Search: Posts made by: Jonathan St. Cloud
Forum: Soaring June 4th 21, 03:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Flarm Target direction

I could not feed Flarm information to both the Butterfly Vario and the LX 9070. Flarm kept losing the configure. Richard disconnected my Butterfly from the Flarm and problem solved. I am wondering...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 21, 05:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Golf Cart Starter Burn Out

Don't abuse it apparently!

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 8:54:53 AM UTC-7, wrote:
We replaced the starter last September and the new one died last weekend.

It's covered by...
Forum: Soaring June 2nd 21, 02:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Oudie/Flarm alarm from my own ADS-B/Transponder

Thank you SO MUCH. I did use the Flarm config tool to make this config file. Will try again. Where do these lines go in the config file? I have a Garrechet mode S transponder. Thanks again!
On...
Forum: Soaring June 1st 21, 08:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Oudie/Flarm alarm from my own ADS-B/Transponder

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 9:35:09 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
I agree with Dan about the insane ranges. I recall Paul recommended it only for testing, otherwise you will get alert for every airliner at...
Forum: Soaring May 31st 21, 03:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Are areas of sink modeled well in Condor2?

Condor 2 his an awesome software available to glider pilots at a VERY reasonable costs. Could it be better, sure, but for the cost I feel it is not right to disparage the developers!
Would I like...
Forum: Soaring May 26th 21, 03:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Replacing aging club Grobs...best options?

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 9:56:54 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hello all! I am trying to gather information on replacement options for my club's aging Grobs. So far I have reached out to SZD...
Forum: Soaring May 26th 21, 03:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Looking to borrow an ASW-27 horizontal stabilize in SW USA

On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 9:05:00 PM UTC-7, 5Z wrote:
So I ended up borrowing a horizontal stab from a friend in CA, but unfortunately, it doesn't fit. So I put his elevator on my stab and that...
Forum: Soaring May 24th 21, 03:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
replacement instruments

Dear Phoenix: If you are not familiar with Mr. Leonard, he is a corner stone of gliding in America. He has the largest collection of sail panes in the US. He has been or currently is on the Board...
Forum: Soaring May 23rd 21, 06:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Soliciting Applications for the 2021 Wally and Muriel Leland Mentorship

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 4:55:07 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Request for Proposals: Second annual 2021 Wally and Muriel Leland Mentorship awards

Purpose: Provide advanced training...
Forum: Soaring May 6th 21, 09:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Hawk Wind

As for impulse buys, could be the IP from Air-Avionics for their butterfly is available at a reasonable cost for a younger person so inclined.
:( On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 10:31:16 AM UTC-7,...
Forum: Soaring May 6th 21, 09:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Hawk Wind

A bit pricey, yes. But then so is taking out a perfectly good ASH-26e engine and replacing it with the fuel-injected version from the ASH31mi along with a rudder from an ASH31 mi. To me a better...
Forum: Soaring May 4th 21, 04:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

If it is not on OLC it didn't happen. :)

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 7:53:32 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Check this out:

The world record that became nothing
On May 4, 1931, 90 years...
Forum: Soaring April 16th 21, 02:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Ah, Cowardice!

I am a lawyer, and I can tell you with legal certainly, that this newsgroup is for Soaring discussions.
There are many other forums to discuss the issues of the day NOT involving soaring. Please...
Forum: Soaring April 16th 21, 02:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

Just to be clear. Have YOU ever owned and flown a motorglider or sustainer? Or have your opinions been formed with no personal knowledge.
On Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 11:35:42 AM UTC-7,...
Forum: Soaring April 14th 21, 12:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

With Cu's over the higher ground I would expect those pilots to do better. There are no mountains in the Uvalde flight area, hills.
On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 6:39:17 PM UTC-7, ...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 21, 04:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
new SSA web site

A small number of people put a lot of effort into the soaring community to benefit all of us. Sure John has some good points, but the site looks much better and will only get a bit better as the...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 21, 03:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Transition from iOS to Windows PC

I would no sooner put Windows on my Mac than I would have a hooker sleep in my bed. Buy a cheap PC (i.e., any PC) buy a VERY good anti-virus software for the PC. It also pays to buy a
PC with a...
Forum: Soaring March 29th 21, 06:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Acid Al won't even DARE to watch Lyin' Biden's press conference...

Shame on you. The absolute disrespect shown for the newsgroup, for the will of the voters, for your own President is shocking and disheartening.
Soaring is the topic and as shown many times even...
Forum: Soaring March 15th 21, 04:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
The decline of gliding - a worldwide issue?

Perhaps we should "recruit" from youth sailing. It takes "ground work" before and after sailing. If I had a teanage kid, I would love to drop them off for half a day or longer!!
On Sunday, March...
Forum: Soaring March 14th 21, 06:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
The decline of gliding - a worldwide issue?

There is something special about flying a helicopter. Mankind's version of a magic carpet.

On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 11:43:09 AM UTC-8, Walt Connelly wrote:
'Martin Gregorie[_6_ Wrote:
Forum: Soaring March 10th 21, 05:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
$1 billion BMS Ooops...

What actions did you take to get out of the sustained sink? Having owned and flown pure gliders, sustainers, and motor gliders I can attest that an engine is not a substitute for xc skills. If you...
Forum: Soaring February 26th 21, 03:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
The Yellow Triangle

Same reason I can't ride a horse. They are just too big. I really don't understand what is so funny, every damn time I stir the stick...
On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 1:01:46 PM UTC-8, Hank...
Forum: Soaring February 25th 21, 01:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
The Yellow Triangle

The chief pilot at the airport I fly from had a different explanation for my genital bounces.
He said "It is you." I always suspected...

Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 3:46:13 AM UTC-8, Jon May...
Forum: Soaring February 18th 21, 09:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
What have we learned from all this?

https://www.theonion.com/rudy-giuliani-tests-positive-for-slew-of-obscure-bat-di-1845255014

On Thursday, February 18, 2021 at 11:07:19 AM UTC-8, andy l wrote:
On Wednesday, 17 February 2021 at...
Forum: Soaring February 18th 21, 06:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
What have we learned from all this?

No, that guy died from a heart attack as the car approached. Since it was a heart attack the auto insurance company won't pay.
On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 12:24:45 PM UTC-8, Dan Marotta...