Search: Posts made by: Lew Hartswick
Forum: Soaring May 25th 09, 03:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
glider pilot net

None wrote:
What has happened to this site? The latest postings I can get are
more than a week old. I'm using Google groups to enquire.

Well!!! That may account for it. Get a REAL news
source....
Forum: Soaring April 3rd 09, 05:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Doris Grove

wrote:
At the 2009 meeting of the International Gliding Commission, Doris
Grove received the Pelagia Majewska Medal, given to ďa woman for an
outstanding gliding...
Forum: Soaring March 7th 09, 02:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Bad landing

Frank Whiteley wrote:
This might make you feel better about a few of your landings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eamnTyfkUBY

Never saw one land but the one I saw take off at Bien Hoa
Forum: Soaring January 18th 09, 04:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Hudson River A320

jcarlyle wrote:

If you go he http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2009/01/this_video_apparently_comes_from.php
there is an uncut video from a surveillance camera. It shows the last
Forum: Soaring January 3rd 09, 01:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Ridge running in KS Duo Discus

Karl Striedieck wrote:
Out and Return Duo Ridge Running Mission Available in KS Duo

Demo of secret KS/SM performance enhancing thigh slapping/screaming
technique

Note: $2.49/Mile if...
Forum: Soaring November 20th 08, 05:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Guitar Chords/Tabs for

Well I never heard it but that sure sounds like a lot of
tales I've listened to at Ridge Soaring. :-)
...lew...
Forum: Soaring August 22nd 08, 01:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Whoa!

Nyal Williams wrote:
I get r.a.s. through gliderpilot.net. My service provider is Comcast. The
message that it is a phishing site comes up from my spyware, which is
PC-cillin.

At 07:46 21...
Forum: Soaring May 19th 08, 03:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Spoilers or Airbrakes - Whats in a name?

Ralph Jones wrote:
Variometer American Heritage Dictionary

A variable inductor used to measure variations in terrestrial
magnetism.

rj
I would say that the "American Heritage...
Forum: Soaring December 9th 07, 01:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Trouble Getting Hotel Room For SSA Convention

Greg Arnold wrote:
As I recall, the last convention in Albuqerque also coincided with the
bowler's convention. Sure a lot more bowlers than soaring pilots!

The problem with the idea of...
Forum: Soaring November 12th 07, 12:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Aircraft N number

Ralph Jones wrote:

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 19:07:12 -0800, wrote:

When (what year) was the movie produced? I can tell you who owned it
if you can tell me what year (or...
Forum: Soaring November 11th 07, 03:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Aircraft N number

wrote:
When (what year) was the movie produced? I can tell you who owned it
if you can tell me what year (or even better what month) it was
filmed. Won't be until Tuesday...
Forum: Soaring November 10th 07, 11:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Aircraft N number

Where would I look to find who is/was the owner of a power
plane ( small side by side seating "Piper" looking ) seen
in a movie?
N97422
Any Ideas? Thanks.
...lew...
Forum: Soaring November 8th 07, 11:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Delaware gliderports or clubs

wrote:
On Nov 8, 4:08 pm, "01-- Zero One" wrote:
Are there any?
Larry
01 "zero one"
Larry,

The closest gliderports/clubs to Delaware are in SE...
Forum: Soaring October 13th 07, 04:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Nobel prize winner is a glider pilot

Tom Gardner wrote:

On Oct 12, 11:40 pm, Lew Hartswick wrote:

Eric Greenwell wrote:

Oliver Smithies, along with Mario Capecchi and Martin Evans, was...
Forum: Soaring October 12th 07, 11:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Nobel prize winner is a glider pilot

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Oliver Smithies, along with Mario Capecchi and Martin Evans, was awarded
the *2007 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine* on Monday.

Oliver Smithies flies a Grob 109B...
Forum: Soaring September 11th 07, 12:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Help search for Steve Fossett

Dan G wrote:

http://www.mturk.com/mturk/preview?groupId=9TSZK4G35XEZJZG21T60&kw=Flash

These are 0.4 m resolution pictures taken by satellite (GeoEye) since
Fossett went missing. You're...
Forum: Soaring August 28th 07, 03:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
No wing runner?

At 21:43 27 August 2007, Lew Hartswick wrote:
wrote:
On Aug 27, 5:36 am, Steve Leonard
wrote:
Nah, you guys have all got it wrong! Fly a 1-26!
You will land...
Forum: Soaring August 27th 07, 10:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
No wing runner?

wrote:

Nah, you guys have all got it wrong! Fly a 1-26!
You will land out far more often,...
Forum: Soaring August 8th 07, 10:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
To profile or not to profile

John Sinclair wrote:
Hmmmmm,
When I typed the sympol for for inches (') , the system
changed it to feet (') ..............anyway, the first
4 INCHES are important, not the first 4 FEET!
Forum: Soaring May 17th 07, 02:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Tubercles lower stalling airspeed?

wrote:
I uncovered a video of the testing.

http://tinyurl.com/2umfup

(note that the bowl of petunias still achieved a slightly better
minimum sink rate)

I don't...
Forum: Soaring March 29th 07, 03:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
David Clark company

I've been using David Clark "ear muffs" for shooting and power tool
use for about 25 or 30 years. They are absolutely the most
comfortable and easy to use of the many others I've tried.
Picked up a...
Forum: Soaring March 5th 07, 03:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
mobile phones

Tuno wrote:
As Mike said, text messages and some 911 signals require much less
power and signal to go through. (Mobile phone software enforces a
"quality of service" threshold; if it cannot be...
Forum: Soaring February 14th 07, 03:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
accident at 2005 junior worlds

Alistair Wright wrote:

Secondly, it is fortunate for you that you are not a UK citizen otherwise
you would be helping the police with their enquiries. It is a CRIMINAL
offence to call...
Forum: Soaring February 12th 07, 11:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Flying Gloves

Neil wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for lightweight, but good "grip" gloves
for use when gliding, that would be available in or from the UK?

I'm looking for something with good...
Forum: Soaring January 2nd 07, 02:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Lew Hartswick
Video of midair with tow rope

nimbusgb wrote:
Has anyone asked him who was holding the video camera of his incident?
He was!

Damned fool.

I was wondering the same thing. And the title of the bit sounds
like it was...