Search: Posts made by: kirk.stant
Forum: Soaring April 30th 19, 12:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
ILEC SN10 version 2.45 released

On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 9:08:50 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
Thanks to all the folks who helped with testing!
Best Regards, Dave

Forum: Soaring April 7th 19, 08:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Gliders for sale

St Louis Soaring Association is selling it's 1-34 and L-13AC; please see the ads on Wings and Wheels for details and photos.

Please feel free to PM me at stantkirk at gmail dot com if you are...
Forum: Soaring April 4th 19, 12:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Buying LS3a or ASW20a? ~$25k cross country glider. Which one and why?

On Monday, April 1, 2019 at 6:01:10 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
I can only speak for AS.......20, 24, 28, 29 for single place glass, ASK-21 for dual......not counting many...
Forum: Soaring April 1st 19, 07:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Avare

On Sunday, March 31, 2019 at 10:58:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:

How would Ms Johansson help with an adsb traffic display?

She would call out the traffic, because I sure wouldn't be...
Forum: Soaring March 28th 19, 05:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
travel time to gliding site / club?

Almost exactly 1 mile from my house to my glider club's airport.

Why would anyone want to live further?

Kirk
66
Forum: Soaring March 5th 19, 08:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Tow rope musings - informal survey

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 11:03:29 AM UTC-6, Matt Herron (Sr) wrote:
You may "see" the appeal of it, but believe me, actually seeing the tug almost on top of you is far less appealing. It's a...
Forum: Soaring February 28th 19, 08:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Tow rope musings - informal survey

I read somewhere (old Soaring?) about extremely short (as in a couple of meters) tow ropes being used to aero retrieve out of dusty, plowed fields; the idea is that you are so close to the tow plane...
Forum: Soaring February 28th 19, 08:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
OLC max altitude self censorship

Dan,
Yes my Oudie2 runs on SeeYou. I bought it about 5 years ago and connected it to the portable FLARM with the Oudie2 cables. My Oudie2 altitude trace, as filed on OLC, has always shown the GPS...
Forum: Soaring February 14th 19, 07:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Problem with Grob-103

Maybe it's really a 2-33 in disguise...

66
Forum: Soaring December 28th 18, 03:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Taildragger Technique for Gliders

So, Cookie, please be so kind as to educate us on your taildragger techniques (in gliders, of course).

66
Forum: Soaring October 29th 18, 09:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
17.6 meter tips for Ventus C ?

On Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 8:49:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:
At 45 degrees left bank, I applied right aileron, but the ship kept rolling left!

JJ, that sounds like classic...
Forum: Soaring October 21st 18, 04:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Greatful for this group

Pitch vs power is a lot more subtle than just pushing the throttle up or pushing the stick forward to speed up; the real answer (IMHO) is "it depends on where on the L/D curve you are". At high...
Forum: Soaring September 20th 18, 02:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Anti-collision strobe lights

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 10:08:49 PM UTC-5, Gerry Simpson wrote:
Does anyone have knowledge of documented studies showing the efficacy of the strobe light bars which are available to be...
Forum: Soaring September 20th 18, 02:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
A few newbie questions about the sport

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 6:00:07 PM UTC-5, Paul T wrote:

Sorry can't afford transatlantic telephone calls - I asked a fairly simple

question, why can't you answer this on a public...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 18, 07:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Vario Comparison

On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 10:50:35 AM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

One of the things I love about a 2-32 is that they are an honest spinner, like a T-6, ham fist it and over you go,...
Forum: Soaring September 8th 18, 08:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Vario Comparison

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 8:21:39 PM UTC-5, Mike Borgelt wrote:

To digress from the vario topic slightly:
Which is why I said that flying attitude can kill you. I think this is what...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 18, 05:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Electric Winch Project

On Sunday, September 2, 2018 at 8:29:48 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:
You bunch of electric sissies! I want a glider with a huge freakin pulse jet strapped to it burning heavy crude or coal tar, throwing...
Forum: Soaring August 30th 18, 06:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Hard wax v/s liquid wax (and turbulators)

Didn't Dick Johnson run some tests on a Pik-20 that suggested that smooth but not polished was very slightly better than waxed to a mirror finish?

One would think that an Akaflieg would have looked...
Forum: Soaring August 27th 18, 04:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 10:03:17 AM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Just to point out some places do not have comms between glider and tow. Just signals.

Yeah, cuz radios are so, like,...
Forum: Soaring August 27th 18, 04:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
How high does your club tow?

Our club routinely tows to 3000' AGL (field elevation 537') for student flights, and unfortunately also for most other flights - a lot of glider pilots wouldn't want to hear what I'm saying about...
Forum: Soaring August 27th 18, 04:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Canopy opening in flight

On Sunday, August 26, 2018 at 4:35:35 AM UTC-7, Tom wrote:
Anyone know of an occurrence of a forward hinged canopy that opening in flight? Any possibility of this happening if the forward...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 18, 02:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Flying with Parachutes

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 1:06:07 PM UTC-5, Retting wrote:
Do not buy a parachute. Do you wear one flying around in your Cessna?
Plus, we do not wear a chute because we fly cross country,...
Forum: Soaring August 8th 18, 09:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 2:42:39 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
That is why all the operators will make sure the tow pilots know it is important tow the 2-32 at the correct speed. ...
Forum: Soaring August 6th 18, 02:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 12:10:19 AM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
I also experienced recently slow takeoffs in my fully ballasted 29 which felt very uncomfortable. The yaw string was all over the place...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 18, 02:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Emergency Exit

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 8:15:54 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:

First step in PT3 is to push stick forward, then AFTER establishing stable airspeed, initiating a steep turn. People...