Search: Posts made by: Gavin Short[_2_]
Forum: Soaring July 18th 18, 07:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Cobra trailer aluminum vs fiberglass top

At 18:27 17 July 2018, Craig Funston wrote:
On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 11:00:30 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 11:45:05 AM UTC+1, Ken Payne wrote:
At 09:38...
Forum: Soaring May 20th 15, 07:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Sacrificial layer for gear-up protection.

At 01:48 19 May 2015, bumper wrote:
On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 2:38:43 PM UTC-7, PBA wrote:
Back on topic...is there good material to protect the underbelly of a
sa=
ilplane?=20
I would be...
Forum: Soaring October 12th 14, 07:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Flat-free glider tail dolly wheel

I got some details from my trailer manufacture and supplier of the
flat-free
wheel for the tail wheel from Blickle:

'The reference of the solid wheel is L-VWPP200G and it´s the same as used

by...
Forum: Soaring September 26th 14, 12:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Flat-free glider tail dolly wheel

I've just had my tail dolly converted to a flat-free wheel as part of the
package that comes with my new trailer.

http://aero-works.de/index_UK.html

Click on the 'interior' tab to see a converted...
Forum: Soaring February 3rd 13, 01:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Question about spoilers and pitch stability

At 04:42 01 February 2013, Larry Suter wrote:
In his article on avoiding PIO in Grob 103's,

http://www.soaringsafety.org/pilots/ic8.htm

Dean Carswell writes, "the more the airbrakes are...
Forum: Soaring February 3rd 13, 12:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Janus 2-seat glider as a club glider?

Yes, my German club purchased Janus C in 2011. Apart from a protracted time
getting it registered in Germany it was nicely overhauled by our club
before being put into service. It is used as a cross...
Forum: Soaring July 20th 09, 06:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Affordable Glider

At 15:48 20 July 2009, rlovinggood wrote:
On Jul 20, 11:37=A0am, "K Smith" wrote:
O.K. now that I am getting back into gliding, I will want to purchase
glider of my own in the not so...
Forum: Soaring May 10th 09, 05:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Translation into German

At 15:22 10 May 2009, John Smith wrote:
harold wrote:

You could try babelfish, it is free.

As I understand it, Udo's looking for serious help, not for a party
joke.

Try
Forum: Soaring April 25th 09, 09:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
New student pilot apprehensions

and a view from across the pond.

Flying straight is the hardest thing to do that's why we leave it until
last when teaching it. Its much easier to turn.
Learning on a winch helps this process...
Forum: Soaring April 10th 09, 07:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Maiden flight of the Arcus

At 17:50 10 April 2009, Maciek wrote:

The wing is totally new,

Actually, it doesn't look a "totally new" to me. I believe it's
flapped as

kestrell19 said, so it propably has a little...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 09, 08:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Winch Signals

At 17:45 09 April 2009, Nyal Williams wrote:
Andy,

Funny you should metion that; I used to work on pipe organs, but this
never occurred to me. I'm really interested to know the history of...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 09, 10:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Std Cirrus part needed & Tasman Vario

At 20:23 08 April 2009, wrote:
I need a fiberglass panel for the interior of my Std Cirrus. It is
the piece that goes behind the pilot's shoulders and has the seat
belts...
Forum: Soaring March 24th 09, 06:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Winch Launch Safety Study

At 19:30 22 March 2009, Del C wrote:
At 18:22 22 March 2009, Willy VINKEN wrote:
Can anyone tell me more about how a Standard Cirrus handles when
winched?
We use a GMC V8 325 HP petrol...
Forum: Soaring March 18th 09, 06:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Legal? - SPOT Helium Balloon Race

At 23:48 05 March 2009, BrianC-V6 wrote:
Here is the big kid version of it...

a balloon launch to 80,000 feet.

http://www.thefintels.com/aer/hab3.htm

Brian

Forum: Soaring February 1st 09, 11:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
getting youth involved

Proof that we're not all geezerz :-)

Try this instead... http://tinyurl.com/c8gzc2

That looks like a beautifully prepared K13 and a lot of fun. Our club's 2
seater is a Grob 103 Twin II Acro and...
Forum: Soaring January 18th 09, 11:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
F-16 glider

At 20:00 17 January 2009, wrote:
http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/SUPERGT/3384/

For those not familiar with fighter aircraft, EPU (Electrical Power
Unit)...
Forum: Soaring December 31st 08, 09:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
German/English Aeronautical Dictionary

At 22:10 28 December 2008, jcarlyle wrote:
With a quick Google search I found this site:
http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/english-german/aeronautical.html

Tried a few technical words and it translated...
Forum: Soaring December 9th 08, 06:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
ATR 500 display

At 00:04 09 December 2008, Martin Gregorie wrote:
I have a Filser ATR 500 that can be hard to read under some lighting
conditions. I'm not using the display backlight.

I'd be grateful if any...
Forum: Soaring November 12th 08, 09:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
winglet weight

At 20:11 11 November 2008, Udo wrote:

Finished 2.5 lb each. 22" high, mean chord ~ 7.5", major chord 18".
Check it...
Forum: Soaring November 12th 08, 07:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
wristbands for air sickness, do they work ?

At 17:21 10 November 2008, Frank Whiteley wrote:

Not sure about that. We had a know-it-all (according to the ride
pilot) young person with 1500 hours claimed on a flight simulator.
Puked his...
Forum: Soaring November 2nd 08, 08:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Into the Bowels of Drakness, Soaring March 2006, page 26ff

At 04:13 02 November 2008, Kemp wrote:
On Nov 1, 1:16 pm, hans wrote:
Dear Fellow Gliderpilots!

I would like to get a copy of the paper written by Kempton Izuno an
titles Into the...
Forum: Soaring September 24th 08, 07:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Standard Cirrus C-Hook

At 20:17 22 September 2008, Randy wrote:
Gavin,
The Serial number for this glider is #9. This is what is in the
cockpit, aircraft log books,
original Bill of Sale and on the Airworthiness...
Forum: Soaring September 22nd 08, 01:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Standard Cirrus C-Hook

Randy,

I see you have already been active on the Std Cirrus forum and have taken
my advice before I even posted it!

My only observaton is that you appear to be quoting a US registration
number. ...
Forum: Soaring September 22nd 08, 11:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Standard Cirrus C-Hook

Speak to your Schempp-Hirth agent of Schempp-Hirth themselves.
Schempp-Hirth were extremely accomodating with the tailplane bush
replacement kit for my Std Cirrus (and later winglets). Almost all...
Forum: Soaring September 12th 08, 02:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Gavin Short[_2_]
Wanted: Borgelt B40 Vario

At 12:18 12 September 2008, JJ Sinclair wrote:
On Sep 11, 9:23=A0pm, wrote:
I would like to buy a Borgelt B40 vario.
If you have one that's available, please drop me a...