Search: Posts made by: G. Sylvester
Forum: Piloting April 10th 07, 05:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By G. Sylvester
Rationale behind vacuum instruments

Mxsmanic wrote:
Can someone tell me why vacuum power is popular for certain instruments? I
cannot see any special reliability of a vacuum pump as opposed to an electric
motor. The only reason...
Forum: Piloting March 23rd 07, 06:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By G. Sylvester
Shelter Cove, CA PIREP

G. Sylvester wrote:
I was a freshly minted IFR pilot when I flew in there under beautiful
VFR. When we were leaving, we could see very clearly that on downwind
and away from the cliffs, but...
Forum: Piloting March 23rd 07, 03:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By G. Sylvester
Shelter Cove, CA PIREP

I was a freshly minted IFR pilot when I flew in there under beautiful
VFR. When we were leaving, we could see very clearly that on downwind
and away from the cliffs, but not right over the...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules March 21st 07, 02:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By G. Sylvester
G430 RAIM failure

john smith wrote:
What is on the ground in that area?

not much at all. A cement plant. About 7 miles away is an AM radio tower.

Gerald
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules March 20th 07, 05:20 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By G. Sylvester
G430 RAIM failure

Jon Carlson wrote:
This happened to me about a year ago on that approach (I'm based at
SQL) and sounds like almost the same point. It all came back after
about 15 seconds, the RAIM flag went...
Forum: Piloting March 17th 07, 06:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By G. Sylvester
Flying in the USA vs. Europe

Jay Honeck wrote:
How *can* you get lost with a Garmin 430? Or any GPS, for that
matter?

It would take a concerted effort to get lost with a moving-map in the
panel...

He also didnt'...
Forum: Piloting March 17th 07, 07:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By G. Sylvester
Flying in the USA vs. Europe

Jay Honeck wrote:
That is so frustrating. We want to show our kids our European roots,
but the thought of riding a train -- even a very nice train -- just
isn't as appealing as flying a light...
Forum: Piloting March 17th 07, 06:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By G. Sylvester
Flying in the USA vs. Europe

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
I have traveled in Europe
and Asia, and you can spot an American easily because they are the
ones who insist on speaking English...

actually English is the universal...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules March 10th 07, 06:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By G. Sylvester
ILS sans identification

Mark Hansen wrote:
Not to mention the problem you can have if you accidentally get the wrong
station ;-\

IIRC this happened on a corporate jet flying into a Houston Airport that
was going to...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules March 8th 07, 06:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By G. Sylvester
G430 RAIM failure

I went up for currency with my (former) CFII. We were flying back to
San Carlos (KSQL) and on the GPS 30 approach. We were cleared to depart
OSI at a heading of 140. Norcal informed that they...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules February 19th 07, 04:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By G. Sylvester
Organizational Skills Required During Instrument Flight

Lots of good advice.

For timers, I use:
http://www.lcflight.com/timers.html
"4 Channel Alarm /Clock Timer"

#1 is the 'active' timer (expected times, times approaches, etc.), #3
and #4 are fuel...
Forum: Piloting February 18th 07, 09:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By G. Sylvester
Another warbird lost

Grumman-581 wrote:
Given the going prices for warbirds, if the data plate survived,
someone will "rebuild" the aircraft... A few years back, I stumbled
across Chino airport in SoCal... They...
Forum: Piloting February 17th 07, 09:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By G. Sylvester
VFR terminology in Class B

Matt wrote:
That is my understanding as well. But the last instruction I received from
the approach controller before being handed to the tower was to descend at
my discretion. I decided to...
Forum: Piloting February 17th 07, 09:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By G. Sylvester
gear up landing of a Piper Arrow

Owen wrote:
The airport manager and sheriff dept. disagreed with that and
the end result was the mechanic getting zapped with a Stun Gun!

I wonder if "1 injured" will go in the NTSB report (if...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules February 17th 07, 09:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By G. Sylvester
Realistic Instrument Training using MSFS 2004

Ray Andraka wrote:
FWIW, the Elite simulator suffers the same issues with the yoke inputs
not feeling realistic and being difficult to trim. ....

I don't find it difficult to trim at all even...
Forum: Piloting February 6th 07, 03:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By G. Sylvester
Balloons

Peter R. wrote:
I believe the OP was referring to party balloons, not hot-air balloons. ;)

correct. And for clarification I'm also not referring to that big
silver thing that says "Good Yeer!"...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules February 6th 07, 03:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By G. Sylvester
"Rolling" to ATC

A Lieberma wrote:
Maybe one contacts ground after departure in anticipation for that off
airport emergency landing LOL

Nope. Contact Mommy to get another pop for playing nice (not cutting in...
Forum: Piloting February 6th 07, 01:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By G. Sylvester
Balloons

Robert M. Gary wrote:
My favorite is http://www.clusterballoon.org/utah/utah_79_L.jpg
The guy seems pretty happy, but notice where the helmet is. It works
best if you put it on your head.

and...
Forum: Piloting February 5th 07, 02:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By G. Sylvester
Balloons

Jay Honeck wrote:
Must be a Left Coast thing. I can't say that I've seen more than one
or two party balloons in the 1600 or so hours Mary and I have been
airborne...

no reference the Larry...
Forum: Piloting February 5th 07, 09:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By G. Sylvester
Balloons

I had another close encounter with a (party / decoration-type) balloon.
I was flying back to SQL with 3 passengers in an Archer at 2500
AGL/MSL when out of the corner of my eye this black thing...
Forum: Piloting February 5th 07, 08:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By G. Sylvester
Flight Safety

Matt Barrow wrote:
No wonder I freak out going up a 20 foot ladder to do Christmas lights, but
have no problem going to 20,000 feet in an airplane.

I've heard that from so many first timers in...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules February 5th 07, 08:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By G. Sylvester
"Rolling" to ATC

Sam Spade wrote:
paul kgyy wrote:
Tower: United xxy, cleared for takeoff, turn to heading 225
United xxy: United xxy, rolling, turn to 225
I think it would be "United xxy, turn to heading...
Forum: Piloting February 4th 07, 05:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By G. Sylvester
The one minute turn that can save your life

John T wrote:
"G. Sylvester" wrote in message

From
everything that I've read, heard , taught and practice, IFR flying is
Forum: Piloting February 3rd 07, 07:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By G. Sylvester
The one minute turn that can save your life

I'm not a CFII but am ASEL-IA. I found super-basic attitude flying
pretty easy after only during those 3 hours with my CFI. So from my
perspective, I don't know why either. Whatever is easiest...
Forum: Piloting February 3rd 07, 06:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By G. Sylvester
Scary Icing ATC tape

What amazed me was she decided to continue the flight. I seriously
would have been looking for the nearest FBO to clean my underwear. And
she said she had something like 2.5 hours more to...