Search: Posts made by: Dave Springford
Forum: Soaring October 10th 18, 12:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
HPH Twin Shark

So what are the base prices for these 3 wonder ships in the US?

Approximate prices:

Duo Discus XL 102,000 euro
Duo Discus XL T 129,000 euro

Arcus 127,500 euro
Arcus T 155,000 euro
Forum: Soaring October 6th 18, 05:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
HPH Twin Shark

Filling out the discusssion to consider other options, the Duo Discus XL is the best bang for the buck in the 20 M class, unless you are looking for a self-launch.

Duo Discus has about a 1 year...
Forum: Soaring October 2nd 18, 01:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
.CMR file ?

Raster map file IIRC.
Forum: Soaring September 5th 18, 08:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Bill Gawthrop(F8)

Sorry to hear of Bill's passing. I always enjoyed racing against Bill, he was a true competitor. My condolences to Diane.
Forum: Soaring August 29th 18, 07:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Cause of accident revealed...

On Wednesday, 29 August 2018 14:14:38 UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
We need a contest rule and an FAA regulation banning the use of flux capacitors. They are dangerous! And anybody on RAS who disagrees is...
Forum: Soaring August 29th 18, 06:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Pre Pan-American and 2018 Canadian National Gliding Competition

On Wednesday, 29 August 2018 13:10:25 UTC-4, Santiago Lopez wrote:
What are the Flarm and/or transponder requirements for the contest?

There is no requirement to have a transponder, and we'll...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 18, 04:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Pre Pan-American and 2018 Canadian National Gliding Competition

Andy,

We'll also be looking for rental gliders for pilots from South America and with Harris Hill only a few hours away, it is a good potential source for rentals. Can you pass the word and see if...
Forum: Soaring August 16th 18, 09:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Pre Pan-American and 2018 Canadian National Gliding Competition

I don't recall the exact dates, but off the top of my head, something like 28 July - 14 Aug 2019 for the 3rd FAI Pan-American Gliding Championship, including practise days, opening and closing...
Forum: Soaring July 10th 18, 10:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
skysight monthly subscription

Thanks for the clarification.
Forum: Soaring July 10th 18, 09:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
skysight monthly subscription

Can anyone answer this question?

When buying a monthly skysight subscription, does it cover 30 days from the date of purchase or does it go to the end of the current month?

i.e. if I buy it...
Forum: Soaring June 27th 18, 03:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Discus 2 Optimal CG location

Thanks Michael and Christoph,

Good information.
Forum: Soaring June 26th 18, 12:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
FS - New Tost Brass 200 x 50 Tail Wheel with tire and tube

Brand new brass tail wheel with tire and tube. 200 x 50 brass Tost tail wheel with 12 mm diameter axle hole will fit Schempp-Hirth Discus and Ventus. Weighs about 7 lbs to give a good rearward CG...
Forum: Soaring June 26th 18, 12:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Discus 2 Optimal CG location

Thanks Bif, That is what I am looking for. My club just bought a 2b and I'm trying to sort out the weight and balance for it.
Forum: Soaring June 24th 18, 08:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Discus 2 Optimal CG location

Can anyone advise the optimal CG location for a D2?

If the 2a and 2b have different optimal locations, I would like to know both.

TIA,

Dave
Forum: Soaring May 31st 18, 09:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
FS: K6 Mux 2 IOIO

New, in the bag, K6 Team Mux 2 IOIO with Powerflarm core and Cambridge 302/ GPS-Nav cables.

$120 including shipping.

Contact via the ad on...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 18, 03:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Reducing collision hazard at contests

To reduce gaggling and aggressive flying in contests, prohibit the use of parachutes. Would this change pilot behaviour, discuss ...
Forum: Soaring April 11th 18, 11:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Pre Pan-American and 2018 Canadian National Gliding Competition

We now have 27 pilots registered in 3 classes for the contest.

http://silentflight.ca/nationals/index.php/registrationform/registered-pilots

18 spaces left before we reach our maximum of 45...
Forum: Soaring April 3rd 18, 01:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
So much for straight-out fights...

Try crosscountry.aero

Nice interface, good statistics and maps.
Forum: Soaring March 28th 18, 02:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Confusing SSA hand signals that should be changed

Why the rudder waggle? What's its purpose? The only country in the half dozen countries in which I have flown that does a rudder waggle is the US.

From the towplane, I can barely see an ASW-27's...
Forum: Soaring March 25th 18, 11:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
ASG 29E Flight and Maintenance Manuals

Manuals are available for purchase from Schleicher. Talk to your local dealer or directly with the factory.
Forum: Soaring March 22nd 18, 09:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
New layout for OLC?

I'm using Firefox when I see 2 or 3 flights on the page. I tried with IE and can see 5 flights, but still no where near what was visible in the 2.0 layout.

Still don't like it - not one bit.
Forum: Soaring March 21st 18, 12:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
New layout for OLC?

Nope - don't like it. Not one bit.

Not an improvement at all. In 2.0 I can see 19 flights on my screen, in 3.0 I can see 2 flights without scrolling.

Don't like it. Not one bit.
Forum: Soaring February 19th 18, 08:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
2018 - AN EXCITING YEAR

"Slippery, difficult" is concept invented by old men taught in primary gliders. No student even understands what that mean if only thing he/she flies is Duo.

That still does not mean the...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 18, 05:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
2018 - AN EXCITING YEAR

I confess I don't really understand this supposed problem with a slippery glider that "builds up speed quickly".

The problem comes when teaching students. The more difficult (slipperier) the...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 18, 05:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring