Search: Posts made by: Hagbard Celine
Forum: Soaring June 9th 12, 01:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
Flarm Audio and Towplanes

"Hopefully someone from the Flarm team can shed a light."

Yeah, that would be a welcome and refreshing change!
Forum: Soaring June 1st 12, 10:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
PowerFLARM updates and installation notes

Much as I like the idea of PowerFLARM and think it could really
contribute to safety I have to say that even the "good" installations
shown look like the work of Red Green.
Forum: Soaring May 31st 12, 09:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
Higher Tows for Training Flights

I fly from a mountain site which is primarily ridge soaring. Standard
height for two of the three nearby mountains is 2000 feet. One more
distant mountain requires a 4000 foot tow to allow...
Forum: Soaring May 5th 12, 01:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
What to do with L-13?

"I owned a share in an L13 many years ago. Fine for local soaring and
no doubt good for basic training, but its performance fell way behind
that of an ASK13, and possibly even the ASK7"

Huh? The...
Forum: Soaring May 4th 12, 09:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
What to do with L-13?

The Aircraft Design And Certification modification is applicable in
Canada (I'm surprised that it's not approved in the U.S. yet as
usually a method approved by the agency which controls the...
Forum: Soaring April 28th 12, 09:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
....what about older 121.5 ELT's

Whenever I've investigated ELT's the stats mentioned above always made
me question their value. I've also found that they seem to fail the
annual test at the avionics shop with distressing frequency....
Forum: Soaring April 18th 12, 04:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
What Polar

Paul Bickle's "Polars Of Eight" test got these results from a Cirrus:

best L/D 37:1

6.5 lb/square ft. loading at 878lb.
knots - fpm.
40 -138
50 -136
60 -173
70 -230
Forum: Soaring April 12th 12, 10:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
UK Glider pilot visiting Minnesota

All the clubs in Ontario are in the eastern half of the province so
the Winnipeg club at Starbuck would be the closest. If you were to
make the trip up there to fly in Canada you shouldn't have any...
Forum: Soaring March 21st 12, 08:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
Blanik L13AC value

I would think it would be fairly close in value to an L-23 of
comparable age/time/condition/equipment. It would probably go for a
little more due to the increased aerobatic capability. Look for...
Forum: Soaring February 17th 12, 04:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
Soaring Birds

It's rare, but I have seen crows soaring. Definitely crows, not
ravens. I've only seen it twice in eleven years of soaring though.
Forum: Soaring February 14th 12, 08:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
How do I ship a glider from CA to TN?

A friend of mine had a glider shipped from the East coast to
Washington state by rail and the managed to do some significant damage
to it. They must hav dropped the trailer while loading or unloading...
Forum: Soaring February 10th 12, 07:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
Drones

My guess would be that they would first try that OR just attempt to
restrict access to large blocs of airspace where they intend to use
drones.

Well that us easy, the ability to legally fly...
Forum: Soaring February 10th 12, 07:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
AH and minimum equip list

Some U.S. glider type certificates have pretty sparse minimum
equipment lists. The 1-23 only specifies an altimeter and shoulder
harness. Some type certificates get ridiculous, going to the extent...
Forum: Soaring January 19th 12, 11:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
Zulu Romeo: Good Start DVD and Aerotowing Gliders book available now

Yessssssssssssssssss!

My money is on the way!

On Jan 19, 5:13*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi,

I have just added two very interesting products to my web site.

"Zulu Romeo: Good...
Forum: Soaring January 18th 12, 11:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
Manual

What does "practically speaking" or for that matter realism have to do
with anything? We're talking about aviation regulations here! :)

I keep a the hard copy of my flight manual on board when I'm...
Forum: Soaring January 13th 12, 03:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
Measurement of CofG

When we did my ASW-15 we took the weights just balancing the wings
level, no stand. Fore and aft level was done as you describe (my
manual has about the same information as yours) with the exception...
Forum: Soaring January 11th 12, 09:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
Measurement of CofG

If the shop has a digital protractor you could also convert the rise/
run to degrees, put the protractor on the specified part of the tail
boom and raise the tail until it reads the correct...
Forum: Soaring January 3rd 12, 06:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
SGS 2-33A Form337 for Radio/Transponder

The Canadian Air Cadets have equipped some of their 2-33's with
transponders and they are real sticklers for doing everything
according to the regulations. Although the installation...
Forum: Soaring December 26th 11, 07:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
Sailplane Finishes

For some info about using Simtec for a refinish: http://www.archive.jimphoenix.com/archive09/
Links to the Nimbus articles are on the left.

Other than that, I second what "UH" said. If I had a pro...
Forum: Soaring December 26th 11, 07:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
cobra alum trailer re finish

If you want it to last, paint it the same way you would paint an
aluminium aircraft: strip to bare metal, etch the surface, conversion
coat with Alodine, prime with an epoxy primer containing...
Forum: Soaring December 21st 11, 09:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
Non-Stop Soaring Film Fest: Showcasing The Best Soaring Videos

On Dec 19, 10:03*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
The good news is that I will probably have DVD versions of Zulu Romeo - Good
Start available for sale in a month or 2. *I'm working with...
Forum: Soaring December 19th 11, 02:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
Non-Stop Soaring Film Fest: Showcasing The Best Soaring Videos

I've tried downloading ZR Good Start with Bittorrent before. I left
the client running for a month trying to download it and got precisely
zero bits as no one was seeding it. I just tried again for a...
Forum: Soaring December 17th 11, 01:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
Non-Stop Soaring Film Fest: Showcasing The Best Soaring Videos

Once you get all this together I would be eternally in your debt if
you could tell us where to get some of these films! I've heard about
""ZR, Good Start" and "Lifting The Blues" for example but...
Forum: Soaring December 14th 11, 06:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Hagbard Celine
Best Club class glider

You're fortunate that you live in the U.K.; a tiny country with a lot
of gliders. This means you have a lot more choice and it'll be pretty
easy to go look at quite a few gliders.

If you're primary...
Forum: Soaring December 14th 11, 01:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring