A few newbie questions about the sport by [email protected]
A short while ago my daughter was considering joining a local Civil Air Patrol chapter, while attending the meetings with her I began to be interested in Gliding. I'm in NJ. If someone could help me with a few basic questions, I'd really appreciate it: 1. What is the average ground speed of a...
by Bob Kuykendall Go to last post
20 57 Soaring
Soaring in or around Maidenhead UK by John Huthmaker
I am heading to England this afternoon for work. I'll be staying in Maidenhead for about a week. If I have any free time, it would be awesome to get in the air. Can anyone recommend a place I could get some glider time in that would be relatively nearby?
Today 05:59 PM
by John Huthmaker Go to last post
7 8 Soaring
Anti-collision strobe lights by Gerry Simpson
Does anyone have knowledge of documented studies showing the efficacy of the strobe light bars which are available to be installed in the leading edges of the vertical stabilizers on gliders? Is there anything beyond anecdotal experience to support their use to improve visibility to other aircraft...
Today 05:35 PM
by Dave Walsh Go to last post
6 21 Soaring
2018 R4S (New Castle) Rescheduled by John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]
All, Due to Florence, the 2018 R4S contest at New Castle has been slipped by one week. The new dates are Practice 9/22 and 9/23 with competition 9/24 through 9/29. While this undoubtedly means a few won't be able to come, perhaps it fits into your schedule now. Experience the magic of New...
1 41 Soaring
stowing horizontal stabilizer on tail boom in trailer by [email protected]
I have seen a glider trailer in which the aircraft's horizontal stabilizer is strapped to the glider's tail boom for storage and transport. I can't recall where I saw this, and a google image search did not yield any hits. At any rate, strapping the horizontal stabilizer to the tail boom is one...
Js3 jet catastrophic failure. by Charlie Quebec
In the last east issue of Gliding Australia there is an incident report shown below. During the course of a cross country flight, the pilot elected to start the jet sustainer to self retrieve. The engine started normally, and the pilot tracked for the home airflield The engine failed...
by Emir Sherbi Go to last post
103 757 Soaring
Houston Area FIRC 19-20 Jan 2019 by Jamie Shore
The Houston area is having a glider oriented FIRC (Flight Instructor Revalidation Clinic) on 19-20 Jan 2019. More info and to Register https://sites.google.com/site/soaringclubofhouston/overview/2013-firc The SSF clinics are also open to any pilot, not just instructors, who is interested in...
Today 02:00 AM
by Jamie Shore Go to last post
0 8 Soaring
For Sale: New Gas Spring for Cobra Trailer 1300N x 1550 mm extended length by Craig Funston[_3_]
New, never used. HAHN-Gasfedern #1259542 Manufacture date 14.05.11 Always stored with with extension rod down to keep seal lubricated. Located in Washington State, USA $50 USD + shipping gmail address = nimbus3mail
Today 12:05 AM
by Craig Funston[_3_] Go to last post