Search: Posts made by: Charles Longley
Forum: Soaring January 25th 20, 03:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Becker

I’ve had really good customer service with Becker. I’ve also had really good customer service with Trig.
Forum: Soaring January 19th 20, 07:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Reconstructing Maintenance Logbooks

What type of glider? Unlikely on the time means nothing to the FAA or your neighborhood IA who is probably going to sign it off. A PDF of a log book entry would be helpful. (To the IA.)
Forum: Soaring January 19th 20, 07:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
ballpark cost to install a towhook on a C182?

I am thinking it might need an A&P sign off as a minor alteration but who in the hell wants to tow with a Schweizer hook?
Forum: Soaring January 19th 20, 07:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Parachute needed

I just sent you an email Colten
Forum: Soaring January 19th 20, 07:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Lowest power tow

I saw someone go behind a 65 hp J-3 once. They said they would never do it again!
Forum: Soaring January 18th 20, 05:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Parachute needed

I have a Strong parachute you’re welcome to have.
Forum: Soaring January 18th 20, 05:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Schleicher cockpit

You had me at the out of beer! I feel reasonably safe in my ASW 20 but it is a high risk sport. You take your chances in life.
Forum: Soaring January 12th 20, 04:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Too many GPS puck antennas

I’ll give it at try this week and report back. Some of my experienced friends don’t think it’ll work with an S100.
Forum: Soaring January 12th 20, 03:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Too many GPS puck antennas

Pfft compass what’s that? Look out the canopy.
Forum: Soaring January 11th 20, 05:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
6'7" and looking for a glider

I am 6’1” and have gone from an ASW19 to a 20. They have very similar cockpits. I fit OK I. Them but wouldn’t want to be any taller. I occasionally would hit my head on the canopy during rough...
Forum: Soaring January 11th 20, 04:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Too many GPS puck antennas

I like your idea best Richard. I’ll give you a call next week.
Forum: Soaring January 11th 20, 03:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Too many GPS puck antennas

I just started pimping out my ASW20. I am putting in a LXNAV S100, FLARM and an ADS-B Trig transponder. Thant’s three puck antennas and I haven’t even figured out where to put the FLARM antennas...
Forum: Soaring January 10th 20, 05:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
TRIG TN72 X ADS-B GPS Receiver

Right Bob but the guy was talking about going from a standard airworthiness certificate to experimental in which case part 43 would still apply.
Forum: Soaring January 9th 20, 11:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
One man rigger for a two seat

I am in my shop working full time now generally not working on weekends. Does anyone have suggestions on a one man rigger for a two place ship? Would this work for say a Grob 103? -...
Forum: Soaring January 9th 20, 08:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
TRIG TN72 X ADS-B GPS Receiver

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 10:05:59 AM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 6:04:11 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Yes, but I can get my own work signed off much...
Forum: Soaring January 9th 20, 06:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
TRIG TN72 X ADS-B GPS Receiver

You can’t do your “own work on” an experimental glider anymore than you can do on a type certified one. Either one requires an A&P or a Repairman to sign it off. Except for preventative...
Forum: Soaring December 1st 19, 10:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
ADS-B in and out in both the tow plane and glider

OK thanks I just registered both of Evergreens tow planes.
Forum: Soaring December 1st 19, 07:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
ADS-B in and out in both the tow plane and glider

I didn’t realize it was fixed. What was the solution? They were complaining at Region 8 two years ago because I sent the first of our ADS-B equipped Pawnees to it. Darryl mentioned something about...
Forum: Soaring November 30th 19, 11:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
ADS-B in and out in both the tow plane and glider

Because we haven't quite beaten the ADS-B subject to death ;) I thought I would start a new topic.

Does anyone have experience when both the tow plane and glider have ADS-B in and out? How are the...
Forum: Soaring November 30th 19, 09:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Pitot/static leak issues when using a "squat switch"

Actually out of curiosity I looked at the pin out diagram for a Garmin transponder. There’s no pin out for a squat switch. Guess they do air-ground logic through programming as quoted by AOPA. Too...
Forum: Soaring November 30th 19, 06:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Pitot/static leak issues when using a "squat switch"

There’s no requirement. The issue is if you get down to a low ground speed in flight the transponder might go into the ground mode. I think it’s getting a little overblown on RAS. Trig recommends...
Forum: Soaring November 30th 19, 02:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Pitot/static leak issues when using a "squat switch"

Yeah I am familiar with how a squat switch works. There’s no suspension in an ASW-20 except the tire so no place to put the squat switch. I’ll take a look at it when I do the Condition...
Forum: Soaring November 29th 19, 12:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Pitot/static leak issues when using a "squat switch"

I am thinking about a better mousetrap. Probably can’t do a squat switch on the gear because of the configuration on the ASW20. But I’ll think it over.
Forum: Soaring November 28th 19, 09:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Pitot/static leak issues when using a "squat switch"

So if you followed what I said you would see I was asking a question. I am not overly familiar with the Trig product line. But I am liking what I am seeing.

I disagree with your statement about the...
Forum: Soaring November 28th 19, 07:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Charles Longley
Pitot/static leak issues when using a "squat switch"

So you’re the RAS police Darryl?