Search: Posts made by: 588
Forum: Soaring September 14th 06, 07:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
End of Season Sunset Warning for SSA-OLC Participants

Marc Ramsey wrote:
Mike Schumann wrote:
Sounds like poor planning if you don't start your final glide early
enough to get back before sunset and you don't have lights.

We aren't all...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 06, 05:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
End of Season Sunset Warning for SSA-OLC Participants

Marc Ramsey wrote:

In a typical 15M glider, if you can climb to 17,900 ft MSL an hour
before sunset (which is not uncommon in the western US), what time will
you land if you glide at best...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 06, 04:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
I want my SSA

Ian Cant wrote:

Things that can be reduced
to hard numbers can be disseminated easily; anything
that has human factors or personalities involved tends
not to travel well through the ether....
Forum: Soaring September 13th 06, 04:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
End of Season Sunset Warning for SSA-OLC Participants

Eric Greenwell wrote:

...I would be in favor of an OLC rule that requires landing by
sunset to avoid giving an advantage to the few gliders with lights,
and to discourage pilots from adding...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 06, 03:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
End of Season Sunset Warning for SSA-OLC Participants

Marc Ramsey wrote:

...they don't have to worry that some people sitting around a table
three months later will arbitrarily change the rules on them. With
respect, I wish the same could be...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 06, 03:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
Glider Crash - Minden?

Eric Greenwell wrote:

Does anyone have an idea what percentage of the VFR
airplanes carry a transponder detector, including the low cost units?
I'd guess a majority of them do, but I haven't...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 06, 03:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
Glider Crash - Minden?

Yuliy Gerchikov wrote:

Now, if only all Hawkers were *coming* from a very well defined -- and known
in advance -- point in space (as pitcher's throw is defined by human body
mechanics), and...
Forum: Soaring September 12th 06, 05:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
Check my flights, please

5Z wrote:

The Garmin only logs GPS altitude. Take a look at most OLC flights and
there are two altitude lines. One is GPS and the other is pressure.
The GPS (black) one is almost always...
Forum: Soaring September 10th 06, 11:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
91.309 a (3) ii

I should have caught up on intervening posts before responding to the
previous one. Thanks very much, Doug for a clear and useful explanation.

Jack

---

Doug Haluza wrote:
Forum: Soaring September 10th 06, 11:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
91.309 a (3) ii

Stewart Kissel wrote:

At 17:54 10 September 2006, 588 wrote:
*Does your glider operation use a weak link at the
tow plane end of the
rope, as required by 91.309 a (3) ii?

Forum: Soaring September 10th 06, 08:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
IMPORTANT- Seeyou V's Strepla and airspace violations.

Ramy wrote:
And while awaiting for Al's appology, I decided to no longer post my
flights to olc. I am sure I am not going to be the only one with this
decision .

Excellent!

If it ever stops...
Forum: Soaring September 10th 06, 08:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
Glider Crash - Minden?

Mike Schumann wrote:

I don't share your confidence in your ability to avoid a Hawker.
Not only do you have to luck out and see him in time, but you
need to be able to tell exactly where he...
Forum: Soaring September 10th 06, 06:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
91.309 a (3) ii

*Does your glider operation use a weak link at the tow plane end of the
rope, as required by 91.309 a (3) ii?

Jack

---*

91.309 Towing: Gliders and unpowered ultralight vehicles.
Forum: Soaring September 10th 06, 05:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
Glider Crash - Minden?

Yuliy Gerchikov wrote:

That's precisely the problem: exactly what volume of air do I need to exit?

Only that volume of air (the size of your glider) through which the
traffic is about to pass....
Forum: Soaring September 9th 06, 11:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
NTSB prelim report out

I believe the glider pilot was from Japan. May be time for a hasty
retreat back to the homeland.

Do I detect some subtle or not so...
Forum: Soaring September 9th 06, 02:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
I want my SSA

Wayne Paul wrote:

So where is the center of the US? I use to live in
Omaha, Nebraska and know that Omaha is closer to Washington, DC then it is
to Boise Idaho. So my guess is that it is...
Forum: Soaring September 9th 06, 03:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
I want my ... SAA

Bob Kuykendall wrote:

Somewhere near Chicago would make very good sense...

It depends on how near. I think that hell will freeze over and PW-5s
will win an Open Nats before I endorse an...
Forum: Soaring September 9th 06, 12:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
I want my ... SAA

Bob Kuykendall wrote:

I say, get a cheap steel building at Tehachapi CA.

We don't need one more thing in this world to be in California.

Somewhere near Chicago would make very good sense. If...
Forum: Soaring September 8th 06, 11:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
I want my SSA

kirk.stant wrote:
Seriously, good points.

I would think the Illinois/Indiana/Ohio area would be ideal - midway
between the coasts, lots (!) of club activity, OK summer soaring
weather,...
Forum: Soaring September 8th 06, 11:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
End of Season Sunset Warning for SSA-OLC Participants

Mike the Strike wrote:
Precisely. if you're going to act as a policeman, you can't
selectively choose which rules you're going to enforce and which you're
going to ignore.

Either enforce...
Forum: Soaring September 8th 06, 08:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
End of Season Sunset Warning for SSA-OLC Participants

Ramy wrote:

[re 91.119 (c) application to ridge flying altitudes]

Precisely, as sour as enforcing sunset time. This is exactly my point.

You truly see no difference, or are you just being...
Forum: Soaring September 8th 06, 07:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
End of Season Sunset Warning for SSA-OLC Participants

Ramy wrote:

So what about FAR Part 91 Sec. 91.119(c) which keeps get violated on
the ridges? Just look at the top scores in olc, there are some definite
proof there as well.

What about it?...
Forum: Soaring September 8th 06, 06:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
Glider Crash - Minden?

Mike Schumann wrote:
My point is not to try to avoid the collision, but show how big of a problem
it is when you get too close to some fast iron. It really gets to be
problematic to figure...
Forum: Soaring September 8th 06, 05:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
End of Season Sunset Warning for SSA-OLC Participants

I can't be sure from the cover photo that there is not a set of
numbers placed on the fuselage, perhaps a little above the equator.

What interests me more is the question: has Eric just done a...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 06, 11:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 588
Glider Crash - Minden?

Edward Winchester wrote, re traffic avoidance:

...for the thermalling case,
I'd amend that to put the top rudder on the floor and
the stick in the opposite corner, at least at first.