Search: Posts made by: Mitty
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules February 17th 08, 11:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activatedvia "activate approach"?

On 2/17/2008 4:54 PM, Stan Prevost wrote the following:
snip

I wonder what the response would be if one called Garmin and asked if
they approve using the navigator this way?

Try it! I...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules February 17th 08, 03:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activatedvia "activate approach"?

On 2/17/2008 8:57 AM, John Collins wrote the following:
Regardless,

The pilot should be prepared to fly direct to the non IAF type IF to join
the approach.

Yes, and I'm not sure why this...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules February 16th 08, 04:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activatedvia "activate approach"?

On 2/16/2008 10:27 AM, SimGuy wrote the following:

The point is this- loading the approach makes the IAF the active
waypoint, which I may or may not want.

No, it doesn't.
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules January 9th 08, 03:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
GNS430W software 3.0 upgrade

On 1/9/2008 8:50 AM, Chuck wrote the following:
The upgrade "fixes" a problem area that
I don't
use so I was fixing something that wasn't broken. I think I will
put the upgrade on hold...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules November 26th 07, 06:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr,alt.satellite,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Posted By Mitty
Search & Rescue GPS

On 11/24/2007 9:43 AM, Jim Carter wrote the following:
The SAR MAP function is built into the Morrow GX50, 55, 60, and 65 units.

These units, usually Apollo branded, are in the majority of Civil...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules November 11th 07, 04:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
NACO Plates/"Plate Grabber"

Sorry, have been off-line for a while.

On 10/31/2007 8:16 AM, Andrey Serbinenko wrote the following:
One thing I don't quite get with your design: the plates printed on the
back of the pages...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules October 30th 07, 09:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
NACO Plates/"Plate Grabber"

Thanks for all the input, folks. I also print my destination plates so they are
easy to put on the yokeboard, but trying to put either the punched or the bound
books onto yokeboard/kneeboard is a...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules October 26th 07, 04:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
NACO Plates/How do you hold them?

I am curious how people hold their NACO plates on kneeboards and yoke boards.
One plate or the whole book. I have designed a little gadget that makes this
easy but have no idea whether the market...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules October 21st 07, 09:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
Adiabatic lapse rate

On 10/21/2007 11:44 AM, Everett M. Greene wrote the following:
Does the lapse rate equation hold in all cases?
Don't count on it in the real world. I was once in the clear at 6,000 feet, 0...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules October 9th 07, 09:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
When to descend

Still not arguing, just trying to understand ...

On 10/9/2007 2:38 PM, Steven P. McNicoll wrote the following:

I'm not being argumentative; I just don't understand why you would not
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules October 9th 07, 08:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
When to descend

On 10/9/2007 1:20 PM, Steven P. McNicoll wrote the following:

He doesn't say whether this is an actual clearance received or a
hypothetical scenario. The book phraseology would be,...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules October 4th 07, 02:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
IFR Refresher info?

http://flight-time.com/ has some clever little reference books. I bought two or
three of them. Truthfully I don't use them much but I should probably put the
Instrument Flight Review one into my...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules September 11th 07, 01:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
A gaggle of questions about traning from an old geezer...

On 9/10/2007 7:16 PM, Bill Zaleski wrote the following:
Taking
instrument training from an instructor who does not go into cloud is
like taking sex education from a virgin.

ROFL. That's more...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules September 10th 07, 09:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
A gaggle of questions about traning from an old geezer...

Possibly I phrased my point wrong or shouldn't have used the word "train," as I
think everything you said is reasonable. One of the most valuable portions of
my "training" were flights shooting...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules September 10th 07, 04:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
A gaggle of questions about traning from an old geezer...

On 9/10/2007 9:27 AM, Dave Butler wrote the following:
SimGuy wrote:

4) During training (with the instructor), how much flying, if any, is
performed in actual IMC? I ask because I would...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules September 9th 07, 10:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
Trimble TL1000 GPS Questions

On 9/7/2007 9:48 AM, Jim Carter wrote the following:
I can't seem to find any significant data on the web about this panel
mounted GPS. Even Southeast Avionics website has very little...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules July 22nd 07, 01:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
Dauntless Software/Safelog/Poison Pills

Until recently I have been quite a fan of Dauntless Software's products, having
used both their written test prep packages and their Safelog product. I have
recommended them here.

All good things...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules June 22nd 07, 01:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
61 Cessna 210 40 SMOH For Auction

1) Since when is rec.aviation.ifr a place to advertise airplanes?

2) Why would any sane buyer purchase an airplane with an engine rebuilt by a guy
who _knew_ he would be selling it?

On 6/21/2007...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules May 29th 07, 08:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
Do I have to file?

A local IFR flight plan _is_ an IFR flight plan. Call the TRACON if you want to
know if that type of request will be granted. IIRC it would have to involve
only handoff(s) between TRACONs and not...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules May 24th 07, 06:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
Where is MEPTE

MEPTE

N41200990 41.336083
W073575010 -73.963917

From the DAFIF database

On 5/24/2007 11:08 AM, Jose wrote the following:
How can I find out where the FAA thinks MEPTE is? On the NOS IFR charts
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules May 20th 07, 02:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
GNS430 vs. GX60 - missing functions

On 5/14/2007 10:10 PM, Robert M. Gary wrote the following:

It shows the same section grid lines that any G1000 does but it does
not allow you to flight plan to a CAP named grid like our GX60...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules March 30th 07, 03:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
Colonoscopy

On 3/30/2007 9:38 AM, B A R R Y wrote the following:
Mitty wrote:
May 3, 1:45PM

Are you inviting the group to attend? ;^)

ROFL. Gotta learn to read those headers!
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules March 30th 07, 03:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
Colonoscopy

May 3, 1:45PM
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules March 27th 07, 09:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
How do controllers coordinate clearances through sectors?

On 3/27/2007 2:06 PM, Newps wrote the following:

Mitty wrote:

On 3/26/2007 9:28 PM, Newps wrote the following:

Forum: Instrument Flight Rules March 27th 07, 03:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Mitty
How do controllers coordinate clearances through sectors?

On 3/26/2007 9:28 PM, Newps wrote the following:

Mitty wrote:

If you are getting vectors, he may not have the vector though.

The previous controller is required to coordinate that.