Yahoo groups shutting down by Luke Szczepaniak
Looks like yahoo groups are shutting down https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html "Yahoo has made the decision to no longer allow users to upload content to the Yahoo Groups site. Beginning October 21, you won't be able to upload any more content to the site, and as of December 14 all...
Today 12:12 AM
by Frank Whiteley Go to last post
1 13 Soaring
History Question About U.S. Tasking by [email protected]
Does anyone recall when U.S. contests (especially nationals) evolved from "announce the task at the morning pilots' meeting and fly it no matter what" to the more enlightened "Task A and B (and C and D...) and pick one--or define another--on the grid or even in the air"? I can't recall whether this...
RIP John Shelton, Pez D Spencer by [email protected]
I just learned John passed away on Sept 8th. He had been fighting brain cancer for several years. He was a good friend during my soaring days and we had a million laughs together. I will write more later as I know who most of the people he wrote about in Pez. He was one of a kind. Tom Hubbard VN
A Different Battery Question by Dan Marotta
I've been using a 20 AH LiFePO4 battery as a backup in the Stemme. It's portable and secured behind the passenger seat.* I charge it outside of the aircraft.* When used, it is connected through an DPST switch (only one half used) and switches the tail battery out of the system as it's...
Yesterday 10:38 PM
by Eric Greenwell[_2_] Go to last post
6 20 Soaring
2019 SSA Contest Rules Pilot Opinion Poll Now Open by Andy Blackburn[_3_]
US contest pilots. The 2019 SSA Contest Rules Pilot Opinion Poll is now open and will remain open through October 20, 2019. You must be on the SSA Pilot Ranking List to participate. We look forward to your input. You can access the poll online at:...
by Tango Eight Go to last post
26 157 Soaring
Brokerage fee by [email protected]
I'm working on the sale of a glider from a deceased club member for his estate. The estate has no idea how to sell a glider and what level of effort is involved. What is a fair brokerage fee (percentage) to handle the transaction for them? I plan on putting the glider on several websites and...
New MOAs proposed near Marine Corp base and Mt Patterson by Ramy[_2_]
From AOPA: New MOAs proposed in areas we use heavily during the soaring season. The high area extends from 13500 to 18000 from the Sierra crest out east past Mt...
by JS[_5_] Go to last post
43 160 Soaring
Replacing ELT, PLB with current tech. by Mike N.
I am looking to update my ELT and PLB. I have a fixed ELT on my glider, it's an early 2000's era, and I also have a similar era PLB that is supposed to strap to a parachute, but frankly it is somewhat bulky. What are the current generation PLB / ELT for gliding? I'd like to get a single compact...
Some LiFePO4 Battery Testing Results Manual and Automated by John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
Every year I test my two LiFePO4 batteries to gauge how long they will last during a flight. I decided to open the field a bit and also tested some soaring friend's batteries. You can read about my simple cheap manual process (later automated - see below) here ...