Forum: Soaring November 12th 20, 04:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Replacement axle for Eberle trailer

A roadside axle swap is probably not an option, since you will not likely find a direct replacement. Even if the axle can be repaired on site (welded or patched together somehow) the trailer will...
Forum: Soaring November 6th 20, 03:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gliding Club Experiences

What? You are saying that the simulator isn't as good as the real thing? I'm SHOCKED! Shocked, I tell you!

To hear the Condor folks in my club, you would think that the only things missing are the...
Forum: Soaring November 4th 20, 04:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Old Folks Poll

People didn't use to call us Old Folks.

OK, Boomer.

(I'm a Boomer, too.)
Forum: Soaring October 30th 20, 02:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Truck vs Car as a tow vehicle

Nothing wrong with a decent sized sedan or crossover vehicle for glider towing. As stated previously, weight and wheelbase are your friends. Subaru Outback is about as small as I would go.
Forum: Soaring October 28th 20, 07:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Truck vs Car as a tow vehicle

Beware of vehicles with a long overhang, i.e. distance between the rear axle and the tow hitch.

A few years ago, there were some Cobra tongue (drawbar) failures behind long-overhang RVs. The...
Forum: Soaring October 28th 20, 02:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Truck vs Car as a tow vehicle

I am wondering how often a truck for towing a glider trailer might be an advantage?

Uhh- How about EVERY TIME you are towing a glider trailer?
Forum: Soaring October 26th 20, 01:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Composite tool review

For rough sanding, grinding and shaping composites, including carbon fiber, I highly recommend tools from Perma Grit. They are impregnated with tungsten carbide and just never seem to wear out. The...
Forum: Soaring October 24th 20, 01:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New alpine soaring video on YouTube

Great video, and truly astonishing camera technology. Wish we'd had it when we were making "Cloudstreet." However, the fore/aft alignment of the camera has some noticeable distortion where the two...
Forum: Soaring October 23rd 20, 01:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Apology

Saw a great T-shirt:

"You think it's offensive.

I think it's funny.

That's why I'm happier than you."
Forum: Soaring October 22nd 20, 03:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Apology

Kumbaya, y'all. Give Peace a chance. He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

Feel free to chime in with some meaningless politically correct slogan from your childhood.
Forum: Soaring October 22nd 20, 03:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
for the amateur meteorologists, question.

Basically, we don't understand meteorological conditions on the micro-micro level, as in the anomalies that happen for whatever reason in a tiny area. Of course, the "tiny" area is much smaller than...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 20, 02:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Apology

In my 47 years of soaring flight, (28 years in hang gliding, 20 in sailplanes) I have received thousands of queries about the advisability/possibility/safety etc. of flying without an engine. Most of...
Forum: Soaring October 16th 20, 02:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What have we learned from all this?

Your last name must in in a vowel. Now that great Northern Italian is that the same as Vienna Sausage in the can?

Uhh..no.

But as you are an obvious connoisseur of Southern cooking, I can...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 20, 04:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What have we learned from all this?

I guess that you never have visited the deep south and had some good fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy, and yes the BBQ is delicious.

As much as I appreciate good fried chicken, mashed...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 20, 03:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What have we learned from all this?

Ozzy swears that raw bat is the best!

Almost worth the rabies shots.
Forum: Soaring October 14th 20, 04:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What have we learned from all this?

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that Europeans fly gliders better than
Americans

Well, I will certainly suggest that the Europeans (especially Italians) cook better than we do. Except for...
Forum: Soaring October 10th 20, 03:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LX5000/Flarm Red box

here's another :) Not an e-glider but a fossil burning, screaming jet engine, glider looking but short winged--

https://www.desertaerospace.com/extreme-light-jet--xlj-

That was an early...
Forum: Soaring October 9th 20, 02:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
As heard on 123.3........

"ZYX, do you think I am an a**hole?'

"Yes, ABC, you are an a**hole."

(1/2 hour later)

"ZYX, do you really think I am an a**hole?'

"Yes, ABC, you are."
Forum: Soaring October 8th 20, 03:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Best Overall Motorglider available today?

From Gren Seibels' book "After All:"

"MANUFACTURER'S POLAR- An exercise in creative mathematics, embellished with artistic prevarication; a gaudy package of high hopes, bound with a ribbon of...
Forum: Soaring October 4th 20, 09:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Best Overall Motorglider available today?

I don't believe the '25 was ever sold as a twin jet, but there was one converted by the owner. (in Australia, I believe)
Forum: Soaring September 28th 20, 02:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

I am not going to speculate but there can be many reasons higher on the list.

Ramy

Don't worry, Ramy. There are lots of "expert" speculators on this topic. None of whom have any experience...
Forum: Soaring September 19th 20, 04:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dust cover choices

I am looking for dust covers. My 15 m glider spends all of its off-duty hours in my hangar, but since this is New Mexico (i.e., a desert) it collects dust and I would like to keep it covered,...
Forum: Soaring September 18th 20, 02:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cleaning old bugs

On Friday, September 18, 2020 at 7:30:07 AM UTC-6, Sci Fi wrote:
On 9/17/2020 7:17 AM, Roy B. wrote:
Bounce dryer sheets. The bugs melt away. I learned this trick from my
Forum: Soaring September 18th 20, 03:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Felt

One thing I forgot to mention about using Gorilla Glue: If you are trying to bond felt to steel, aluminum or any other smooth, non-porous surface, use some 60 or 80 grit sandpaper to scuff the...