Search: Posts made by: Steve Koerner
Forum: Soaring July 14th 18, 05:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
flarm antenna placement

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 4:42:56 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Still looking to improve my flarm range especially below. I have a Trig T22 fin antenna on the bottom of my 27. Can I somehow...
Forum: Soaring July 6th 18, 08:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Accelerated spin in unexpected direction at low altitude

Normally you think of a spin associated with turning flight where there is an inside wing that is going slower than the outside wing and thus already at a higher AOA than the outside wing. The...
Forum: Soaring July 5th 18, 11:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Accelerated spin in unexpected direction at low altitude

On Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 3:00:06 PM UTC-7, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 06:36 04 July 2018, CindyB wrote:

Don't spin a Puch without chutes and a hard deck(1000m agl). Ever.

Best...
Forum: Soaring June 26th 18, 06:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Stall, spin fatality today in Arizona.

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 at 9:32:03 AM UTC-7, AS wrote:
On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 at 6:07:39 AM UTC-6, Tom wrote:
Once again the portion of RAS that makes me want to throw my phone or throw up...
Forum: Soaring June 26th 18, 06:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Stall, spin fatality today in Arizona.

On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 9:21:38 PM UTC-7, Waveguru wrote:
I checked Andy out on our winch with a tow to about 800’ in the 2-33. On that flight I talked to him about not circling low. We then...
Forum: Soaring June 26th 18, 04:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Stall, spin fatality today in Arizona.

My understanding (I wasn't there) was that they were auto towing on a 3500 ft runway getting to 800 ft. I'm guessing that to be a possible factor in as much as all things are relative and 400 ft...
Forum: Soaring June 21st 18, 05:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Vario Comparison

This seems like maybe a fair place to interject a relevant advertisment... Just yesterday I posted an ad on wingsandwheels.com for an Air Vario, Display S (Butterfly vario) in perfect condition for...
Forum: Soaring June 19th 18, 09:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Teflon tape attaching

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 12:51:35 AM UTC-7, JohnO wrote:
Thanks Bumper I have ordered some UHMW-PE tape from Amazon.

Incidentally UHMW-PE tape is ideal for providing a sliding surface for...
Forum: Soaring June 15th 18, 07:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
THE LONG AWAITED BREAK THROUGH IN BATTERY TECHNOLOGY HAS BEEN FOUND

On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 10:39:26 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 12:18:30 PM UTC-4, Steve Koerner wrote:
Go ask your electrical utility for a price quote...
Forum: Soaring June 15th 18, 05:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
THE LONG AWAITED BREAK THROUGH IN BATTERY TECHNOLOGY HAS BEEN FOUND

Go ask your electrical utility for a price quote on that sort of connection...

Well Moshe, when the supercapacitors become workable in cars, why wouldn't they also become workable for buffering at...
Forum: Soaring June 15th 18, 04:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
1250km straight out without a crew!

On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 6:46:52 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=6526228
Perhaps the longest crewless straight out flight ever?
Forum: Soaring June 14th 18, 08:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Grand Teton Crash

Very very sad to read of this accident.

This report has the accident occurring at 12:00.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=212026

From Weather Underground, wind on June 9 at 11:56...
Forum: Soaring June 14th 18, 05:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cobra trailer stuck closed

On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 4:03:27 AM UTC-7, AS wrote:
Thanks for the update, Auxvache! Glad you didn't have to resort to plan 'B'.

.... and the strut stayed compressed.
Steve -...
Forum: Soaring June 12th 18, 05:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cobra trailer stuck closed

Just catching up with this thread now and finding the very belittling response by Steve to my suggestion deeply insulting!

Well Uli, I'm sorry you were insulted by me. As an engineer, I'm...
Forum: Soaring June 10th 18, 10:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cobra trailer stuck closed

On Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 2:30:34 PM UTC-7, Auxvache wrote:
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 7:42:23 AM UTC-4, Auxvache wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the gas strut failing in the...
Forum: Soaring June 10th 18, 10:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cobra trailer stuck closed

Why does my cobra top not slowly close? it stays open until I drag it down.
I must admit ignorance of the internal demon that makes it work.
respect,
Scott

Because it has two gas springs...
Forum: Soaring June 10th 18, 05:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cobra trailer stuck closed

On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 8:22:46 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 9:21:30 PM UTC-4, Steve Koerner wrote:
Uh-oh, someone doesn't understand how gas springs work:

I do -...
Forum: Soaring June 10th 18, 02:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Cobra trailer stuck closed

Uh-oh, someone doesn't understand how gas springs work:

It may be worse than that: If the piston seals failed but the rod seals held, all the gas pressure is now on the annulus or ring-side of the...
Forum: Soaring June 5th 18, 06:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Average time to solo a student

15 starts here. Then three months later off doing intentional cross country. And 42 years more it's still damn fun. Hope the new inductee goes crazy with soaring too.
Forum: Soaring May 21st 18, 09:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Reducing collision hazard at contests

On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 11:31:44 AM UTC-7, wrote:
When ever I see something about safety (really "how to survive feeding my Sailplane addiction) I usually read most of the...
Forum: Soaring May 21st 18, 06:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Reducing collision hazard at contests

On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 10:12:47 AM UTC-7, Henning Pedersen wrote:
It is called a flarm. We have it all The Club planes and most of The private planes. (Øsf. Denmark)

Flarm is fantastic. It's...
Forum: Soaring May 20th 18, 12:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Reducing collision hazard at contests

Thanks for the many considered responses here that came from competition pilots. It is good to know that the US proposal to FAI was accepted. After reading the material that Ron Gleason linked,...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 18, 06:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Reducing collision hazard at contests

On Monday, May 14, 2018 at 9:56:41 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Monday, May 14, 2018 at 1:08:49 PM UTC-7, Steve Koerner wrote:
Here's a conceptually simple idea for contest pilots to rattle...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 18, 01:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Reducing collision hazard at contests

Craig: You can look at a chart like that and think you've found the culprits. Now make a list of contest IDs and put them on a dart board and start throwing darts. I think you'll see bad actors show...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 18, 12:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Steve Koerner
Reducing collision hazard at contests

Dan: Thanks for that link. Glad to know IGC is thinking hard about this. The point of that article seems to be that we might fix the problem by identifying particular bad actors and fix their bad...