Search: Posts made by: Dan Marotta
Forum: Soaring May 23rd 20, 12:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Not Gliding, But Flying, Sorta....

I've flown one that is similar and loved it.* Buzzing around at and
below 500' AGL gives a whole new perspective to flying.

On 5/22/2020 12:14 PM, wrote:
On Friday, May 22,...
Forum: Soaring May 22nd 20, 07:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Not Gliding, But Flying, Sorta....

I'm in the country south of Blum, TX where I've just completed my new
gyro plane kit.* Unfortunately, the as delivered brake master cylinder
was faulty, so I've had to tie the aircraft down for...
Forum: Soaring May 22nd 20, 06:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
What have we learned from all this?

Soaring?* What's that?* I'm in rural Texas.* Guess I'll start another
thread...

On 5/22/2020 6:49 AM, wrote:
Hot Tuna, now that was some good music. Dan I guess that just...
Forum: Soaring May 22nd 20, 01:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
What have we learned from all this?

Is that a Tuna joke, Mike?* Are you a fishist or simply a tunist?

On 5/21/2020 3:11 PM, Mike C wrote:
On Monday, May 4, 2020 at 10:10:38 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Whoever said...
Forum: Soaring April 29th 20, 05:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
COVID-19 Operational Considerations

So...* Anyone who doesn't agree with you, regardless of the cause or
whether right or wrong, you attack?* Flat earth, GRATE, inject... I'm
surprised you haven't called him a racist yet.* Isn't...
Forum: Soaring April 29th 20, 05:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Bad Aviation Films

I started this tread and forgot to mention one of the all-time greats in
bad aviation films:* "Iron Eagle".* After "An Officer and a Gentleman",
Louis Gossett, Jr. must have fallen on really bad...
Forum: Soaring April 29th 20, 05:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Favorite Aviation Films

Does the dialog have pregnant pauses and does Shatner screw the Bedouin
girl?

On 4/28/2020 9:35 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 7:20:10 AM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Forum: Soaring April 29th 20, 02:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Minimum acceptable self-launch climb rate

I've had two Rotax 912 seizures in a Pipistrel Sinus.* In each case I
was at or below 200' AGL.* In both cases I turned back and landed safely
without undue concern other than being extremely...
Forum: Soaring April 28th 20, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
COVID-19 Operational Considerations

Thirty seconds into the video and I'm laughing so hard I've got tears
running down my cheeks.* A lot of folks who watch this (and you know who
you are) will think that people with southern or mid...
Forum: Soaring April 28th 20, 04:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
mecaplex window

Wow!* $300 for a little plexiglass window.* I guess that, since we own
aircraft, we can afford expensive ****.

On 4/27/2020 9:52 PM, Charles Longley wrote:
Forum: Soaring April 28th 20, 04:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Flarm picking up my transponder

I both agree and disagree with Tom.

The TN72 is not ADS-B in a certificated ship, TABS only there.* If your
ship is Experimental, TN72 works just fine as ADS-B Out. Configuration
takes all of 10...
Forum: Soaring April 27th 20, 03:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
COVID-19 Operational Considerations

My flying buddy declines my offer to pick him up.* Instead, his wife
will drive 2 hours to the airport, get his trailer, and go get him. I
told him I could get his trailer with my car, come, watch...
Forum: Soaring April 27th 20, 02:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Minimum acceptable self-launch climb rate

My Stemme gets 800 ft/min at 8,000' density altitude but it's
turbocharged. :-D If I'm repositioning for a safari or such, I climb
straight up to 18,000' MSL and cruise at 140 KTAS.* But it sure...
Forum: Soaring April 26th 20, 12:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Best Flight Of the Day NA

Not so good for me today.* Since I rode my Harley to the airport, I wore
jeans, which I haven't done for flying for years.* The wallet in my hip
pocket was pure torture and I had a cable come...
Forum: Soaring April 25th 20, 05:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
What have we learned from all this?

No, no, no, Jonathan.* It must be a UV light. :-D

On 4/24/2020 5:47 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I have learned to do a daily Lysol cleanse then stick an incandescent up my ass, to stay...
Forum: Soaring April 25th 20, 05:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
How About Story Time

That come from the life style poly?

On 4/24/2020 9:09 PM, wrote:
Also, thanks to Herbie Mozer for my first joint in a hot tub. (p.s. the CIA knows).:)

--
Dan, 5J
Forum: Soaring April 25th 20, 05:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When I bought my LAK-17a, I drove 10 hours to get to the site and spent
the weekend.* I spent a couple of hours examining the ship after the
owner and I rigged it.* I discovered some minor...
Forum: Soaring April 24th 20, 11:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Flarm picking up my transponder

I thought you had to be on a collision course to sound a Flarm alarm.*
Dragging at the end of a rope hardly meets that condition.

On 4/24/2020 1:07 PM, Roy B. wrote:
You'd think that with all...
Forum: Soaring April 23rd 20, 10:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Flight review

Doesn't the CFI you did the Flight Review with have to update your Wings
account?* But as long as you have the log book endorsement, you're OK.

On 4/23/2020 2:39 PM, Brian wrote:
Wings still...
Forum: Soaring April 23rd 20, 05:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
1-26 Price

There's also this little economic phenomenon called inflation.* You see
it in materials, wages, etc., and it all ends up in the price of
things.* But I'm an engineer, not an economist so I'm...
Forum: Soaring April 23rd 20, 05:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Flight review

I did an Instrument Competency Check flight a while back with a CFII and
I've been doing AOPA courses and quizzes for years as they come along.*
They all seem to be linked to Wings.* Like I said,...
Forum: Soaring April 22nd 20, 06:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Flight review

On 4/22/2020 7:02 AM, Waveguru wrote:
Heck, maybe Condor will be our only flight choice for the next few years?
To quote one of the passengers in the movie, "Airplane!"...
Sh-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-t...
--...
Forum: Soaring April 22nd 20, 12:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Flight review

I checked with my insurance company.* They told me that, without a
current flight review, I would have no coverage.

On 4/21/2020 5:03 PM, wrote:
On Monday, April 20, 2020 at...
Forum: Soaring April 20th 20, 07:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Canopy Pressure gas springs

When I had that issue with my LAK-17a, I removed the spring, copied all
the numbers, did a lot of searching and cross referencing on the
internet and found that, for my glider, it was the same...
Forum: Soaring April 20th 20, 06:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
GoPro Camera Deal (I don't work there - this isn't spam)

Bet'cha it does a great job.* I have a Swann that I got for about that
price close to 10 years ago and it does just fine for my needs.

On 4/20/2020 6:26 AM, wrote:
On Monday,...