Forum: Soaring July 16th 14, 08:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Contest Class Development for Future Success - The Case fordeveloping the Handicapped Classes

Standard could pool both with club and 15 meter. Modern standard will be part of club. The only real issue is whether standard gets a handicap in 15 meter, and along with that whether older 15 get...
Forum: Soaring June 24th 14, 01:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Region 9 day 1 Std Class

(Hit send by accident) to nationals once they are well accepted
John cochrane BB
Forum: Soaring June 24th 14, 01:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Region 9 day 1 Std Class

My view: we have a really nice drop-a-day scoring provision in the rules. John good gets major credit for working out all the bugs. It would address situations such as this one. In my view it would...
Forum: Soaring June 2nd 14, 09:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
spot

After I hit tracks (foot mark) my spot just flashes red, with no tracks being sent. Fresh batteries, clear view of the sky, turning it on and off again make no difference. Has anyone experienced...
Forum: Soaring May 27th 14, 01:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Best Club class glider

In all this strategizing remember that what works for g dale might not work for everyone. G can use lower handicap and catch/ stay with the gaggle. A less stellar pilot will lose the gaggle. A better...
Forum: Soaring May 26th 14, 05:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New Generation Vario's

I have a 302, a CN vario, and a V9 installed here and there so can compare these. I'm also very fussy about varios, as the CN people will attest.

The 302 is a very very good vario. But it's not in...
Forum: Soaring May 17th 14, 02:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Aircel 7 Coaxial Cable BNC/TNC Connector

On Friday, May 16, 2014 5:11:03 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
Wondering if anyone else has dealt with this recently (trying to save an hour of Googling). My new ASG-29 shipped from the factory with a...
Forum: Soaring April 16th 14, 03:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus 2cxa with FES

I question your statement about unlandable terrain. The very few racers that might have flown over unlandable terrain without a safe glide cushion are either not with us any more, or have broken a...
Forum: Soaring March 27th 14, 02:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Canadian contests & SSA ranking points

We had a quick chat on the Canadian side of the equation about this.
The Canadian Nats would have to be sanctioned by the SSA (pay the
contest fee and possible other issues). Each contest...
Forum: Soaring March 6th 14, 05:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
B MAPPER

There are lots of changes and improvements to RAP v2. In particular, the planetary boundary layer (PBL) formulation is completed changed and improved. So, likely, you should see better more...
Forum: Soaring March 2nd 14, 03:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SSA Region 1 Races?

We do something similar in Northern Illinois. Rules he

http://faculty.chicagobooth.edu/john.cochrane/soaring/index.htm#nisc

Since moving from club to club is hard, we score flights originating...
Forum: Soaring March 1st 14, 11:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pylon mounted wings superior?

At the worlds in 2010, Prof Boermans gave an interesting talk on wing-fuselage drag, suggesting that moving the wing to the top of the fuselage -- not shoulder, and not pylon -- could reduce drag. An...
Forum: Soaring February 28th 14, 04:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider Crash Argentina

On Friday, February 28, 2014 9:27:22 AM UTC-6, Papa3 wrote:

I think back to the one time when I dinged an airplane.

Great story P3.

The insidious part: if you are tired, stressed, getting...
Forum: Soaring February 28th 14, 02:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider Crash Argentina

On Friday, February 28, 2014 12:16:43 AM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
Unfortunately, all that can be learned is what we already know: you must fly coordinated and maintain airspeed in the pattern. This is a...
Forum: Soaring February 23rd 14, 03:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider Crash Argentina

Not so pretty. It looks like the cockpit has sheared off from the fuselage right at the front of the wing. That may well be what it looks like after a stall or spin with very nose-down arrival, which...
Forum: Soaring February 17th 14, 08:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gordon Boettger Downwind Wave Record Attempt - Mon 02/17/2014

The satellite loop is interestingly blue. Gorgeous lennies all over Oregon. Was this forecast?

John Cochrane
Forum: Soaring February 17th 14, 07:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FES - Take 2

Another twist: How do you handicap non-MGs on weak days when a pure sailplane can dump ballast? Getting rid of the engine and fuel weight is impossible in flight.

Possibly you've already...
Forum: Soaring February 17th 14, 06:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FES - Take 2

He doesn't get more distance, but does have the benefit of the bonus and avoiding a retrieve.

I would have pushed back hard on this, buit don't serve on the RC any more.

Grumpy

Forum: Soaring February 15th 14, 01:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FES in Contests

A few thoughts.

For now, the Handicap Committee and Rules Committee have taken the view that handicapping should be based on the aerodynamic character of the glider, with no regard to engine...
Forum: Soaring February 7th 14, 05:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Final Florida Sailpane Grand Prix to be held this Feb 14-16, 2014!

If interested in attending this non-sanctioned fun event, ...

We did put grand prix starts in the rules just for you guys, so such events can be sanctioned.

"Sanctioned" and "fun" are not...
Forum: Soaring February 7th 14, 04:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hypothetical Scenario #1 - Urgent Action required

Are your examininees required to so no-spoiler approaches all the way to landing in glass (K-31/G-103)?

The PTS no longer require no spoilers all the way to landing. An examiner should not be...
Forum: Soaring February 6th 14, 07:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cool pictures

I want to make pictures like this!

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/scientists-why-helicopters-are-so-loud-2014-2

They would be useful for glider airflow studies, and you're staring at a thermal...
Forum: Soaring February 6th 14, 07:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hypothetical Scenario #1 - Urgent Action required

A thought not mentioned -- is the "spin" really a spin? With one spoiler out, are you not just in an uncommanded turn, or spiral dive? Spiral dive vs. spin confusion is suggested in a few recent...
Forum: Soaring February 6th 14, 05:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hypothetical Scenario #1 - Urgent Action required

I've been thinking this would be a fun scenario to practice on a BFR, to give the student (who will surely appreciate it) practice at handling an emergency that really isn't an emergency.

When the...
Forum: Soaring February 1st 14, 09:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Low Altitude Troubles

But what are your thoughts about thermaling low above ridges or hills? Are the same rules apply? Many of us do it often and usually it is hard to tell your exact altitude above the ridge if you...