Search: Posts made by: Bob Moore
Forum: Piloting January 10th 13, 05:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bob Moore
Homebuilt Question

Mark IV wrote
If flying wings are "intrinsically unstable", then why
did millions of years of evolution not produce birds
with vertical stabilizers.

Probably because nature has provided them...
Forum: Aviation Photos October 10th 12, 09:42 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Posted By Bob Moore
LAX today 10/1/12 [08/16] - IMG_7733 9-29-2012 392.jpg -136058

A Piston plane at LAX?

Nope... Looks to be an Allison T-56 turboprop powered
Convair. Same engine used in the Lockheed Electra and
Navy P-3. I flew them both.

Bob Moore
Forum: Piloting May 29th 12, 02:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bob Moore
Please ignore Mx

Nomen Nescio wrote
Sounds like nonsense to me..............

Same here. I spent much of my Navy and Airline career
evaluating pilots for employment or retention. I found
Mx to...
Forum: Home Built May 28th 12, 01:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Bob Moore
Looking for info on world record jet aircraft

Ted Parvo wrote
I'm looking for *verification for a claimed Guinness World Record for
World's smallest jet aircraft. A BD5.

Can there not be a "World's Smallest Jet Aircraft" without...
Forum: Piloting May 9th 12, 04:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bob Moore
XCountry logging

Don P wrote
Sorry to beat this dead horse.... Here is my trip:
Leg1 : 49.3 NM .6 Hobbs
Leg2 : 59.0 NM .6 Hobbs
Leg3 : 36.2 NM .4 Hobbs
How much of this can legally be...
Forum: Aviation Photos April 4th 12, 02:17 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Posted By Bob Moore
(Republic Seabee DSC_4491.jpg (1/1)] [38/47] - Sun 'n Fun Polk City Fl.

You are right, upon closer inspection it is clearly not a Seabee.
Blame it on small thumbnails and poor eyesight when I was editing the
file names. However, I have no idea what the plane...
Forum: Aviation Photos April 4th 12, 01:10 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Posted By Bob Moore
(Republic Seabee DSC_4491.jpg (1/1)] [38/47] - Sun 'n Fun Polk City Fl.

SeaBee?

Yup! SeeBee.

Nope! The posted picture is no Republic Seabee.

Bob Moore
Forum: Piloting January 28th 12, 10:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.students
Posted By Bob Moore
Is "Piloting" really this inactive lately?

Bug Dout wrote

Actually something caught my attention the other day: Craig Fuller,
Pres. of AOPA, says 80%-90% of people who start to learn to fly never
get a...
Forum: Aviation Photos November 22nd 11, 12:03 AM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Posted By Bob Moore
Twp aviation questions

First, what qualifies an airport as an "international" airport? I've
seen or heard of some "international" airports that don't seem to be
able to handle worldwide flights. Maybe I'm wrong.

The...
Forum: Aviation Photos October 10th 11, 03:39 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Posted By Bob Moore
Connie

What model is the automobile?
Forum: Piloting March 2nd 11, 07:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim
Posted By Bob Moore
Cirrus Acquired By Chinese Company

"Robert Barker" wrote
The Chinese bought part of GM so I don't buy them. Now Cirrus is off
my wish list.

Not too well informed...eh?

"But Buick, which sold more...
Forum: Aviation Photos February 27th 11, 09:38 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Posted By Bob Moore
One more confirmation

"Glenn" wrote
I'm told that all the F-14 aircraft are now razor blades.
That from a very reliable source.

I'm not sure that I would want to use a razor blade made
from aluminum. :) :)

Bob...
Forum: Piloting December 7th 10, 02:20 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bob Moore
AV8OR Ace repair

kieran Dempsey wrote
i have an AV8OR Ace just out of warranty and it has developed a bad
touch screen.
Is there an issue with the Ace screen? thanks to all.

I think that there might be an...
Forum: Piloting October 17th 10, 05:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bob Moore
Why are turbos rare?

a wrote
The reality is, no one has scaled a turbo down to where it might
replace an IO 360 or IO 540.

I think that you mistake "turboCHARGED" for "turboPROP".
I have flown...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules September 28th 10, 07:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Bob Moore
VFR Practise Approaches

Mike Adams wrote
The point you raised was about tracking the ILS while making a
straight in VFR approach. My only point was that if it's an offset
localizer (in the extreme) the tower might...
Forum: Piloting September 14th 10, 10:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bob Moore
Airplane prices are ridiculous

Mark wrote
I'll tell you why. After realizing the skipper I looked at wasn't
LSA I searched the ads and found more than one of them
that weighted 1100 lbs. This led me to speculate that...
Forum: Piloting September 3rd 10, 03:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bob Moore
Bi-Ennual Flight Review (BFR) with ATC COMS - Video.

a wrote
So if one is careful to have their review early in August of 2008 they
may act as PIC until the end of Aug 2010, get their review early in
Sept 2010, be PIC until....
Forum: Piloting September 3rd 10, 02:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bob Moore
Bi-Ennual Flight Review (BFR) with ATC COMS - Video.

brian whatcott wrote
It's interesting that the COD can distinguish biennial from biannual,

It dosen't matter....biennial or biannual, they and the abreviation BFR
are all incorrect. The FAA makes...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules August 18th 10, 05:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Bob Moore
Bi-Ennual Flight Review (BFR) with ATC COMS - Video.

" wrote
Every two years is considered "bi-ennial" (I mispelled it)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biennial

Hence BFR.

That's the only way I have heard the flight...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules August 18th 10, 04:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Bob Moore
Bi-Ennual Flight Review (BFR) with ATC COMS - Video.

" wrote

On Aug 18, 8:09*am, Sam Spade wrote:
What's a Bi-Ennual Flight Review?

BFR

Hmmmm....I can't find "BFR" defined in the regs either.
Perhaps...
Forum: Aviation Photos August 15th 10, 04:05 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Posted By Bob Moore
A Visit to Clark Co airport. - File 11 of 11 - Pratt-Whitney_T-34_B-17_testbed_NAN10-50.jpg (1/1)

"Bruce R" wrote
Story on this one?? Are the 4 main engines off and props feathered??
Test bed for the engines on the B-36??

A Boeing B-17 used as the testbed for the...
Forum: Aviation Photos August 2nd 10, 01:40 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Posted By Bob Moore
Mystery help required - 1 attachment

"Glenn" wrote
I took this at Chino, August 2008. I think it's a T-33 from memory.

I don't think so Glenn. I flew one of the Navy's versions way back in
1959 and in this photo, I don't see the...
Forum: Aviation Photos July 31st 10, 10:24 PM Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Posted By Bob Moore
Opps - Opps 02.jpg (1/1)

"Oviedo" wrote
A little duck tape and she'll be good as new.

Nope! In the aviation business, we call it "High Speed Tape".
And I have seen it stay on up to mach.82.

Bob Moore
Forum: Piloting July 14th 10, 11:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bob Moore
FAA Medical Question

T182T wrote

I have always had a First-Class medical, not because my aviation
activity (PPL/IR) requires it, but mostly in case I donít get in to see
the doctor in time,...
Forum: Piloting July 13th 10, 01:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Bob Moore
Where to post questions?

betwys1 wrote
Radalts are used in the approach/landing phase. Some don't register
above 2500 AGL. Do you really fly?

My C-172 partner is a Private Pilot with over 1000...