Search: Posts made by: Dan Marotta
Forum: Soaring January 16th 19, 02:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Source for L'Hotellier Safety Clips

Thanks for the measurement, Tim.

There's so much **** at Walmart that it's refreshing to find something
good for a change.¬* With the 1.2mm measurement, I was able to relocate
what I bought.¬* 100...
Forum: Soaring January 16th 19, 01:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Source for L'Hotellier Safety Clips

Oh crap!¬* My smiley face did not get into the message...

BTW, would that¬* ocean front property that you're offering be anywhere
near Reno?¬* Looks like CA is getting ready to slide into the...
Forum: Soaring January 16th 19, 02:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Source for L'Hotellier Safety Clips

The clips I use are stainless steel and the correct size to fit the
hole.¬* Didn't someone else just suggest simply slipping a length of wire
through the hole and twisting it?¬* I suppose I could...
Forum: Soaring January 15th 19, 05:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainersqualify

Bad choice of words, I guess.¬* The 337 simply said (paraphrasing, since
it's at the hangar, not home), "Performed the installation in accordance
with STC number xxx, Installation Manual."¬* Not...
Forum: Soaring January 15th 19, 04:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Source for L'Hotellier Safety Clips

I think I had those on my '19 and they could be locked in the blind.

The Walmart pins were cheap, about $0.16 each, do the job, and in two
years not one has come out in service.¬* They're attached...
Forum: Soaring January 15th 19, 12:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Source for L'Hotellier Safety Clips

This was a couple of years ago.¬* I measured one of the pins that came
with my ship and looked for that specific size.¬* Here's an...
Forum: Soaring January 15th 19, 12:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Source for L'Hotellier Safety Clips

I bought a bag of 50 from Walmart for around $9.00.¬* I use them on the
l'Hotlier connectors for the ailerons in my Stemme and for my seat track
stops in my Cessna.¬* My IA approved their use.

On...
Forum: Soaring January 13th 19, 03:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainersqualify

.... And Darryl was very helpful to me in getting my TT22/TN70 system up
and running in my Stemme.

I would add that the Peregrine STC material does not address gliders
and, indeed no glider is...
Forum: Soaring January 11th 19, 03:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
How to Make a Poor Man's Spar Alignment Tool

I'm with Herb (I know, alert the media) but I assembled my gliders for
over 30 years without the aid of a tool, except for the Mosquito which
came with a factory supplied tool.¬* What was I doing...
Forum: Soaring January 10th 19, 05:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainersqualify

Start he https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/

The biggies are that the aircraft must be:¬* U.S.-registered, fixed-wing,
single-engine piston aircraft first registered before January 1,...
Forum: Soaring January 8th 19, 04:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
pure gliders with ads b?

I thought we were talking "certificated" here.¬* That would mean, to me
at least, that a licensed mechanic's signature is required in the log
book.¬* I think there are also regulations about...
Forum: Soaring January 6th 19, 08:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Passing of Derek Piggott

Condolences for a well known and loved pilot.

On 1/6/2019 12:30 PM, Duster wrote:
From Lasham Gliding:

"We are sad to announce that one of our UK (and Lasham) gliding legends has passed...
Forum: Soaring January 5th 19, 04:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
pure gliders with ads b?

If you do any wave flying a software switch is not a good option. On my
most recent wave flight I saw ground speeds as low around 8 kts.¬*
Imagine the FAA's annoyance when you "land" at 18,000...
Forum: Soaring January 4th 19, 05:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Wanting to start a new glider club

What an ingenious idea!¬* I'll bet the price difference between the self
launch version and a tug would make that an attractive proposition.

On 1/4/2019 2:12 AM, Jim White wrote:
Consider buying...
Forum: Soaring January 3rd 19, 05:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
13 meter class

I helped fly off the experimental hours on an early PeeWee.¬* It flew
pretty nicely but I never took it much past the field boundary.¬* Oh, and
I couldn't see it from inside the cockpit.¬* Standing...
Forum: Soaring January 3rd 19, 04:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
pure gliders with ads b?

I've installed a TT22, TN70 and the Peregrine switch in my Stemme, done
the 337 and the test flight, and just a couple of weeks ago gotten the
rebate check from the FAA.¬* Though she's a self...
Forum: Soaring December 31st 18, 05:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Recirculate cockpit air to keep feet warm?

Maybe things have changed (I don't doubt that newer fibers may be as
good as wool), but we were taught that leather was a terrible
insulator.¬* Maybe there's something inside your leather sailing...
Forum: Soaring December 31st 18, 01:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Trig TA-70 antenna installation

The GPS antenna for my TA70 was installed in the turtle deck area of my
Stemme.¬* An aluminum shelf was fabricated upon which to mount the
antenna.¬* It passed inspection and flight test and I got...
Forum: Soaring December 30th 18, 04:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Recirculate cockpit air to keep feet warm?

I have a Gerbing heated suit for motorcycle riding when I lived in
Upstate NY but it's too bulky and a big power hog so it wouldn't work in
the glider.¬* I could use the socks, however, but the...
Forum: Soaring December 29th 18, 11:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Recirculate cockpit air to keep feet warm?

And nothing beats wool for staying warm.¬* It even keeps you warm when
it's wet.¬* A little tidbit from arctic survival school...

On 12/29/2018 1:38 PM, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
I...
Forum: Soaring December 29th 18, 04:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Recirculate cockpit air to keep feet warm?

A cheap voltage converter is likely to be very noisy in the RF
spectrum.¬* I tried one for charging a pda and it continually broke
squelch on my radio.

And, as to the original topic of circulating...
Forum: Soaring December 28th 18, 05:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Taildragger Technique for Gliders

As a (retired) tow pilot, I have many, /many/ takeoffs and landings in
tail draggers and the vast majority of my glider operations are in tail
wheel equipped gliders, as well.¬* To put it bluntly,...
Forum: Soaring December 26th 18, 04:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Recirculate cockpit air to keep feet warm?

Oh, and look at the test video included with the ad for the boot
insulators.¬* It's quite impressive!¬* I had not noticed it before.

On 12/26/2018 8:19 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
I've had electric...
Forum: Soaring December 26th 18, 04:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Recirculate cockpit air to keep feet warm?

I've had electric insoles and they were worthless.¬* I've also used
chemical heaters and they worked somewhat, but it was uncomfortable
having something wedged inside my shoe.¬* Now we use...
Forum: Soaring December 26th 18, 04:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Looking for A-14 (or similar) - Thread Drifting...

Jeez...¬* What a dick dance it was getting my glider in from Mexico. It
was flown in to Laredo, TX where the customs guy chatted with the pilot
for 30 minutes or so and, next day, we took off for...