Search: Posts made by: Bruce
Forum: Soaring December 3rd 08, 09:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
Parachute 20 year limit

qflyer1 wrote:
On Dec 3, 11:34 am, wrote:
I have a security chute that is older than twenty years of
experience. Are you guys finding that the repackers are refusing...
Forum: Soaring November 28th 08, 05:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
Why acutate the spoilers with a lever on the stick instead ofthe spoilers?

Eric Greenwell wrote:
DRN wrote:
On Nov 27, 7:00 pm, Nyal Williams wrote:
Which gliders add flaps when spoilers are activated?

IIRC, LS, DG, Lange...

Forum: Soaring November 26th 08, 09:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
Crazy Glider Videos

Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Nov 27, 3:17 am, vontresc wrote:
Well loops in a paraglider seem downright sane in comparisson to
this...

Forum: Soaring November 26th 08, 07:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
Ventus 2cx brake

I upgraded the cable on my 38 year old Std Cirrus.
My replacement is the rear brake cable from a Honda motorcycle. Had to
cut the fitting off one end and fit a ferrule after threading through
the...
Forum: Soaring November 25th 08, 11:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
Canadian Pilot wants U.S. Certificate

Surfer! wrote:
In message , BT writes
Your Canadian certificate does not say Private Glider or Commercial
Glider?
I had not seen that...
Forum: Soaring November 20th 08, 07:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
4-blade Pawnee Performance?

bildan wrote:
On Nov 20, 12:12 pm, Bruce wrote:
sisu1a wrote:
The above suggests that a tug with a highly aerodynamic airframe could
use far less HP which is why...
Forum: Soaring November 20th 08, 07:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
4-blade Pawnee Performance?

sisu1a wrote:
The above suggests that a tug with a highly aerodynamic airframe could
use far less HP which is why 80HP motorglider tugs seem to work so
quietly.

A tug like this:...
Forum: Soaring November 15th 08, 06:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
Super fast assembly and launch...

P Ilatus wrote:
absolutely no purpose for that exercise in fact it's an irresponsible act
that shows total disregard for safe operating procedure. The organisation
who made the film should be...
Forum: Soaring November 11th 08, 06:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
New Pilot Advice

We tend to forget the extreme nature of what we do after a while.
In this instance the instructor probably was at fault in not making sure
you understood the implications of the conditions. Which...
Forum: Soaring November 9th 08, 11:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
wristbands for air sickness, do they work ?

I am fortunate enough to just about never get motion sick.

However - we had a student who suffers from severe motion sickness, to
the point of when he flew it was a case of how long before he is...
Forum: Soaring October 29th 08, 10:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
Kestrel 19 Questions

Also note that the datum is from the wing leading edge 500mm outboard from the fuselage.

Bruce

Jon Marshall wrote:
At 20:42 29 October 2008, JJ Sinclair wrote:
John,
Recommend you get a new...
Forum: Soaring October 29th 08, 08:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
gutsy

Now that's keeping your head.

Frank Whiteley wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRCbkBfdBrQ
Forum: Soaring October 29th 08, 05:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
My first flight in a glider... finally!

Less perfect wings (rougher) generally have a softer stall, as they have more turbulent flow.

My math says 53-39 = 14kt = 36% margin between stall and yellow triangle.

If you add a wind component -...
Forum: Soaring October 28th 08, 07:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
Kestrel 19 Questions

T59D - Heavy on the ground but a pleasure in the air.

Some comments -
1] Why would you want extra airbrake?
There are two versions of the landing flaps, but from my experience the landing flaps are...
Forum: Soaring October 23rd 08, 10:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
the trend is............

You had a pebble? Sheer luxury!

Cats wrote:
On Oct 22, 9:51 pm, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 06:13:29 -0700, Cats wrote:
On Oct 22, 8:45...
Forum: Soaring October 21st 08, 07:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
the trend is............

Now, now Eric.

A launch uses less than 800ml ( 1 quart) of petrol on our prehistoric inefficient Ford V8 powered winch. That is an
average over decades of use...

That gives around 1300 to 1700...
Forum: Soaring October 21st 08, 06:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
FAA Revoking Standard Airworthiness Certificate DG-505

AFAIK Schleicher had Licensed Centrair to build the ASW20 under their control as the ASW20F - Centrair then went off and
made an unauthorised derivative without flaps and different airfoils (on the...
Forum: Soaring October 19th 08, 10:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
FAA Revoking Standard Airworthiness Certificate DG-505

Hi Darryl

I know the history - was sloppy in my edit, so - Sorry to make it more confusing.

But the point was that the previous incarnation of the DG company Glaser-Dirks, sold the rights to...
Forum: Soaring October 19th 08, 11:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
FAA Revoking Standard Airworthiness Certificate DG-505

The "individual" posting from Germany, is the owner of Glaser Dirks. I would say that indicates a willingness to support
the brand even when the aircraft in question is not one Glaser Dirks...
Forum: Soaring October 19th 08, 08:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
the trend is............

On the Contrary.

Schleicher also make successful self launch and sustainer motor powered gliders - as you note.

Schempp-hirth has an interest in Lange Aviation, and is working on a number of...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 08, 06:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
US - 2009 explorer - trailer sway control

The advantages of owning Volvo - Who have been doing trailer stability for years...
Certainly makes the towing easy.

Gary Emerson wrote:
Spotted this when looking for info on the 2009 Explorer...
Forum: Soaring October 12th 08, 08:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
AT, TAT, MAT?

Hi Noel

John is right on thermalling techniques.
Aerobatics are inefficient - Agreed. But if the question is - when I hit a thermal at 80kt what do I do? Then the only
way to enter the thermal will...
Forum: Soaring October 11th 08, 07:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
AT, TAT, MAT?

noel.wade wrote:
Thanks for all the tips and info, folks! Big thanks for the links to
John Cochrane & KS's past articles.

A couple of responses to the concerns and basic "just fly the...
Forum: Soaring October 11th 08, 07:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
AT, TAT, MAT?

Noel - It really depends on the conditions. In the strong conditions we have the top pilots are typically doing a lot
more running, and a lot less thermalling than you would believe...
Forum: Soaring October 2nd 08, 06:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bruce
Establishing Club Class/Too Many Nationals/Not Enough Competitors

Nicest thing about soaring - there are so many peaks.

If you look at pushing the limits you could argue that soaring has many high achievers -
1] Racing pilots are the elite. Fly long distances at...