Search: Posts made by: Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 11:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Are air filters necessary on Pitot, static or TE lines?

Some are dust/dirt/water filters. In general, the bigger the better so a dirt load is minimal to flow. Keep in mind, some use them to keep out bugs of various kinds.

Also, some are "gust filters"...
Forum: Soaring December 5th 18, 07:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Geez! Riverdance...and this too?!?

I see your fiddle, raise you a banjo........

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gsC4kf6x_Q0
Forum: Soaring November 28th 18, 02:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
An example of why all pilots should use checklists...

I am sure everyone has seen this in the last few days......hang glider with passenger not...
Forum: Soaring November 28th 18, 02:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Africa!

It's a song about Africa, where they were flying long flights today.
;-)
Forum: Soaring November 23rd 18, 12:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MIT's Ion-drive sustainer takes flight

Wen it flies off the ramp, look for the long black bungee (20' or so long) that is visible at the top of the ramp.
Forum: Soaring November 22nd 18, 06:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MIT's Ion-drive sustainer takes flight

I saw that on a car forum. While interesting, I wish they had a RC modeler help with rigging the craft. I also wonder how much the launch device added to the flight distance......basically, would it...
Forum: Soaring November 22nd 18, 06:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Playing Chicken With The Birds

Poop happens?

LOL........happy T day everyone.....
Forum: Soaring November 21st 18, 08:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
IGC to replace FLARM ? ?

I believe we still have a pellet vario on the dash, I did a lot of contests and badges using a paper map and looking outside.......and cartridge film/instamatic cameras until I learned to develop my...
Forum: Soaring November 20th 18, 02:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Playing Chicken With The Birds

Agreed, most birds will dive if threatened, so, try to get above or move to the side.
We mostly fly with buzzards as well, good thermal markers. We also get some raptors like hawks, etc. We are also...
Forum: Soaring November 11th 18, 09:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Parachute source for gliders and winches

My understanding, walking (let alone running) in heels is tough...no, never tried either.....

As to suitability of one drag chute vs. another, seems like a major factor is if you drag it on the...
Forum: Soaring November 11th 18, 06:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Parachute source for gliders and winches

You talking RuPaul....?!?!
LOL......

If talking to Brits, be careful of fags or faggots......quite a bit different in the US than "Queens English"......;-)
[cigarettes or meatballs....in order.....]
Forum: Soaring November 11th 18, 06:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What is the best point to jack up a Cobra Trailer ?

Always look for 3 points of contact, lessens issues.
Granted, I have been bit by that, currently working on a trailer that is iffy since one contact is a swiveling tongue wheel.

When in doubt, find...
Forum: Soaring November 7th 18, 03:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vortex Generators on 182 tow plane???

I believe the major consideration n the first post is minimum good tow speed for the standard C-182 vs. the safe tow speed for various SGS gliders the n poor conditions.
The 182 already wants to fly...
Forum: Soaring November 5th 18, 03:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
looking for advice on lead n follow flights

Wife and I saw it Friday night, we loved it..... have fun.....
Forum: Soaring November 2nd 18, 05:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

Yeah, sorta.
;-)

Yes, lots of work if done right. I have seen the process, usually around for the final stages.
Peeps that think, "sure, I can get it done for a grand or two", is hopefully looking...
Forum: Soaring October 26th 18, 04:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

"Bam....be.......".
Yes, I have hit a deer at about 50MPH, amazing the damage that can be done. :-(
Forum: Soaring October 25th 18, 09:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

Having been around for "metal/fabric" gliders and composites over several decades, knowledge is great, but time is the issue.
I have been around from the beginning on metal/fabric hands on, watched...
Forum: Soaring October 23rd 18, 08:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Laister LP-49 FS For Sale @ Hemet 15 Meter

Obviously you didn't read the thread, as mentioned, the US government finally got done with paperwork and it moved to the Midwest.
Is it still flying, who knows.

Read, understand, THEN post......
Forum: Soaring October 21st 18, 01:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cheaper tows?

Pretty cool writeup on the plane. Thanks for posting.
Forum: Soaring October 21st 18, 12:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASK 21 grounded after November 30 ? ? ?

And opens fine with Safari on an iPad.
Forum: Soaring October 19th 18, 04:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CELEBRATING OUR 12TH BIRTHDAY

I just searched on FAA.gov, last AD was early 2017 for gliders with hand controls.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/airworthiness_directives/search/?q=Ask-21
Forum: Soaring October 17th 18, 09:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cheaper tows?

Wrong?

Answer this, did you/others run small engines for close to 2000hrs at full throttle with no rebuilds?
Frankly, not likely.

While most IC aircraft engines are archaic, they spend most time at...
Forum: Soaring October 17th 18, 09:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASW-19 Maximum Weight

Yes, some ships have an easily removable tail weight, normally top of fin easy to see with horizontal tail off..
There may be weight at the vertical spar not seen without removing the rudder.

As to...
Forum: Soaring October 16th 18, 09:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cheaper tows?

To sorta answer this, there is an ongoing push by AOPA and other groups along with the FAA (in the US) for a suitable unleaded fuel for use in the older "leaded fuel" engines.
I know we added a...
Forum: Soaring October 16th 18, 06:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASW-19 Maximum Weight

Quite possibly an estate sale from our club.
Yes, nice ship.
No, not crashed. Separate issue, but worth looking at.