Search: Posts made by: jcarlyle
Forum: Soaring February 26th 12, 02:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
Did Gordon Boettger get in the air this morning?

Thanks for the details, Gordon. Too bad about today, but best of luck
for next time. I'm pulling for you to get the miles logged in your
FDR.

-John
Forum: Soaring February 10th 12, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
Attention US Standard Class Pilots

Mike the Strike wrote:
My suggestion to handicap pilots (like we do horses in races) has been
universally laughed at!

Mike, that's a good idea, IMO. You don't see golf clubs handicapped,
but...
Forum: Soaring February 9th 12, 08:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
Attention US Standard Class Pilots

wrote:
On Feb 9, 2:19 pm, jcarlyle wrote:
John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
On Feb 9, 1:13 pm, jcarlyle wrote:
Iím still...
Forum: Soaring February 9th 12, 07:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
On Feb 9, 1:13 pm, jcarlyle wrote:
Iím still learning to be a contest pilot, so the proposed use of
handicaps in Standard Class is OK by me....
Forum: Soaring February 9th 12, 06:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
Attention US Standard Class Pilots

Iím still learning to be a contest pilot, so the proposed use of
handicaps in Standard Class is OK by me. And if pure handicapping
attracts more people to participate in Standard Class, great!

What...
Forum: Soaring February 6th 12, 10:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
Multiple Battery Setup

Andy wrote:
On Feb 6, 12:10 pm, jcarlyle wrote:
I bet there isn't a glider pilot out there who
doesn't look at his battery voltage at least several times during each
Forum: Soaring February 6th 12, 07:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
Multiple Battery Setup

I vote for simplicity - a fuse at each battery, a panel switch for
each battery, a fuse for each instrument, a switch for each
instrument, and a voltmeter (discrete or in an instrument). If its...
Forum: Soaring January 21st 12, 01:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
Now we have freezing rain!

On Jan 21, 5:30 am, cfinn wrote:
in USA
here in England they won't let us have guns because nanny knows best.- Hide quoted text -

We're...
Forum: Soaring January 18th 12, 03:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
Manual

On Jan 17, 9:55 pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I've been flying gliders in the US since 1976, and I don't recall having
the manual on board ever being a safety or...
Forum: Soaring January 17th 12, 09:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
Manual

On Jan 17, 4:40 pm, bish wrote:
Hi
I have to bring the owner manual when I fly my LS 6.
I have a copy on a memory key. Is it acceptable?
Regards
S6

I don't know for...
Forum: Soaring January 15th 12, 03:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
Tom Knauff's 14 Jan 12 Safety Webinar

I, too, enjoyed Tom's webinar yesterday - it was a good refresher
course on an important subject. Tom has a great depth of knowledge on
safety, and his delivery made a dry subject entertaining....
Forum: Soaring January 9th 12, 07:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
Lightsquared GPS interference

On Jan 9, 2:21 pm, Bill D wrote:
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2012/01/new-act-scuppers...

It looks like Congress and the DOD have ended the threat.

That's...
Forum: Soaring December 31st 11, 02:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
First Visit to Minden questions

On Dec 30, 6:31 pm, "S. Murry" wrote:
Ohh, I assumed that you meant that you should always bring friends along
when driving to Minden in the winter. Thanks for the...
Forum: Soaring December 30th 11, 11:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
First Visit to Minden questions

On Dec 30, 5:34 pm, "Gary Ittner" wrote:
"jcarlyle" wrote in message

Forum: Soaring December 30th 11, 07:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
First Visit to Minden questions

On Dec 30, 1:49 pm, akiley wrote:
Yes, thanks for the tip. I drove with family from the bay area to
Truckee several years back. I still have a bag of chains in the
Forum: Soaring December 30th 11, 04:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
First Visit to Minden questions

Aaron,

You probably know this, but on the off chance you don't understand why
the previous two posters were stressing driving in snow in the Sierras
to someone raised in ski country back East,...
Forum: Soaring December 28th 11, 02:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
LK8000 Portrait mode in PC sim mode

On Dec 28, 9:09 am, lanebush wrote:
Does the portrait mode support the bottom info bar as well? I
currently get six data fields in the bottom bar. Are you guys getting
Forum: Soaring December 28th 11, 02:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
LK8000 Portrait mode in PC sim mode

On Dec 28, 5:33 am, David Salmon wrote:
At 15:29 27 December 2011, jcarlyle wrote:To each their own, but for me landscape mode makes less sense than the
new menu system...
Forum: Soaring December 27th 11, 03:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
LK8000 Portrait mode in PC sim mode

To each their own, but for me landscape mode makes less sense than the
new menu system in Word 2007, ie, none. As Kirk said, the map should
show me where I'm going, not stuff off to the sides. IMO,...
Forum: Soaring December 25th 11, 02:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
LK8000 Portrait mode in PC sim mode

Kirk,

Glad you got it working. I don't understand why it only works for you
under 7 when you go to the SD card. Under XP Pro my shortcut points
directly to the exe on the hard drive (target looks...
Forum: Soaring December 24th 11, 10:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
LK8000 Portrait mode in PC sim mode

Kirk,

Hmmm - I'm running v2.2e (the last stable release) under Win XP Pro,
and the -480x640 resolution works fine.

480x800 is definitely one of the selectable resolutions, according to
this...
Forum: Soaring December 24th 11, 06:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
LK8000 Portrait mode in PC sim mode

Yes, Kirk.

Assuming Windows, go to the shortcut you use to launch the LK8000 sim
mode (if you don't have a shortcut, make one). Right click it, and on
the Shortcut tab, edit the Target line. There...
Forum: Soaring December 17th 11, 10:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
Safety Review for 2011 US Contests by John Cochrane

Disregard my previous message. I discovered that the Guide to the
Rules is Appendix A in the rules documents. Reading the Guide over
quickly, I can certainly understand the RC discussion about the...
Forum: Soaring December 17th 11, 10:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
Safety Review for 2011 US Contests by John Cochrane

QT,

Thanks for posting. I read BB's review, and I thank him for his
analysis.

A question for you or others on the RC. I read the Guide to Competion
and the 2011 RC minutes, and saw that both...
Forum: Soaring November 14th 11, 10:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jcarlyle
ASW 19 Instrument Panel CAD Drawing

Yes, I've got one. Write to me off line and I'll send it to you.

-John

On Nov 14, 5:18 pm, Jonathan Phillips
wrote:
Does anyone have a .dwg/dxf file of the...