Search: Posts made by: BB
Forum: Soaring December 1st 08, 07:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
Is it ever just "plug and play"?

I think the best solution is to get the wiring diagram from the
spindelberger website, buy a female European connector from your
favorite glider vendor, and wire it up from the lights with...
Forum: Soaring October 30th 08, 03:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
US Club Class Participation

My only suggestion would be to allow
pilots to "move up" from the Club Class to FAI Class if they wish. Not
everything more than a few years old is obsolete. :)

That's why I think it's best to...
Forum: Soaring October 28th 08, 04:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
US Club Class Participation

I just came
back from Region 4N where we had a respectable 35+ pilots...divided
into FOUR classes.... We can't support the
plethora of classes we have now and we're talking about adding...
Forum: Soaring October 23rd 08, 08:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
Tire Size for 8 Year Old Komet Trailer

On Oct 23, 2:34*pm, Papa3 wrote:
Hey gang,

I'm replacing my tires on my Komet "Euro Lite" circa 2000 trailer. *I
wrote down the size on the sidewall as 85/65 R14 86T.
Forum: Soaring October 23rd 08, 03:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
Broke Airline Pilot needs "stuff" for an ASW-15B

On Oct 22, 8:06*pm, wrote:
I need a:

1. GPS data logger thats contest worthy

2. PDA device and connections

Current US contest rules require "category 1" (IGC...
Forum: Soaring October 22nd 08, 04:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
online cfig renewal

Although there may be a slight gap, I believe there's one scheduled
for Chicago in late January 2009. *The soaring season gap starts in
that area soon, doesn't it?

Alas, CFIG expires 12/08 and...
Forum: Soaring October 22nd 08, 02:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
online cfig renewal

I need to renew my CFIG, and it runs out before any of the SSF
clinics. So, online we go

I'd like to hear recommendations and experience of ras people on the
various online options. I'm especially...
Forum: Soaring October 16th 08, 04:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
AT, TAT, MAT?

Now that the government is taking John's advice and recapitalizing the
banks rather than buying their bad loans, maybe we should revisit his
soaring advice too.

Just to set the record...
Forum: Soaring October 14th 08, 12:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
AT, TAT, MAT?

I don't understand - if you add 15 minutes, what's to stop people from
trying to come in 14 minutes and 59 seconds sooner? *Doesn't that just
shift the "minimum task time" without affecting...
Forum: Soaring October 13th 08, 09:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
AT, TAT, MAT?

What skills do we need to fly a MAT or TAT? As you know it's a wormy
little problem involving several variables; time, distance, altitude
required, wind, speed-to-fly and where's the stinking...
Forum: Soaring October 11th 08, 11:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
AT, TAT, MAT?

5) When to turn: *This is still a big one for me. *I am developing a
good "butt-meter" when it comes to detecting and centering lift when
I'm flying along slowly or already circling. *At my...
Forum: Soaring October 3rd 08, 09:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
Our own BB (John Cochrane) on NPR

On Oct 3, 7:27*am, DRN wrote:
I was startled awake by John's voice from the clock-radio,
discussing nuclear strikes on fox-holes and other scary
things. Meant to post...
Forum: Soaring October 2nd 08, 02:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
US Rules Poll now online for all

By popular request, the US rules poll is now visible online to any and
all at

http://adamsfive.com/survey/surveys.php

No matter what you enter in name and number you'll be able to read the
poll. It...
Forum: Soaring October 2nd 08, 02:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
Participating in Contests

Do pilots typically carry oxygen at these events?

If you're going to fly xc at any site that allows you to get over
10,000', oxygen is a must. Forget about speed, as a beginner you're
going to...
Forum: Soaring September 30th 08, 04:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
Participating in Contests

The impression that the super pilots with full time organized ground
crews and $90k+ ships makes going to a contest with a older generation
glider say a HP-11 with ~36:1 glide rather futile and...
Forum: Soaring September 30th 08, 02:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
All Soaring Participants

As an aside: *The failsafe way to gauge whether or not Club Class
might increase racing participation is to poll every owner of a Club
Class glider (whether they be an active racer or...
Forum: Soaring September 23rd 08, 07:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
Rules Committee

If Club Class competes within Sports Class then any participation
change is net zero at worse—those that would otherwise have flown as a
Sports Class entrant would instead be earmarked Club...
Forum: Soaring September 20th 08, 02:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
SRA Poll

Please, let's keep basic facts straight.

Sam, I fully support you. There is no harm in keeping two score sheets
and having two winners.

That's not the club class proposal. The proposal is to...
Forum: Soaring September 19th 08, 03:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
SRA Poll

Sam:

If what you want truly is a new competition class, at all levels,
because you think there is a deep pool of pilots who will come out of
the woodwork to fly it, then it seems perfectly sensible...
Forum: Soaring September 19th 08, 12:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
SRA Poll

What about embedding the "club class" within our larger sports class?
Use the IGC racing rules so we are preparing for international
contests, but run two scores in parallel. *Only count the...
Forum: Soaring September 18th 08, 05:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
SRA Poll

I do take issue with item 3.0 and 3.1, Club Class
First 3.0 states that the WGCs Club Class List is too unstable and
excludes too many ships in widespread use in the US.

This reflects the US...
Forum: Soaring September 18th 08, 04:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
SRA Poll

The biggest problem I see is that the "Sports" class has become the
alternate year contest for those pilots that don't want to travel
across the country to fly in their respective classes.

Forum: Soaring September 18th 08, 04:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
Western Seniors

Just thinking out loud, but what does making it "senior" get you other
than excluding the interesting new guys in this contest? I don't know
of many hot west coast under 55 pilots who are going to...
Forum: Soaring September 16th 08, 10:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
SO. CAL. SEPTEMBER FLIGHT

Take along a bottle or zip lock baggies. Have to pee stuff is not
funny anymore in xc flying. There have been too many accidents from
dehydrated or distracted pilots. Showing you can pee in a...
Forum: Soaring August 28th 08, 07:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By BB
Ka-6 TE Probe

Or buy a vario with electronic compensation and forego the probe all
together.
John Cochrane
BBG