Search: Posts made by: Kenn Sebesta
Forum: Soaring November 19th 20, 02:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Any AC-4/5 “Russia” owners out there?

There was a Yahoo Group for Russia sailplanes, it moved to some other service when Yahoo pulled the plug, I forget where?
I do have the s-tubes, I’ll keep an eye on it. I have the fairing kit...
Forum: Soaring November 12th 20, 04:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
The Apology

As this thread winds down, I agree with Kimmine and Mitch Hudson, it's important that it not be buried what Chip and so many others have been concerned about. Here are the relevant quotes:

"Yet she...
Forum: Soaring November 6th 20, 08:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Gliding Club Experiences

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 5:36:59 PM UTC-5, waremark wrote:
What would you think was a reasonable proportion for a student at a volunteer operated club?

I don't really have a strong...
Forum: Soaring November 6th 20, 08:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Sticking altimeter

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 4:28:54 PM UTC-5, Mike Reid wrote:
You're just flying too smoothly.

About my flying, said to no one ever. :D

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 4:44:13 PM UTC-5,...
Forum: Soaring November 5th 20, 09:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Sticking altimeter

My altimeter in my AC-5M is sticking. It works fine when the engine is on or when you tap on the window, but otherwise when gliding it gets stuck up to 100' worth. I suspect that a rebuild will cost...
Forum: Soaring November 5th 20, 08:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
First of the phony polls to be exposed: Florida

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 4:10:55 AM UTC-5, jpg... wrote:
Before I block this thread may I remind US readers that RAS is an international open group and not the place for people to vent...
Forum: Soaring November 2nd 20, 03:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
The Apology

Kenn, it would be my pleasure to have you to represent the soaring community... book the flight ASAP, I will pay for the trip down.

Bob--

I really appreciate the offer. I admire that you don't...
Forum: Soaring November 2nd 20, 03:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
The Apology

Mr. Bart--

I spent a fair amount of my life in a post-communist country, I have seen some of what you talk about.*Sighetu Marmației was a terrible place. However, I've also seen how chauvinistic...
Forum: Soaring November 2nd 20, 03:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Gliding Club Experiences

On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 11:20:51 PM UTC-4, Patrick wrote:
Hello Gliders,

I wanted to make this post to see other pilots experiences at their local gliding clubs. My experience at...
Forum: Soaring November 2nd 20, 04:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
The Apology

I can't help but be saddened by this thread. RAS has developed a reputation for general toxicity, and this outdated masculine toxicity on display furthers the impression.

It is extremely disturbing...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 20, 09:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Wheel brake effectiveness standards

That still seems a bit long: that revised calculation gives 307m to stop
after a 33kt touchdown: this number assumes I flew finals at 55kt on a
calm day before rounding out for a fully...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 20, 06:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Wheel brake effectiveness standards

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 11:50:32 AM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
Have you ever actually flown a glider? It is an innocent question, prompted by the seeming naiveté of your posts. Almost never do...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 20, 05:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Wheel brake effectiveness standards

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 12:02:17 PM UTC-4, Tango Whisky wrote:
40 kts corresponds to 20.58 m/s. (20.58 m/s) ^2/3 doesn't make any sense unit-wise, and the numerical result would be 7.36.
Forum: Soaring October 20th 20, 05:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Wheel brake effectiveness standards

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 11:41:08 AM UTC-4, MNLou wrote:
I've been working all year on limiting my ground roll.

I have a LAK17AT that, supposedly, has weak drum brakes. I dispelled...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 20, 04:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Wheel brake effectiveness standards

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 10:51:44 AM UTC-4, Tango Whisky wrote:
You've got your units pretty much messed up, and when you correct for that, your calculation doesn't make any sense.

I'm not...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 20, 03:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Wheel brake effectiveness standards

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 10:51:44 AM UTC-4, Tango Whisky wrote:
You've got your units pretty much messed up, and when you correct for that, your calculation doesn't make any sense.

Before...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 20, 03:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Wheel brake effectiveness standards

Brakes on gliders were almost an afterthought until the advent of motorgliders, which are heavier and require more braking authority. My DG400 had a Tost drum brake that was marginal. Schleicher...
Forum: Soaring October 18th 20, 03:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Wheel brake effectiveness standards

I think the summary so far is that there's an amazing range of brake effectiveness. One takeaway is that we like having brakes, but so far there are no stories about why having highly effective...
Forum: Soaring October 18th 20, 03:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Wheel brake effectiveness standards

Hi Kenn - not sure I understand! In the B4 and any other glider I am familiar with, the spoiler handle is on the left side and there is no brake actuation via the spoiler handle - not by pulling it...
Forum: Soaring October 17th 20, 05:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Wheel brake effectiveness standards

On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 10:29:03 AM UTC-4, AS wrote:
I flew my club's B4 a bit and as far as I remember, the wheel brake was actuated by a bike-brake type handle on the stick, so one...
Forum: Soaring October 17th 20, 04:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Wheel brake effectiveness standards

On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 10:29:49 AM UTC-4, Brian wrote:
IMO the aero dynamic forces are mostly not relevant to the brake sizing.

Hmmm, how sure are you on this? I can land my AC-5M at...
Forum: Soaring October 17th 20, 04:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
FES climb rate question.

Much of the noise you hear from any propeller-driven aircraft comes from the tips of the propeller breaking the sound barrier. That won't change between an electric vs petrol engine. The longer the...
Forum: Soaring October 17th 20, 03:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Wheel brake effectiveness standards

Does anyone have any data, preferably quantitative, about what sort of braking performance is required? On the one hand, it would seem that effective braking is primordial for safe landing in the...
Forum: Soaring October 11th 20, 03:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Engine bay fire detection with video camera

I think glancing at it just before you start the takeoff roll, then again after
you reach a safe height (300 feet, say) and every 20-30 seconds after that would
be adequate. But - I think you...
Forum: Soaring October 10th 20, 08:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Engine bay fire detection with video camera

On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 12:54:55 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I don't trust the heat sensor on the right side of the engine bay to activate soon
enough to land safely, especially for...