Search: Posts made by: R Leonard
Forum: Naval Aviation June 30th 07, 01:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Posted By R Leonard
WWII Japanese Carrier Approach?

Jeez, the only boards I remember ever seeing painted were on the roof
of an old warehouse on the approach to Oceana . . .

"WHEELS!"

Of course, in my case, my point of view was always from the...
Forum: Naval Aviation June 29th 07, 05:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Posted By R Leonard
WWII Japanese Carrier Approach?

On Jun 29, 12:44 pm, "Mike Kanze" wrote:
Sounds a bit like the FAA's Visual Approach Slope Indicator (VASI) system.

--
Mike Kanze

Hey Mike!

Not sure when the FAA...
Forum: Naval Aviation June 29th 07, 01:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Posted By R Leonard
WWII Japanese Carrier Approach?

On Jun 28, 1:59 pm, "W. D. Allen" wrote:
Did they do a flat "paddles" pass or a "mirror" glide slope pass?

WDA

end

"R Leonard" wrote in...
Forum: Naval Aviation June 27th 07, 06:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Posted By R Leonard
WWII Japanese Carrier Approach?

On Jun 26, 4:21 pm, "W. D. Allen" wrote:
What type approach did Japanese pilots use for landing on carriers during
WWII? Have any other countries since WWII used other...
Forum: Naval Aviation February 27th 07, 08:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Posted By R Leonard
Question For Old Naval Aviators

I can think of at least one F2H from VF-171 going off without benefit
of a catapult. Gent's not around anymore to ask about particulars,
but as I recall the story, for some reason they were unable...
Forum: Naval Aviation January 19th 07, 02:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Posted By R Leonard
Navy Wings?

vincent p. norris wrote:

This gets more bewildering by the minute. What do Parachutist wings
have to do with being a Naval Aviator?

Probably nothing, but the original poster was asking...
Forum: Naval Aviation January 5th 07, 01:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Posted By R Leonard
New NavAir Changes

Ski wrote:
And I thought the Marine lineage was weird - great rundown, now when is the
pop quiz (awesome)
But let's see, if one were to do a book on Navy Squadrons the lead
identifier would...
Forum: Naval Aviation January 4th 07, 02:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Posted By R Leonard
New NavAir Changes

Ski wrote:
was not VF-11 the "Red Rippers" or have I aged, VF-111 is/was "Sundowners"
but not to worry - your keyboard may have typed 111 but it didn't come out
that way - mine is like that all...
Forum: Naval Aviation December 26th 06, 04:48 PM Posted to soc.veterans,alt.military.retired,alt.military,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Posted By R Leonard
Crime of the Century: Are Bush & Cheney Planning Early Attack on Iran?

"Crime of the Century"???

It's only 2006, errr, near 2007, so we still have at least 93 years to
go . . . perhaps it's a little early to make that call. I think I'll
leave that for someone in 2100...
Forum: Naval Aviation December 7th 06, 02:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Posted By R Leonard
New NavAir Changes

wrote:
Per OPNAVINST 5030.4F, Enclosure (1), Para 3.b: "...The insignia used
by the [deactivated] squadron is also retired and remains with the
history of that...
Forum: Naval Aviation December 1st 06, 09:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Posted By R Leonard
New NavAir Changes

wrote:
Mike Weeks wrote:
R Leonard wrote:
Mike Weeks wrote:
Given the examples of late; it's coming from all over the place. i.e.,
VFC-13 Det KW wanted...
Forum: Naval Aviation November 30th 06, 09:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Posted By R Leonard
New NavAir Changes

Mike Weeks wrote:
Given the examples of late; it's coming from all over the place. i.e.,
VFC-13 Det KW wanted to use a _famous_ number, lineage history and
patch as a separate squadron. As a...
Forum: Naval Aviation October 12th 06, 03:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Posted By R Leonard
A-1D

M. B. wrote:
Anybody know what the max trap of a Spad was? Don't know much about this
bird but I walk past one every day. Seems like it would've been a good
airplane.

-MB

"Max Trap"...