Search: Posts made by: V1
Forum: Soaring December 21st 10, 03:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
A Little Technology Humor (SPOT)

I was reading the details in my SPOT user manual. In the Operation
Conditions And Climate section, it lists multiple potential issues,
including:

- If you exceed 700 mph (Mach 1) GPS accuracy...
Forum: Soaring August 11th 10, 07:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
More Videos from Logan, UT Region 9 contest

Thanks for sharing these. For those of us with no ridge/mountain
experience, videos like these are the next best thing to being there.
And for some of us, actually *better* than being there -- not...
Forum: Soaring July 2nd 10, 05:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
OLC - Set Units Display?

Is there a way to set the units on the OLC (Online Contest) website
screens so that they display in something other than the metric
default? For example, to show miles instead of kilometers?

(Yes,...
Forum: Soaring February 5th 10, 02:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
(USA) 2010 Program Letters (have FAA requirements changed?)

Speaking of Faxing - what's with that? Can't the FAA handle an email
attachement of a Word doc or a PDF file?

Sheesh....

Kirk

A inquiry to your friendly FSDO might be in order....
Forum: Soaring January 17th 10, 06:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
Wing weights

Does anyone know the weight of the inner wing panels of ... Ventus 2cx

Greg,
I haven't weighed it, but the dealer told me prior to purchase that my
Ventus 2cx inner panel was 130-135 lbs. Which...
Forum: Soaring October 5th 09, 09:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
Kudos to Cobra

In an age when customer service does not always measure up to what
wed like, those who excel deserve to be recognized.

I had seriously bent a part on my 2-year old Cobra trailer. It was my
fault...
Forum: Soaring October 2nd 09, 02:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
US Competition Rules Poll and Committee Election

FYI for new competition pilots who might not show up on the survey
validation list or Pilot Ranking List - you can still participate.

I had been out of competition for several years and was not on...
Forum: Soaring September 23rd 09, 03:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
Retrieve Contact - Radio Relay?

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to this thread. I saw a
lot of useful tips - especially about what frequencies to try, and
practical experience that says this is a feasible option in...
Forum: Soaring September 20th 09, 07:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
Retrieve Contact - Radio Relay?

Most of the discussion Ive seen related to arranging for a retrieve
after a remote land-out has focused on either cell phone (often not
available), text message (slightly better than cell phone),...
Forum: Soaring September 15th 09, 04:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
Soaring Club Strategic Plans?

Our soaring club, the Soaring Club of Houston (Texas), has grown
considerably over the last several years. As a result, were starting
a strategic planning process to help guide our future...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 09, 01:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
Port of Houston

On Apr 8, 12:02*pm, Kevin wrote:
Looking for a recommendation for a freight handling company or other
... Port of Houston.

Kevin,
About 18 months ago I used Acts. They've...
Forum: Soaring March 19th 09, 02:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
Glider Hangar Tie-Downs

We've just finished a tie-down improvement project at the Soaring Club
of Houston. It covered both the direct tie-down equipment and related
items and processes necessary for protecting and taking...
Forum: Soaring December 18th 08, 02:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
SeeYou Desktop Software - Runs on Vista 64-bit?

On Dec 18, 1:06*am, "
wrote:
On Dec 17, 9:18*pm, QT wrote:

Runs fine on my Thinkpad T61 with Vista 64 SP1

QT

Runs...
Forum: Soaring December 17th 08, 07:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
SeeYou Desktop Software - Runs on Vista 64-bit?

Im planning to get a new PC with Vista 64-bit, and would like to know
if anyone is successfully running SeeYou on this version of Vista?

I looked on the Naviter website, but didnt see a...
Forum: Soaring September 10th 08, 02:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
Side-mounted canopy -- Prevent blowing shut?

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions. I'm seeing that it's
even more critical to close AND lock than I had considered - a great
tip from Richard (the voice of expensive experience).

-...
Forum: Soaring September 5th 08, 08:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
Side-mounted canopy -- Prevent blowing shut?

I have a side-mounted canopy (Ventus 2). I'm concerned that a gust of
wind could blow it shut when it's in the open position, breaking or
damaging the canopy.

I could close it every time I walk away...
Forum: Soaring September 15th 07, 07:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
Hangars - Horton Stack Doors?

I'm considering Horton Stack doors (the type that fan-fold to the
side) for a hangar. One question is the expected lifespan of the
fiberglass panels.

If anyone has direct knowledge of this brand in...
Forum: Piloting September 15th 07, 07:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By V1
Hangars - Horton Stack Doors?

I'm considering Horton Stack doors (the type that fan-fold to the
side) for a hangar. One question is the expected lifespan of the
fiberglass panels.

If anyone has direct knowledge of this brand in...
Forum: Soaring July 29th 07, 02:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
Placement of Mechanical Vario in Panel?

I'm laying out a panel for a new Ventus, planning to get a Cambridge
302 flight computer. My question is where best to place my mechanical
vario in the panel.

I can either put it in a prominent...
Forum: Soaring July 28th 07, 01:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
Cambridge 302 & PDA -- Value of adding Cambridge 303?

I'm planning a panel for a new Ventus, planning to get a Cambridge 302
and a PDA. My question is to what extent also getting a Cambridge 303
(nav display) is worth the panel space and cost.

I...
Forum: Soaring February 4th 07, 03:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By V1
2K Paint Option on S-H Ventus?

I'm buying a new Ventus from the factory, and considering the pro's
and con's of their "Special 2K-painting" option, which is about 3000
Euro. Would like to hear any real-world experience that other...