Search: Posts made by: OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
Forum: Soaring March 16th 19, 03:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
There is a new LXNAV user group on google groups

I am working with Jon St. Cloud, the owner of this LXNav group, to help set it as best as possible during it infancy.

A comment and a question;

First, we'd like to try as much as possible to keep...
Forum: Soaring March 3rd 19, 06:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New Presentation - Working with Air Lines

Thanks the comments. This is why I ask RAS to take a look at my ravings.

It seems the general current consensus is that the air lines do not need any type of constricting band at barbed fittings. ...
Forum: Soaring March 2nd 19, 07:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New Presentation - Working with Air Lines

I put together a short presentation on how I work with, and repair, air lines in gliders. It might be useful to you. Maybe not. Don't know quite yet.

If you find something to add, correct, or...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 19, 03:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chicago Seminar with the Perlan Project - Feb 23

Countdown continues at T-minus 4 days and all systems are go. WX is expected to be a "balmy" 40 degrees (warm for Chicago this time of year).

Its not too late. No advance registration is...
Forum: Soaring February 7th 19, 04:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chicago Seminar with the Perlan Project - Feb 23

On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 11:31:18 PM UTC-6, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
The ChicagoLand Glider Council (CLGC) is hosting their 9th Mid-America Soaring and Safety Seminar on...
Forum: Soaring January 24th 19, 03:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ox Cylinder ASW27

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 9:30:16 AM UTC-6, Scott Williams wrote:
https://legacy.life-assist.com/Product/LUXFER-Carbon-Composite-Cylinders/929
One U.S. option is a Luxfer M15 carbon...
Forum: Soaring January 22nd 19, 04:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ox Cylinder ASW27

Gary,

I assume by largest you mean diameter, not length. I am also assuming that you want to find/buy an O2 bottle to fit an ASW-27. You know what they say about assuming.

After I bought my...
Forum: Soaring January 16th 19, 11:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Source for L'Hotellier Safety Clips

Couple of comments;

- The pins/clips that I believe that you are referring to are pretty much standard aviation hardware. If I remember correct I used AN416-2 hardware. The diameter of the pin to...
Forum: Soaring January 13th 19, 04:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mylar Not Sticking

A wall paper seam wooden roller (1" wide) might work. Inexpensive. Found at paint and DIY stores.

- John OHM Ω
Forum: Soaring January 10th 19, 04:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra Tongue Bellows

I found lots of Al-Ko parts (including the bellows) at https://www.tauntontrailers.co.uk. Search for "al-ko bellows".

- John OHM Ω
Forum: Soaring January 9th 19, 11:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
How to Make a Poor Man's Spar Alignment Tool

You could be correct about the humidity changing the diameter of the dowel. However, a well seasoned and well sealed ash dowel may well not have that problem. Time till tell.

Again, this is a...
Forum: Soaring January 8th 19, 06:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
How to Make a Poor Man's Spar Alignment Tool

I have updated my simple presentation to add a warning (and a paint scheme) about mistakenly leaving the wooden spar alignment tool in place after finishing rigging instead of replacing it with the...
Forum: Soaring January 7th 19, 04:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
How to Make a Poor Man's Spar Alignment Tool

Hope you find this presentation useful for your winter project enjoyment.

http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations/#spartool

Regards, John OHM Ω
Forum: Soaring December 23rd 18, 09:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vuarnet Sunglasses Commercial with LS1

There are shown several gliders soaring. A single place (JS1), a two place (something) and a 3 ship gaggle.

Do we really want sunglasses with side shields while soaring? ...
Forum: Soaring December 17th 18, 09:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cambridge 302 fuse

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 2:14:32 PM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Yes....being picky on spelling/autocorrect....."lose" not "loose"..........

I pick because spelling...
Forum: Soaring December 17th 18, 07:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cambridge 302 fuse

I agree with Darryl on the 1A rating for the fuse and the alternative use of a breaker.

But to be clear about the breaker, and respectfully to Darryl, I would *NOT* use a 1A breaker as you can...
Forum: Soaring December 8th 18, 05:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chicago Seminar with the Perlan Project - Feb 23

The ChicagoLand Glider Council (CLGC) is hosting their 9th Mid-America Soaring and Safety Seminar on Saturday, February 23rd, 2019 from 8AM to 5PM in the impressive Seigle Auditorium in the Business...
Forum: Soaring November 29th 18, 03:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Solar Farm Development Near Glider Port - Problem?

Just to be clear, this proposed solar farm installation would be based on photovoltaics (PV).

The plan for the farm can be seen at...
Forum: Soaring November 28th 18, 10:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Solar Farm Development Near Glider Port - Problem?

My club just got word that a solar farm is being proposed to be built about 1 mile directly off the west end of our runway 9-27. The zoning board meeting is tomorrow which I plan on attending....
Forum: Soaring November 21st 18, 03:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Playing Chicken With The Birds

Around Chicago I see red tails at altitude. Usually it is a quick sighting before they head out but I always fly over expecting lift.

Turkey vultures seem to thermal too low to provide useful...
Forum: Soaring November 12th 18, 01:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASW 27 Instrument Panel Texture

Here is a short presentation on refinishing a fiberglass panel on my old DG and another fellow's PIK with faux carbon fiber.

http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations/#carbonfiber

- John OHM Ω
Forum: Soaring November 4th 18, 10:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WTB Becker AR 4201 Com Radio

On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 6:30:05 PM UTC-5, Dave Walsh wrote:
At 20:17 03 November 2018,
wrote:
Does anybody have a Becker 4201 radio to sell?
Terry

Forum: Soaring November 4th 18, 10:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LXNav Nano3 Charging and Loss of Seal

This issue may be common knowledge but it was news to me and caught me by surprise last spring.

The prior fall I tucked my Nano3 away for its long Chicago winter sleep. The battery was found dead...
Forum: Soaring November 2nd 18, 03:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Video of gliding in the Alps with rain and thunder, video is upfor only seven days. NOT SPAM!

On Wednesday, October 24, 2018 at 1:01:56 PM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 10:11:41 -0700, moshe.braner wrote:

How large is the file?

780 MB.

--
Martin ...
Forum: Soaring October 27th 18, 10:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 3:51:58 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 4:33:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Here is one source for the needed battery...