Search: Posts made by: Steve Koerner
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 05:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Tying down a fiber glass ship.

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 4:47:32 PM UTC-7, Collin Shea wrote:
Anytime I “tie down” my ship for the night I just put two wing stands underneath each wings and raise them to where...
Forum: Soaring January 9th 18, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Pez D. Spencer

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 8:56:46 AM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:
On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 10:17:10 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
Since Pez has come up in another thread, reminded me that I'm...
Forum: Soaring January 8th 18, 04:20 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Lubricant for spar pins

Another vote for Super Lube here. I'm convinced that the PTFE really makes a difference in ease of assembly. Plus it's a lot less messy than other greases I've used over the years.
Forum: Soaring January 2nd 18, 06:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Seminole Lake Accident

Yes, but with some careful judgement in between as to those who ought be encouraged after an accident and those who should not be. Not everyone makes a good pilot.

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at...
Forum: Soaring January 1st 18, 01:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
ASW27 Trasponder Antenna Installation Inside Fuselage.

On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 3:13:42 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
If it's not too much trouble, try a coax cable length of 21 11/16 inches
which would be 2 wavelengths at 1090 MHz (assuming...
Forum: Soaring November 14th 17, 05:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
How does sun heat the air?

Don't forget to include water vapor in your hypothesising:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_absorption_by_water

On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 10:44:48 AM UTC-7, ...
Forum: Soaring November 9th 17, 07:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
The US Team selection process in future years

I have been thinking along the same lines as TT. It is definitely preferable that the US National results actually count in the selection scheme and are not used merely to inform the voters. As TT...
Forum: Soaring November 7th 17, 05:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
The US Team selection process in future years

Excellent report RO! Most informative piece I've ever read on RAS.

I hadn't realized the degree of financial commitment that's required of the team members. Between the problems of geography that...
Forum: Soaring November 6th 17, 07:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Train Wreck

Sean F has as much enthusiasm for the sport of glider racing as perhaps the next six of us combined. One way to interpret his over-the-top keyboard behavior is that he cares so much about the sport...
Forum: Soaring November 3rd 17, 04:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Train Wreck

It's so sad to read this thread.

I do not agree with posters who suggest that there is anything fundamentally wrong at SSA or with the volunteers that are serving the membership. Yet in their...
Forum: Soaring October 25th 17, 10:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
My next ship...

Where Matt flies, a '27 is definitely the best choice. With a '27 you get high wing loading and great performance for the money. You get absolute competitiveness in 15 class. Most importantly, you...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 17, 04:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 3:51:04 AM UTC-7, wrote:
The official report does not provide any additional information.

Forum: Soaring October 8th 17, 08:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

What Steve was trying to say is that if the plane were to be flying a steady descent from 9 to 6 it would be consuming ALL the airspace from 9 to 6, not just the diagonal vector. So they cannot...
Forum: Soaring October 7th 17, 04:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

Vertical speeds are more difficult to predict and control by the computers and controllers.

Bingo! I think we finally solved the mystery as to why the hell ATC seems to be so inclined to drag...
Forum: Soaring October 4th 17, 02:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
trick to avoid crosswind landing in late afternoon...

Official sunset time would be perhaps a minute or two after the sun disappears behind distant mountains. Time it right and no lights are required. I imagine last thermals would end about then anyway.
Forum: Soaring October 4th 17, 04:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
trick to avoid crosswind landing in late afternoon...

[repost from Arizona Soaring Assoc board where it seemed to be of interest]

I'm sure many already know this -- it's a good trick to know if you don't.

Late afternoon summer wind will very often...
Forum: Soaring October 3rd 17, 08:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
US Competition Pilot Poll

On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 11:53:33 AM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
A few problems he

6.1.2 - Ambiguous; what does a "YES" answer mean?
6.3.1 - What does "MyChoice" checkbox mean?
Forum: Soaring September 26th 17, 04:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
737 vs glider

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 8:00:40 AM UTC-7, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 10:15:59 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
Anyone have more details about it? In particular, was...
Forum: Soaring September 26th 17, 05:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Smart Phone Contest Sailplane Tracking

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 7:03:00 PM UTC-7, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:
On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 6:44:45 PM UTC-6, Steve Koerner wrote:
Tom:

My setup is fine. I have my...
Forum: Soaring September 26th 17, 01:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Smart Phone Contest Sailplane Tracking

Tom:

My setup is fine. I have my phone mounted on a plastic stalk in free air.

To see how often you really are sending data. Open one of your IGC files from IGCDroid in a text editor or program...
Forum: Soaring September 25th 17, 10:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Smart Phone Contest Sailplane Tracking

Understood Tom. Yet, I'd say it would be easy for a ground observer to be confused on this point unless they sat uninterrupted for a considerable period of time monitoring you. I looked at the data...
Forum: Soaring September 25th 17, 09:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Smart Phone Contest Sailplane Tracking

Tom: I think you may be misled in thinking that IGCDroid works everywhere. Whenever the program can't link up with a cell tower, the program ques the data on your phone instead. When it makes the...
Forum: Soaring September 25th 17, 06:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Smart Phone Contest Sailplane Tracking

For android the app is IGCDroid. I've been using that along with Delorme InReach. IGCDroid works great too. It's very simple to start it up and just let it run. The beauty of the phone app is that...
Forum: Soaring September 15th 17, 02:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
sunlight readable iphone

I have an S8+ mounted on a stalk on my panel with a charging cable and with auto brightness enabled. I have it there mostly so that I can flip on Avare when needed. It's incrementally better than...
Forum: Soaring August 29th 17, 05:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
New PowerFLARM firmware 6.40

The FCC readily grants waivers for this type of situation. This is the perfect scenario for a waiver: There is a direct safety benefit and no realistic concern regarding interference with other...