & P and last worked on our glider in Southern
California. Does anyone know his whereabouts and / or his phone
number ? Our plane needs some work and I would like to be able to...
Forum: Soaring May 1st 07, 10:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Most Landouts in One Day

Years ago, on a cross country flight out of Minden NV, I had to land
out at a crop duster airstrip ( the welcoming reception was
outstanding, great guys out there). I was retrieved in due time,...