Search: Posts made by: BobW
Forum: Soaring September 9th 20, 01:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Virga, rain, cloudsuck - how close do you get?

On 9/8/2020 3:29 PM, ProfJ wrote:
snip...

The consensus seems to be: proceed with caution, unless there is lightning...

That was kinda my general thinking even *before* Ken Sorenson's (I...
Forum: Soaring September 6th 20, 05:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Virga, rain, cloudsuck - how close do you get?

On 9/6/2020 7:39 AM, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Saturday, September 5, 2020 at 10:49:25 PM UTC-6,
wrote:
On Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at 11:19:22 AM UTC-7, ProfJ wrote:
Forum: Soaring August 29th 20, 03:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Another E glider concept

On 8/28/2020 8:13 PM, kinsell wrote:
On 8/28/20 6:24 PM, Steve Koerner wrote:
Here is a varient of this motorglider with higher wing loading for very
strong soaring conditions:

Forum: Soaring August 29th 20, 03:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

On 8/28/2020 6:43 PM, 2G wrote:
On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 4:06:57 PM UTC-7, BobW wrote:
On 8/28/2020 3:55 PM, 2G wrote:
On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 6:37:52 AM UTC-7,...
Forum: Soaring August 29th 20, 12:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

On 8/28/2020 3:55 PM, 2G wrote:
On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 6:37:52 AM UTC-7, wrote:
It is unlikely that Oroc/Johnston survived the crash he was certainly
involved...
Forum: Soaring July 30th 20, 06:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

On 7/30/2020 9:34 AM, kinsell wrote:

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/216239

Duo Discus Turbo. Wonder if this as another case of over-reliance on the
motor?

Hey, it's drizzling...
Forum: Soaring July 30th 20, 03:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

On 7/30/2020 7:55 AM, kinsell wrote:
On 7/30/20 3:38 AM, krasw wrote:
We have a couple of water landings per decade. Nobody was ever killed or
hurt, but from our statistics it can be quite...
Forum: Soaring July 25th 20, 10:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
27 crash at Ely?

On 7/25/2020 1:17 PM, John Carlyle wrote:
Regarding un-commanded upsets, I’m surprised only two people have so far
written to say they have experienced them. Flying out of Mifflin, I’ve had
Forum: Soaring July 15th 20, 08:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Tow Pilots and CFIG Wanted at Sandhill Soaring Club (Michigan)

On 7/15/2020 10:34 AM, [email protected],com wrote:
On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 10:27:22 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Volunteer Tow-pilots and CFIG wanted to join Sandhill Soaring Club,...
Forum: Soaring July 14th 20, 03:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
eccentric wing pin tool

On 7/14/2020 7:45 AM, wrote:
A few of us were helping a fellow pilot assemble his brand-new HpH 304
several years ago, and clearances were so tight that it was a real
Forum: Soaring July 7th 20, 09:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Leader of the free world

On 7/7/2020 2:28 PM, Jim White wrote:
US to pull out of WHO permanently. Abstention is no way to demonstrate
leadership.

God help us all

No doubt this post will be deleted as...
Forum: Soaring June 9th 20, 03:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
William C Holbrook

On 6/8/2020 1:48 PM, wrote:
William C Holbrook passed away peacefully last night at the age of 98. He
was a long time family friend, professional pilot and holder of many
Forum: Soaring June 2nd 20, 12:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

On 6/1/2020 2:41 PM, Neal Alders wrote:

Some snipping/cutting/inserting below...but first, some personal bloviating
context of my own. (Sorry! It's pretty much unavoidable, IMHO...)

First, I...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 20, 02:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Private airport or small field for landout?

"Land in the dirt, you won't get hurt" has, so far, worked well for me.
Snip...

...So "land in the dirt and you won't get hurt" is again, a guideline, not
a rule. Lots of plowed fields...
Forum: Soaring May 26th 20, 02:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Private airport or small field for landout?

On 5/26/2020 5:19 AM, Charles Ethridge wrote:
On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 11:52:53 PM UTC-4, John Cochrane wrote:
This is an interesting post. Where are you flying from that you seem to
be...
Forum: Soaring May 13th 20, 03:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

..... Okay, well, actually that sounds like a simple, workable
solution. We use it on the flap handle when thermalling; a reminder to go
neutral or negative when leaving the lift. Any simple...
Forum: Soaring May 7th 20, 04:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Purchase of glider from Canada

The advantage of an Experimental glider, is that the owner can do whatever
he likes to it. The disadvantage of an Experimental glider, is that the
previous owner did whatever he liked to...
Forum: Soaring February 28th 20, 05:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
A couple SSA 2020 convention presentations online...

On 2/28/2020 9:37 AM, wrote:

As someone who spent their youth engaged in the parachute arts I don't
think a practice jump is going to help.

Chiming in here in the BTDT...
Forum: Soaring February 27th 20, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Crazies At The Gliderport

On 2/26/2020 2:38 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 13:28:05 -0700, BobW wrote:

Man! Some of the really foolish things most of us have done and
survived!!! (They're...
Forum: Soaring February 26th 20, 08:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Crazies At The Gliderport

On 2/26/2020 10:54 AM, danlj wrote:
On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 1:11:06 PM UTC-6, John Cochrane wrote:
Soaring magazine had an article a while ago summarizing a crash involving
a dog in...
Forum: Soaring February 12th 20, 06:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
_Glider_Towplane_Mid-air_–_TP_PowerFLARM_Inop

Further contributing to thread drift...

On 2/11/2020 9:46 PM, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 10:53:29 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
When I was towing, I would visually confirm that...
Forum: Soaring January 17th 20, 10:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
WWGC.

Huge resources are committed to WGC. I think the organizers and the
sanctioning body owe the competitors a fair competition at a minimum.

225 pts means you aren't serious about the...
Forum: Soaring January 12th 20, 05:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
Wintertime and navigation...

So it's wintertime in the northern hemisphere (short days/long nights), and on
a recent thread it's (yet again) been implied out how crucial GPS is to
routine navigation (you're doomed without it),...
Forum: Soaring December 27th 19, 05:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
FAI ratifies records of illegal flights.

On 12/27/2019 10:12 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
I'm astonished that everyone seems to be OK with "winning" recognition by
not completing a task under the established rules.

I once denied a...
Forum: Soaring December 26th 19, 05:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BobW
trailer sway mitigation TSM

On 12/26/2019 8:42 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 9:19:35 AM UTC-6, Mike N. wrote:
Wow, great examples of the tail wagging the dog.

On a less...