Search: Posts made by: Charles Longley
Forum: Soaring August 15th 20, 01:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
New Blanik AD for Rudder Cable Bolts

They’re pretty expensive parts. Dye penetrate is a lot cheaper. Not sure of the cost but some Blanik specialty bolts run $250....
Forum: Soaring August 14th 20, 04:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
New Blanik AD for Rudder Cable Bolts

It’s a pretty easy AD to do. I talked to Vitek Siroky yesterday. He said so far there’s been no cracks found. The rudder has open bearings so it would be good to get them cleaned and greased...
Forum: Soaring August 1st 20, 04:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
inverted Schweizer towhook

If I was asked to invert a Schweizer hook I would try and talk whoever wanted it into a Tost hook. If I couldn’t I believe I could use AC 43.13-2B, Chapter 8, paragraph 804 (a), the manufacturers...
Forum: Soaring August 1st 20, 03:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Tropics Are Heating Up.

Yeah well we’re in forest fire season in the NW.
Forum: Soaring July 30th 20, 11:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
inverted Schweizer towhook

Sigh... OK here’s another AC to peruse https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_43-210A.pdf

Here’s some fun facts. Is any part of AC 43.13 considered approved data by the...
Forum: Soaring July 30th 20, 06:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
inverted Schweizer towhook

Tell you what why don’t we agree to disagree. Putting a Schweizer tow hitch on inverted or otherwise is a stupid idea anyway.
Forum: Soaring July 30th 20, 01:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
inverted Schweizer towhook

Sorry I was asking the other guy. Where in AC 43.13-2B does it say you shall use the field approval process to invert a Schweizer hook?
Forum: Soaring July 30th 20, 04:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
inverted Schweizer towhook

First off are you an A&P/IA? Secondly do you understand what the FAA has written in the various Advisory Circulars pertaining to tow hitches?
Forum: Soaring July 30th 20, 02:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Mid Week Towing Availability

Coincidentally I’ve organized a week long operation out of Twisp, WA on the 5th. There’s still three spots available if anyone is interested.
Forum: Soaring July 29th 20, 03:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
inverted Schweizer towhook

What’s a life worth?
Forum: Soaring July 29th 20, 02:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
inverted Schweizer towhook

By the way why would you install a Schweizer hook when that Tost hook is a better, safer product?
Forum: Soaring July 28th 20, 02:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
inverted Schweizer towhook

Sorry I wasn’t clear. A FAA form 337 is required. A field approval is not required.
I live near Seattle if anyone needs a hook installed.
Forum: Soaring July 27th 20, 03:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

Ahh good points. I’ll take a look at my POH when I get my glider out again.
Forum: Soaring July 27th 20, 07:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

I would think land gear up. It might float indefinitely. Depends on how much foam/wood is in it. I would certainly try and get out as quick as I could.
Forum: Soaring July 26th 20, 11:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

Gliders are replaceable. But yeah scary story!
Forum: Soaring July 25th 20, 04:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Parachute Service Life Limits and the FAA

No worries for me! I just bought a new Softie. In 20 years I’ll be pushing 80.
Forum: Soaring July 22nd 20, 09:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
inverted Schweizer towhook

No field approval needed. Just a moderately competent A&P/IA. AC43.13-2B chapter 8 addresses tow hitch installation-
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC%2043.13-2B.pdf
Forum: Soaring July 15th 20, 02:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Tow Pilots and CFIG Wanted at Sandhill Soaring Club (Michigan)

On a side note some of the tow pilots and CFI’s donate their fees to the club that pays them, some do not. Depends on their individual situation.
My point is it’s all well and good to give back...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 20, 02:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Tow Pilots and CFIG Wanted at Sandhill Soaring Club (Michigan)

Of the two clubs I was talking about. The one that has the students pay the instructors also pays their tow pilots. They both have two tow planes. Guess which one has both tow planes manned every...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 20, 02:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Tow Pilots and CFIG Wanted at Sandhill Soaring Club (Michigan)

There is no reason your club can’t stay a 501 (c) 3 and still have the CFI’s be paid. I am associated with two clubs in the PNW. One insists that there will be no remuneration for the CFI’s....
Forum: Soaring July 13th 20, 07:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Tow Pilots and CFIG Wanted at Sandhill Soaring Club (Michigan)

So you want someone to provide professional services for free?
Forum: Soaring July 10th 20, 05:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Is teflon safe to use under mylar tape wing seals?

I put wax under the tapes with excellent results! It doesn’t take much.
Forum: Soaring June 29th 20, 02:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Flying IFR in a glider

Cindy,

Thanks for the info. I am a professional pilot and won’t mess it up for others.

Charlie
Forum: Soaring June 29th 20, 02:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Flying IFR in a glider

Ahh I see that now. Very nice flight!