Search: Posts made by: Dan Marotta
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 05:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Act now before your wings are defaced

Well, when you _do_ fly, keep the shiny side up!

On 9/17/2019 8:47 PM, wrote:
Hi Dan. First was an SF27 share then an SZD-55 on my own. About 3300 hours. I just fly dual now, but...
Forum: Soaring September 17th 19, 06:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Act now before your wings are defaced

Just curious, Bob.* Do you actually fly gliders?* What and where?

On 9/17/2019 11:00 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 11:02:58 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud...
Forum: Soaring September 17th 19, 05:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Ventus C vs LS6

$5 for a Mk-IV???* I think I was ripped off.* I payed more than $5 (but
I really like the Mk-IV).

And for Steve:* How many airplanes do you own?* How many gliders?* I
think Jonathan done you...
Forum: Soaring September 17th 19, 05:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Ventus C vs LS6

Hi Steve,

As* you know, I used to own that ship with a partner.* Is it still
registered with N511M?* I would have thought that with the total loss,
it would have been deregistered.

On...
Forum: Soaring September 17th 19, 04:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Discus a price reduced

Frankly, I don't see what effect flight hours have on a glider. Soaring
places so little stress on an air frame that it's almost insignificant.*
Having said that, I know that buyers feel that a...
Forum: Soaring September 17th 19, 04:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Any Glider Pilot Connections with Beale AFB in California

Years back, I needed parts for the oxygen system I was cobbling together
out of military hardware.* One of my stops was the Naval Air Station,
Dallas.* I was told at the gate that I could not...
Forum: Soaring September 16th 19, 04:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
A wooden control stick grip

Yes!* Now you can see the chipped paint on the steel tube beneath the grip.

Where are the Canadians with their beaver tails and flannel when we need
a fix to this vexing problem, eh?

On 9/15/2019...
Forum: Soaring September 16th 19, 03:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Act now before your wings are defaced

Canadians with guns, eh?* What a hoot!

On 9/15/2019 9:07 PM, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Don’t be so sure, Canada has a navy you know.
http://www.satirewire.com/news/feb02/warship.shtml

--
Dan, 5J
Forum: Soaring September 14th 19, 03:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Looking at today's forecast for Moriarty, NM, USA for 1300 local time
brings up a question.* I've always considered the thermal height, cloud
base, etc., to be MSL altitudes.* Indeed, looking...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 19, 05:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
LAK17A Canopy Support Tube

....Or you could contact the LAK factory...

On 9/13/2019 5:18 AM, wrote:
Wow, serious crack approaching faulure.
I would take it to a welding facility that is proficient in...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 19, 05:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
I just noticed

Sounds interesting.* Keep it coming, but maybe announce on this forum
when there's new functionality.

Great job, BTW!

On 9/13/2019 6:39 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, September...
Forum: Soaring September 11th 19, 05:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
I just noticed

On Skysight, when you hover your cursor over any location, a readout of
the selected data is displayed.

Is this a new development or was I just late in noticing?* BTW, I like it!
--
Dan, 5J
Forum: Soaring September 7th 19, 11:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have a military style breaker mounted to the left arm rest, under the
side pocket.* It is heavy and will make short work of a canopy if
properly used.* These were mounted to the canopy rails of...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 19, 03:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
another crash

Check the type certificate data sheet for your glider and the equipment
list.* The TCDS for my Stemme said words something like, "Everything in
the equipment list PLUS a canopy breaker...
Forum: Soaring September 6th 19, 04:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Logan, Utah Mountain XC Camp Report

Excellent report, Lee!* And good advice on the type of flying required
to climb the ridge east of Logan.

Next time you get there use water in that Discus.* You'll be glad you did.

On 9/5/2019...
Forum: Soaring September 6th 19, 03:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Wiring Harness Needed

What surprises me as a former radio maintenance technician then a
systems engineer is that they would change the wiring harness at all.*
All two way comm radios require the same basis signals:*...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 19, 03:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
another crash

Not having read the report, I wonder:* As the canopy rotates upward and
aft about the Roeger hook, given the position of the headrest, does it
rotate forward and upward hitting the pilot in the...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 19, 02:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Landing Gear Handle Interferes With Dive Brakes

Thanks Charlie,

It's getting late here so I'll look at it in the morning.

On 9/3/2019 6:07 PM, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Hi Dan, couldn’t find the thread where Stemmefires were mentionedso I though...
Forum: Soaring September 1st 19, 07:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
"Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

Does Stratux transmit?* I don't think so.

On 9/1/2019 10:31 AM, Linar Yusupov wrote:
Folks,

you are breaking spears while trying to decide if this foreign DIY open source and hardware project...
Forum: Soaring September 1st 19, 05:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Seminole Lake Gliderport for sale

Oh, give him a break.* Ol' CQ probably loaned his 7-year old grandson
his computer to play with.* Every one knows that no adult would make
such a stupid remark.* Maybe we should spin the kid up...
Forum: Soaring September 1st 19, 05:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Seminole Lake Gliderport for sale

But, but, but...* Will the hangar withstand the hurricane?* I truly hope so!

On 8/31/2019 6:28 PM, Gary Wayland wrote:
On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 10:27:58 AM UTC-4, Burt Compton - Marfa...
Forum: Soaring September 1st 19, 01:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Landing with broken rudder cable

I have a Dynon D-10a in my panel and I'm qualified to use it.* A lot of
these new glider computers have an attitude indicator function. It would
pay dividends to learn how to use it.

On 8/31/2019...
Forum: Soaring September 1st 19, 01:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Landing with broken rudder cable

That's why I've already made my bail out decision in the event of a
fire.* A friend in the Dominican Republic died because he didn't wear a
parachute and he couldn't get it back to the airport in...
Forum: Soaring August 30th 19, 10:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Landing with broken rudder cable

Be my guest.* If I feel the need, I'm jumping.

On 8/30/2019 9:17 AM, BG wrote:
Better to crash land in a field, than to have your plane fall to the ground while you float down in your chute.

--...
Forum: Soaring August 30th 19, 03:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
pipistrel Sinus Max Flex 2018 loaded

....new tail wheel...

With my much older Sinus, a large problem was keeping it below red
line.* With the 80 hp Rotax, it gets up and scoots!

And, for Dave:* There's a 180 in the hangar for when...