Forum: Soaring July 23rd 20, 08:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flarmview versus Flarmview 57

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 7:58:25 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I'm interested in purchasing a Flarmcore soon and I'm curious which of the displays would work best. I have a spare 57mm...
Forum: Soaring July 13th 20, 09:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wing pin grease

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 6:38:46 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I have a v2Cx with 4 lift pins where the wings connect to the fuselage.

These get cleaned and greased with white grease on...
Forum: Soaring February 28th 19, 07:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tow rope musings - informal survey

I make our tow ropes about 210' long, out of 3/8" hollow-braid poly (bought through W&W because for some reason the local businesses that sell rope around here consider it a waste of time to sell us...
Forum: Soaring February 17th 19, 08:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sun Ship Game on Youtube - Complete

Back when the film was unavailable for purchase (a problem with music clearance rights I believe) I made my one and only trip to the world of torrents so I could see this movie. One person was...
Forum: Soaring February 1st 19, 04:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfing and Soaring?

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 3:26:39 PM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
Does anyone who's done both seriously care to contrast the two?

I've only read autobiographies of ocean wave surfers,...
Forum: Soaring January 15th 19, 01:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Source for L'Hotellier Safety Clips

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 5:18:34 PM UTC-8, Tango Eight wrote:
Page 5, Figure 4. https://www.alexander-schleicher.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Hotellier_LTA_93-001-3_E.pdf

Buy 'em from...
Forum: Soaring December 30th 18, 07:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for A-14 (or similar) - Thread Drifting...

I dislike border crossing myself. I'm considering going to Ephrata next year but I always have the fear that I'll end up detained on the way down or not allowed back into Canada on the way back:-)...
Forum: Soaring December 22nd 18, 08:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for A-14 (or similar) pressure breathing diluter demand regulator

Fuzzy memory says the pickup was in BC (Hope?), ultimately destined for
Oklahoma...

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com

Your fuzzy memory...
Forum: Soaring December 22nd 18, 08:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for A-14 (or similar) pressure breathing diluter demand regulator

Fuzzy memory says the pickup was in BC (Hope?), ultimately destined for
Oklahoma...

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com

Your fuzzy...
Forum: Soaring December 1st 18, 07:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Typical glider service lives?

On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 7:53:22 AM UTC-8, Boise Pilot wrote:
The three Blanik L-13's that just returned to service after having the world fleet grounding AD repaired now have 6,000 hour...
Forum: Soaring November 3rd 18, 04:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for A-14 (or similar) pressure breathing diluter demand regulator

On Tuesday, October 30, 2018 at 2:32:17 PM UTC-7, Keith Schwab wrote:
Hi Everyone!
I'm looking for an A-14 regulator, or something similar, to prepare for higher altitude wave flights in the...
Forum: Soaring October 17th 18, 03:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Harris

Apparently he passed through my club airfield on a cycling trip once - unfortunately that was years before I started flying so I never got to meet him.. Reading the relevant back issues of Soaring I...
Forum: Soaring September 17th 18, 08:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
stowing horizontal stabilizer on tail boom in trailer

We've had a few club trailers with this setup - much like the Kestrel picture functionally but made of two wood pieces with felt pads connected to each other by square section steel tube and strapped...
Forum: Soaring August 30th 18, 12:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Will a Blanik L13 open trailer work for an L23?

On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 8:26:18 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Is there anyone that knows if an Blanik L13 open trailer will work for an L23?

If you add a holder for the horizontal...
Forum: Soaring August 12th 18, 05:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flying with Parachutes

My club has enough parachutes for every glider we have and it's pilot's choice as to whether to wear them. The vast majority do. Here in Canada the type certificates for German gliders are almost...
Forum: Soaring August 12th 18, 05:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grob 102 maintenance and parts manual

Sorry for the late follow up but I got overwhelmed with other stuff - I looked at our 102 Standard III maintenance manual and repair manual and the airbrake system diagram doesn't look detailed...
Forum: Soaring July 30th 18, 06:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grob 102 maintenance and parts manual

On Sunday, July 29, 2018 at 7:00:06 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, July 28, 2018 at 3:21:47 PM UTC-4, Tango Papa of IN wrote:
Recently I Purchased an Astir CS. I was...
Forum: Soaring July 4th 18, 05:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Opinions on NASA lift theory?

"They make some of the ugliest planes
in the world, except for the Spitfire, there must have been a Frenchman,
an Italian, or an American involved in that design."

Yeah the...
Forum: Soaring June 6th 18, 05:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Here we go again

If you think ridiculous arguments about gliders and soaring started with RAS go back and read Soaring magazine through the 60's and 70's. The letters section had some pretty amazing stuff. The...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 09:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5th year of living dangerously with LiFePo4 batteries

I know of one glider here in Canada which burnt up while in the trailer as a result of a metal rigging aid falling onto the battery (placed in the trailer's cargo area) and shorting it out. I also...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 18, 08:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Good lubricant for assembly

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 6:34:36 AM UTC-7, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
I'm trying to find a good lubricant for assembly, available in Europe. Any ideas? Currently using regular vaseline.

If the...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 18, 07:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kestrel 19 info wanted.

"modified to have a double-panel spoiler, but it wasn't approved for general use and apparently didn't do much except make more noise"

Is more airbrake really needed on a Kestrel? I've never had a...
Forum: Soaring May 25th 18, 09:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pitot system - odd event

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 9:27:39 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 11:23:52 AM UTC-4, wrote:
This happened on my ASW-15 a few years back -...
Forum: Soaring May 25th 18, 04:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pitot system - odd event

This happened on my ASW-15 a few years back - when it was stored in the locked trailer in a garage over the winter. It was fine on the last flight of the year at the end of October and when I took it...
Forum: Soaring May 14th 18, 08:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 12:37:03 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Not to start another chapter in "Battery Wars" but I have a simple question about "drop in" LiFePO4 battery replacements for...