Forum: Soaring August 20th 08, 06:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New wave window rules in Reno Area

Hi Gang
My account still contained my old email address. I think I have now
got rid of it. My current email address is .
Dave
Forum: Soaring August 20th 08, 05:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New wave window rules in Reno Area

Hi Gang
As of August 1, 08 a new set of rules, agreed to between the FAA and
Pasco, has taken effect for the 2 wave
window areas both north and south of Reno Intl. These new rules
initiated by the...
Forum: Soaring July 5th 08, 05:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SPOT Versus ELT Analysis (Long)

Hi Gang
Having used a Spot for some time now I agree that it is almost an
essential safety item for XC either in a glider or power plane. All
modern power planes require not only the use of an ELT...
Forum: Soaring June 17th 08, 04:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting
SPOT messenger

Hi Paul
Spot does not attach to glider straps because the Spot clip is too
small and I thank you Paul for making available the pouch. I have had
a Spot for about a month now and have used it on...
Forum: Piloting June 17th 08, 04:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting
SPOT messenger

Hi Paul
Spot does not attach to glider straps because the Spot clip is too
small and I thank you Paul for making available the pouch. I have had
a Spot for about a month now and have used it on...
Forum: Soaring May 8th 08, 05:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Which PDA ?

Hi Gang
My 2 cents worth. All of the current PDAs are very poor in bright
sunlight and are best in the reflective mode without a backlight.
I started with the 1550, then the 3750, then the Navman...
Forum: Soaring March 22nd 08, 02:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PDA recommendation

I went straight to the HP site and found what I have is a iPAQ 5900
although that is not mentioned anywhere on the unit nor in the
instruction manual. Having also a iPAQ 3850 which I use in...
Forum: Soaring March 21st 08, 07:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PDA recommendation

I have been using a HP IPAQ "Travel Companion" which I think is the
5150 although this does not appear on the unit, neither in the manual.
The display is similar to the 3850 series which means poor...
Forum: Soaring March 9th 08, 06:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Medium performance gliders

I have been fortunate in owning 3 gliders for many years - a
DG800B, Stemme S10 VT and a SparrowHawk. These 3
aircraft are the extremes. Also until very recently I flew club
ships such a a 1-34....
Forum: Soaring February 20th 08, 07:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Regulations covering Oxygen use

The 2 relevant sections of the FARs are 91.211 and 23.1447.
Section 91 is contained in the 2008 FAR/AIM book whereas
you will have to Google section 23.
I think the interesting point from section...
Forum: Soaring February 18th 08, 07:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Experimental LSA gliders?

On Feb 18, 9:49 am, Marc Ramsey wrote:
wrote:
OK Guys and Gals convince me - give me a single reason, just a
single rational reason to...
Forum: Soaring February 18th 08, 06:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Experimental LSA gliders?

On Feb 17, 9:51 pm, "Wayne Paul" wrote:
"Wayne Paul" wrote in message

Forum: Soaring February 18th 08, 06:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Experimental LSA gliders?

On Feb 17, 7:13 pm, wrote:
The main benefit would probably be with a special light sport glider
like the TST -14 or Urban Air Lambada. If someone wanted to buy one
Forum: Soaring February 18th 08, 03:20 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Experimental LSA gliders?

Hi Gang
Having a LSA power plane and in reviewing the proposed new
experimental certifications (FAA Order 8130.2F) which includes gliders
left me very puzzled. Why would anyone register a glider or...
Forum: Soaring February 13th 08, 06:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FWD: Argentavis from the Miocene

Hi Gang
This is a tough and pretty rigorous article on the flying
characteristics of todays' and yesterdays' large soaring birds with
comparisons to modern gliders (ASW21). Worth a read....
Forum: Soaring January 11th 08, 07:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Troubling story and some questions

Your interpretation of the FARs is incorrect. To be compliant with
Part 103 the basic weight of an unpowered ultralight vehicle (FAA
wording not mine) must be less than 155lbs excluding safety...
Forum: Soaring January 11th 08, 06:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Troubling story and some questions

On Jan 11, 12:06 am, Soarin Again
wrote:
The SparrowHawk may be either operated as an ultralight
vehicle or
an experimental aircraft - choice of...
Forum: Soaring January 10th 08, 10:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Troubling story and some questions

On Jan 9, 11:51 pm, Soarin Again
wrote:
IN A SPARROWHAWK. Those things weigh like 145 pounds
empty not exactly the aircraft I want to use for testing
Forum: Soaring January 7th 08, 06:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Follow up: Troubling story etc

Hi Craig
Thanks for pointing out the Pipestrel manual. It is superb and is
much better than any aircraft manual I have ever seen. Yes it has an
excellent discussion of flutter and Pipestrel's...
Forum: Soaring January 6th 08, 08:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Follow up: Troubling story etc

Hi Gang
I received a large number of responses to my posting both on RAS
(25) and privately and would like to respond to some of the issues.
Firstly I would like to reiterate that the reason for my...
Forum: Soaring December 31st 07, 07:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Troubling story and some questions

Hi Gang
Last week Minden had some excellent wave soaring. Off tow at 7.7k
msl and within minutes up to 18k. I decided to go up north skirting
Reno Intl. I had the transponder on and was monitoring...
Forum: Soaring November 1st 07, 05:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Why are so many Stemme S10-VT motorgliders for sale?

Firstly a correction - I said 100k XCs. I meant 1000k XCs. That said
comment on medicals and reasonable behavior. The light sport aircraft
category,
as has been described, needs either a FAA...
Forum: Soaring October 31st 07, 06:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Why are so many Stemme S10-VT motorgliders for sale?

This is a good thread and I would like to add my 2 cents worth. I
did have 5 flying machines, 2 single engine aircraft and 3 gliders. I
decided a month ago to reduce my fleet. With the power planes,...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 07, 10:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
For sale DG800B

I have decided to down size my fleet of soaring machines to the
SparrowHawk and the Stemme S10-VT. I have owned the DG800B since new
in 1998. It comes with a Cobra trailer, single person assembly...
Forum: Soaring April 21st 07, 07:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soaring Chos Malal Argentina

Could anyone please give me or direct me to contacts for the Soaring
Club or the soaring FBO in Chos Malal, Patagonia. I have attempted to
search the WEB through Google without success. Chos Malal is...