Search: Posts made by: waremark
Forum: Soaring July 6th 18, 08:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

What Wyll and 6pk describe is what the OP wants EXCEPT he also wants to be able to make the switch manually so that when circling he can check the overview situation, then go back into circling...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 18, 10:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Stall, spin fatality today in Arizona.

BGA rules nowadays require the DI to be carried out by a pilot who has bronze or above. The requirement was upgraded from any solo pilot a few years ago.
Forum: Soaring June 6th 18, 12:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Towplane-Baron accident

I thought people would be happy that it is government which has to pay out in this case. I hope the court would have managed to see this differently if the glider tow had been from the civilian club...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 18, 11:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
ADSB out in tow planes

Your hatred of the superb Oudie continues to mystify me.

For anyone unclear about this, SeeYou Mobile is excellent soaring software. Its makers sell several versions of a hardware device which runs...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 18, 02:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
ADSB out in tow planes

Does Foreflight run on Android? In Europe we don't have Foreflight. Instead we have SkyDemon, an outstanding app for GA which I believe is comparable to Foreflight. SkyDemon runs equally well on...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 18, 11:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
GPS vs Gliding Computer

On Monday, 28 May 2018 20:50:46 UTC+1, Mike Reid wrote:
That's why I was asking. The Stemme S12 on display in Reno this spring had a Garmin Aera 660 and an LX9070. Having never used a gliding...
Forum: Soaring May 16th 18, 07:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Reducing collision hazard at contests

Whether or not you have a strategy to leach, conditions very often dictate that many pilots will use the same thermal. I don't think it would be appropriate to penalise the pilots who are later to...
Forum: Soaring April 27th 18, 10:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

In Europe and it would appear in many parts of the US most cross country gliders are flying with Flarm.

To improve safety we want as many people as possible to use Flarm.

While this is cheaper and...
Forum: Soaring April 26th 18, 03:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

Can you explain for the technically illiterate? Is that a license to use it in the US? What about the UK?

Why have you chosen for this app not to work with output from a Flarm?
Forum: Soaring April 16th 18, 02:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Glider Accident In Labelle, Fl.?

Sounds like he had an amazing flying background - carrier ops in a Phantom, instructor at Top Gun school, airlines, as well as gliding instructor. Condolences to all who knew him.
Forum: Soaring April 11th 18, 11:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
New owner - competition number

I dont think anyone in the uk would contemplate using a competition number which they had not registered with the BGA.
Forum: Soaring March 10th 18, 12:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
ClearVav vs. LXNav

Lukewarm wrote:

""The ClearNav have done a better job than most at modernization"

This statement literally made me blow coffee out my nose.

I have flown with XCSoar, LXNav, LXNavigation and...
Forum: Soaring March 8th 18, 11:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Inexpensive portable IGC data recorders

It is worth mentioning in this thread the IMI Erixx - cheaper logger with top level IGC approval but it needs external power.

Consider paying more for a multi purpose device - Powerflarm or Oudie...
Forum: Soaring February 27th 18, 10:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
New LXNAV Wi-Fi Module

I have it in an Arcus and use it to email flights and update firmware - both of which it does very easily. The rear seat unit has to have the firmware updated in the old fashioned way.

I do not use...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 18, 07:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Engine braking in Arcus M - can we have the system from the V3?

I find the automatic engine braking in my Arcus M disappointing. While my prop sometimes gets starts going down the on the first rotation after switch off, quite often it doesn't. If it misses twice,...
Forum: Soaring February 16th 18, 01:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Seeking help regarding SeeYou waypoint management

Yes, though the terminology is different. You can have different waypoint files, and select which one you want to open each time you start SY.
Forum: Soaring December 11th 17, 01:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
A Motoglider 'Landing Fumes'

I did wonder about the Arcus Jet, but I thought that would be over the VNE. As owner of an Arcus M I would love to know more about the jet. How much fuel does it carry, where, etc
Forum: Soaring December 10th 17, 11:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
A Motoglider 'Landing Fumes'

This guys first call says he is 35 miles and 12 minutes out. I haven't heard of a motorglider which can do that speed whether day or night. It isn't a motorglider.
Forum: Soaring December 10th 17, 11:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
A Motoglider 'Landing Fumes'

In the UK there is a licensing crossover. I can fly a motorglider on my Private Pilots License with Touring Motorglider endorsement or on my Sailplane Pilots License. Then there is a National Pilots...
Forum: Soaring November 29th 17, 08:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
iPhone X and iGlide - the verdict is in.

As owner of an Oudie IGC (also Samsung S8, Kobo Glo HD, and LX 9000) I think brightness has ceased to be a major issue. I have never encountered any conditions in which the Oudie (pointed at me) is...
Forum: Soaring November 23rd 17, 06:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Glider Insurance

On Thursday, 23 November 2017 17:46:19 UTC, LAX wrote:
Is everyone insured by Costello Insurance?
I am purchasing a glider and it comes down to this, the annual premiums I was quoted are...
Forum: Soaring November 23rd 17, 06:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Best Path to Race

"The Standard vs. Flapped decision is a bit harder. All of the Sages say 15 meter (faster/safer), I'm leaning Standard (simplicity). But it's not like I have Standard tattooed on my shoulder, or...
Forum: Soaring November 7th 17, 12:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Overspeeding on winch launches

I don't agree with:

", i.e. when the climb
starts to flatten, you should release immediately if you're even slightly
above the placarded max winch speed. "

I do agree of course that exceeding the...
Forum: Soaring November 3rd 17, 10:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders

What is the ASG 33 going to be?
Forum: Soaring October 17th 17, 11:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
ASH25M - Technoflug prop vs AS prop?

On Tuesday, 17 October 2017 13:54:29 UTC+1, Nik wrote:
Hi all,

I recently bought an ASH25M, which still got the Technoflug prop. Now many PPL advice to go for the AS prop. I asked Schleicher...