Search: Posts made by: Jim White[_3_]
Forum: Soaring December 6th 18, 06:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
Class mobility

We did this in the UK in 2017 with great success. 15s and standards flew
the same task with standards scored at a handicap of 100 and 15s at 103.

There was a 15s champion, a Standards champion and a...
Forum: Soaring November 20th 18, 01:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders

At 15:56 19 November 2018, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Why would a glider "up set for Seb" be "tricky" and define "tricky"
please.
Thank you.

When Seb did a seminar in the UK I asked him where he...
Forum: Soaring November 19th 18, 10:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders

At 08:06 19 November 2018, wrote:
Hi Raul,
Jerzy told me the reason for Sebastian Kawa not to compete with the GP15
pr=
ototype were problems with its wing surface...
Forum: Soaring November 17th 18, 10:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
And Speaking of Batteries and Center of Gravity

At 05:36 17 November 2018, Mike C wrote:

Lead shot/epoxy slurry mix can be molded into about any shape and is
relati=
vely easy to source. Used it to make tail weights for my RS15.

Also lead...
Forum: Soaring November 16th 18, 10:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
US COMPETITION RULES COMMITTEE 2018 POLL RESULTS

Our experience with Distance Handicap Tasks is that they dramatically
reduce land outs, especially with the lower handicapped non turbo gliders.

Easy to set, easy to score, see www.handicaptask.uk...
Forum: Soaring November 14th 18, 10:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
LiFePO4 chargers

Not all LifePo4 battery chemistry is the same. When I fitted 2 LifePO4
batteries to my 27 I chose A123 because of their chemistry and BMC. See
he https://tinyurl.com/ybmof8qh

Unfortunately...
Forum: Soaring November 14th 18, 10:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
IGC to replace FLARM ? ?

ADSB is not mandated in Europe. The CAA wanted to mandate SSR in UK but
this was sent down pending the development of low cost / low power ADSB.
This is now available from Uavionics at about £400....
Forum: Soaring November 4th 18, 10:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
looking for advice on lead n follow flights

At 01:45 04 November 2018, wrote:

After following this thread I'm nonplussed with most of the responses. In
m=
y experience, nobody but nobody can be told or shown or...
Forum: Soaring November 1st 18, 12:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
looking for advice on lead n follow flights

Dave Watt helped me a great deal when I was learning down here in thermal
land. The take away lesson for lead and follow is simple: Follow means
follow. As soon as the follower does his / her own...
Forum: Soaring October 5th 18, 09:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
Becker AR 4201

At 19:54 04 October 2018, Ross wrote:
You are looking for a 25 pin MHED...
Forum: Soaring October 4th 18, 12:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

At 08:49 04 October 2018, Dan Pitman wrote:
It's OK Jim, we forgive your "inventive" thermal joining. It's only a
problem for one or 2 climbs anyway ;-)

Was that you? Shouldn't have such big...
Forum: Soaring October 3rd 18, 12:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

At 02:33 03 October 2018, Roy B. wrote:
But your camera idea does not even qualify as an accident avoidance
device
=
I have found my camera to be an excellent diagnostic device that may
prevent me...
Forum: Soaring October 2nd 18, 09:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

I use a camera in the cockpit. I find it an objective training tool.
Reviewing my flights and landings has led me to make changes in my flying
that have improved performance and safety. Cost under...
Forum: Soaring September 20th 18, 02:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
Soaring in or around Maidenhead UK

At 16:01 19 September 2018, John Huthmaker wrote:
I am heading to England this afternoon for work. I'll be staying in
Maiden=
head for about a week. If I have any free time, it would be awesome...
Forum: Soaring August 31st 18, 08:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

At 06:25 31 August 2018, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 10:44:06 PM UTC-7,
wrote:
Watch this.....and consider your life.

Forum: Soaring August 16th 18, 05:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
Again!

Thump completely screwed up flying in the UK around the SE when he visited.
And we didn't even want him to come He insulted our PM and our Queen, then
buggered off to his golf plantation in Scotland...
Forum: Soaring June 10th 18, 09:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
Cobra trailer stuck closed

At 03:22 10 June 2018, AS wrote:
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 9:21:30 PM UTC-4, Steve Koerner wrote:
Uh-oh, someone doesn't understand how gas springs work:

I do - I used to design similar...
Forum: Soaring June 5th 18, 10:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
Soaring Spot

At 23:23 22 May 2018, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 May 2018 17:16:10 UTC-6, Tony wrote:
Because no one has scripted the US Rules to work in SeeYou Competition.

Not true Tony, it has been...
Forum: Soaring May 23rd 18, 08:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
Soaring Spot

At 22:13 22 May 2018, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 May 2018 15:22:30 UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Just curious why US contests don't use Soaring Spot?

SSA competitions are scored...
Forum: Soaring May 16th 18, 09:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
Reducing collision hazard at contests

I have flown in many competitions both regionals and nationals. Most of us
know which pilots are the less safe and avoid them if possible (maybe
that's why I end up alone a lot!). I have also served...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 18, 08:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
Reducing collision hazard at contests

IGC document is an interesting read. Didn't see any reference to
calibration of barometric logger heights. The study used a vertical
encounter threshold of 15M. Most loggers are out by at least this...
Forum: Soaring May 13th 18, 07:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

I bought A123. Low power rating but still giving after 3 years.
Forum: Soaring May 8th 18, 10:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
Iran and GPS etc

I watch with despair as Trump tears up the Iran Nuclear Agreement.
However I wonder whether this is the same as trying to hold back
technology in gliding competition: no flight computer, no GPS, no...
Forum: Soaring March 28th 18, 05:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jim White[_3_]
Stress/Anxiety Driven Accidents

At 11:09 28 March 2018, wrote:
Mental and physical performance reduction does occur above a heart rate
of
=
@145 when that heart rate is stress induced. Equivalent or What...