Search: Posts made by: kirk.stant
Forum: Soaring October 29th 18, 10:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
17.6 meter tips for Ventus C ?

On Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 8:49:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:
At 45 degrees left bank, I applied right aileron, but the ship kept rolling left!

JJ, that sounds like classic...
Forum: Soaring October 21st 18, 04:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Greatful for this group

Pitch vs power is a lot more subtle than just pushing the throttle up or pushing the stick forward to speed up; the real answer (IMHO) is "it depends on where on the L/D curve you are". At high...
Forum: Soaring September 20th 18, 02:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Anti-collision strobe lights

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 10:08:49 PM UTC-5, Gerry Simpson wrote:
Does anyone have knowledge of documented studies showing the efficacy of the strobe light bars which are available to be...
Forum: Soaring September 20th 18, 02:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
A few newbie questions about the sport

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 6:00:07 PM UTC-5, Paul T wrote:

Sorry can't afford transatlantic telephone calls - I asked a fairly simple

question, why can't you answer this on a public...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 18, 07:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Vario Comparison

On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 10:50:35 AM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

One of the things I love about a 2-32 is that they are an honest spinner, like a T-6, ham fist it and over you go,...
Forum: Soaring September 8th 18, 08:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Vario Comparison

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 8:21:39 PM UTC-5, Mike Borgelt wrote:

To digress from the vario topic slightly:
Which is why I said that flying attitude can kill you. I think this is what...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 18, 05:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Electric Winch Project

On Sunday, September 2, 2018 at 8:29:48 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:
You bunch of electric sissies! I want a glider with a huge freakin pulse jet strapped to it burning heavy crude or coal tar, throwing...
Forum: Soaring August 30th 18, 06:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Hard wax v/s liquid wax (and turbulators)

Didn't Dick Johnson run some tests on a Pik-20 that suggested that smooth but not polished was very slightly better than waxed to a mirror finish?

One would think that an Akaflieg would have looked...
Forum: Soaring August 27th 18, 04:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 10:03:17 AM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Just to point out some places do not have comms between glider and tow. Just signals.

Yeah, cuz radios are so, like,...
Forum: Soaring August 27th 18, 04:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
How high does your club tow?

Our club routinely tows to 3000' AGL (field elevation 537') for student flights, and unfortunately also for most other flights - a lot of glider pilots wouldn't want to hear what I'm saying about...
Forum: Soaring August 27th 18, 04:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Canopy opening in flight

On Sunday, August 26, 2018 at 4:35:35 AM UTC-7, Tom wrote:
Anyone know of an occurrence of a forward hinged canopy that opening in flight? Any possibility of this happening if the forward...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 18, 02:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Flying with Parachutes

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 1:06:07 PM UTC-5, Retting wrote:
Do not buy a parachute. Do you wear one flying around in your Cessna?
Plus, we do not wear a chute because we fly cross country,...
Forum: Soaring August 8th 18, 09:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 2:42:39 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
That is why all the operators will make sure the tow pilots know it is important tow the 2-32 at the correct speed. ...
Forum: Soaring August 6th 18, 02:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 12:10:19 AM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
I also experienced recently slow takeoffs in my fully ballasted 29 which felt very uncomfortable. The yaw string was all over the place...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 18, 02:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Emergency Exit

On Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 8:15:54 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:

First step in PT3 is to push stick forward, then AFTER establishing stable airspeed, initiating a steep turn. People...
Forum: Soaring June 28th 18, 04:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Emergency Exit

Remember that if you still have an elevator, you may still be able to use negative G to get out of the glider: Jettison canopy, unstrap, the push the stick forward HARD and you should pop right out....
Forum: Soaring June 19th 18, 12:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
WTB Piper Cub or similar Cockpit Glider Release

On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 4:10:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:

A lever mounted high likely will work but a T handle will only be useful dropping the rope. You can't pull hard enough if...
Forum: Soaring June 16th 18, 04:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
New low budget two seater

On Saturday, June 16, 2018 at 10:11:09 AM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 9:57:18 PM UTC-7, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Thats why we call the US Retardistan.

Amazing the...
Forum: Soaring June 11th 18, 04:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Grand Teton Crash

On Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 10:46:11 PM UTC-5, Ernst wrote:
Carnage continues, who is next?
https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/cops_courts/article_87046564-e466-535c-a04c-b3918ec7dcb9.html

Forum: Soaring June 1st 18, 06:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
1202 Transponder Squawk Code - In a Tow Plane?

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 1:11:14 PM UTC-5, OHM Ω

Kirk - So those are permanently assigned squawks? How did you go about that?

We have several members in the FAA or who work closely with...
Forum: Soaring June 1st 18, 05:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
1202 Transponder Squawk Code - In a Tow Plane?

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 3:59:29 PM UTC-5, RV 6 Driver wrote:
On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 12:48:16 PM UTC-5, kirk.stant wrote:
All three of our towplanes have unique ATC assigned (by...
Forum: Soaring June 1st 18, 04:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

The basic misunderstanding of the differences between FLARM (and PF) and ADS-B among so many pilots is a bit scary.

FLARM is designed to prevent collisions between equipped gliders. It is...
Forum: Soaring May 31st 18, 06:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
1202 Transponder Squawk Code - In a Tow Plane?

All three of our towplanes have unique ATC assigned (by letter) squawks, to be used when actively towing gliders.

Transponder-equipped private gliders use the standard 1202 code.

Kirk
SLSA
Forum: Soaring May 25th 18, 01:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Tape the pitot/static system during storage?

I made a Pitot cover for my LS6 (fin pitot) with a length of rubber tubing (medical type) that has some yaw string yarn inserted in it, and red tape wrapped around it to make it nice and visible. It...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 18, 05:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Landing with reduced airbrake

On Monday, May 14, 2018 at 10:30:05 PM UTC-5, Richard McLean wrote:
Hi again flubber,

I just re-read (most of!) that thread .. an I do remember it now.

It doesn't really address my...