Search: Posts made by: Ventus_a
Forum: Soaring November 20th 20, 08:02 AM
Posted By Ventus_a
The max wing loadings shown on the polar chart...

The max wing loadings shown on the polar chart differ by c. 5 kg/m so that fits with what is shown as does the equal min wing loadings

:-) Colin
Forum: Soaring October 6th 20, 10:37 PM
Posted By Ventus_a
[QUOTE='Eric Greenwell[_4_];1030860']The EB29...

[QUOTE='Eric Greenwell[_4_];1030860']The EB29 with 25M span is listed at 63, same as the 21 M span JS2. Four more
meters doesn't buy you what it used to!

Only a lower span loading

:-) Colin
Forum: Soaring October 5th 20, 10:42 PM
Posted By Ventus_a
Yeah, not funny really. Had similar a few years...

Yeah, not funny really.

Had similar a few years back at my old club. Mayday call followed by something along the lines of 'the controls are jammed and I'm bailing out'.

Longish silence then 'Why...
Forum: Soaring September 29th 20, 11:52 AM
Posted By Ventus_a
No to a damaged canopy but I have personally seen...

No to a damaged canopy but I have personally seen 3 gliders with the rope fouling the wing and in one of those cases it had done a wrap around the tailplane resticting the elevator

:-)
Forum: Soaring September 21st 20, 10:59 PM
Posted By Ventus_a
https://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/en/winglets-der-neo-...

https://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/en/winglets-der-neo-reihe
Forum: Soaring August 30th 20, 04:34 AM
Posted By Ventus_a
SH MB No. 349-13

Hi

Does anybody have a copy of the SH Modification Bulletin No. 349-13 for the Ventus b/16.6 they can share? It relates to converting the b/16.6 from a pure sailplane to a turbo and using a bT...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 20, 02:14 AM
Posted By Ventus_a
Interesting concept although on first look got to...

Interesting concept although on first look got to wonder if he was dreaming of an updated, stretched and powered 2 seat Salto that could fly him to fame and fortune (just kidding about the fortune)...
Forum: Soaring July 2nd 20, 10:50 PM
Posted By Ventus_a
Hi Steve I had the same question a few years...

Hi Steve

I had the same question a few years back and a friend who is an electronics whizz offered to reprogram my L-Nav from 5.7 to 5.8.

Apparently all he had to do was read a 5.8 eprom and then...
Forum: Soaring June 23rd 20, 01:15 AM
Posted By Ventus_a
That seems to be a good way to go. I'm talking...

That seems to be a good way to go. I'm talking to one of the painters at my work and he has offered to help with my glider and trailers. The company allows and encourages 'homers'

We have a 70m...
Forum: Soaring June 10th 20, 11:33 PM
Posted By Ventus_a
Might end up earning a Darwin Award if they don't...

Might end up earning a Darwin Award if they don't up their game somewhat lol
Forum: Soaring June 9th 20, 11:45 PM
Posted By Ventus_a
Hi Dan The winch driver was an older gentleman...

Hi Dan

The winch driver was an older gentleman and he bailed out of the winch. I suspect lack of familiarity with the cutting system and a sense of his own vulnerability prevailed. Since then a...
Forum: Soaring June 9th 20, 12:59 AM
Posted By Ventus_a
Before I bought my Ventus a, the previous owner...

Before I bought my Ventus a, the previous owner rotated the hook backwards as per Schempp instructions to reduce early back releasing. The slot the back release hook moves in wasn't enlaged to the...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 20, 11:07 PM
Posted By Ventus_a
Not quite what you have in mind but I've towed...

Not quite what you have in mind but I've towed behind one of these back in the 80s and it was a pretty darn good towplane and apparently good to...
Forum: Soaring May 17th 20, 02:20 AM
Posted By Ventus_a
Hi Phil Am I right to think that the Omarama...

Hi Phil

Am I right to think that the Omarama Gliding Club will continue to operate there along with the Canterbury Gliding Club over xmas or is that likely to be just wishful thinking on my...
Forum: Soaring May 9th 20, 03:35 AM
Posted By Ventus_a
A wing construction shot from 06 :-) Colin

Forum: Soaring May 9th 20, 03:23 AM
Posted By Ventus_a
2 mosquito fuselages underway in 05, with one...

2 mosquito fuselages underway in 05, with one just having been removed from the moulds with the help of a bunch of willing conscripts.

:-) Colin
Forum: Soaring May 8th 20, 12:24 AM
Posted By Ventus_a
The guy that built the airframe for KA114 was a...

The guy that built the airframe for KA114 was a member of my gliding club. It was always interesting popping into his workshop which was only a couple of minutes from the...
Forum: Soaring April 29th 20, 09:11 AM
Posted By Ventus_a
Handley Page Victor. The T tail is the giveaway ...

Handley Page Victor. The T tail is the giveaway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handley_Page_Victor
Forum: Soaring April 27th 20, 02:46 AM
Posted By Ventus_a
Hi Eric In 1992 the K21 had a TN for service...

Hi Eric

In 1992 the K21 had a TN for service life extension issued that started with inspections at 3000 and 6000 hrs followed with inspection again at 7000 hrs and at thousand hour intervals to a...
Forum: Soaring April 27th 20, 02:03 AM
Posted By Ventus_a
Hi Martin The original FM was updated in 1991 to...

Hi Martin

The original FM was updated in 1991 to reflect the new information from the Edwards spinning flight test...
Forum: Soaring April 24th 20, 10:17 PM
Posted By Ventus_a
The spinning flight test report Martin refers to...

The spinning flight test report Martin refers to can be found here. The testing was carried out by the Airforce Flight Test Center at Edwards Airforce...
Forum: Soaring April 20th 20, 01:35 AM
Posted By Ventus_a
Hi Uli Could you elaborate on the supposedly...

Hi Uli

Could you elaborate on the supposedly broken rules so we can learn more re winch launching?

TIA
Colin
Forum: Soaring April 19th 20, 10:35 AM
Posted By Ventus_a
Not a movie but William Conrad as Frank Cannon...

Not a movie but William Conrad as Frank Cannon flying a Caproni in one episode. I was in my teens and just started gliding when I saw that

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066636/?ref_=ttep_ep_tt
Forum: Soaring April 19th 20, 09:20 AM
Posted By Ventus_a
Hi Nick I gotta think that recognizing best...

Hi Nick

I gotta think that recognizing best performances in the preceeding year is a way to meet your original intent, that is giving people something to shoot for/bragging rights.

Certainly where...
Forum: Soaring April 17th 20, 11:16 PM
Posted By Ventus_a
+1 to each of those movies Colin