Search: Posts made by: toad
Forum: Soaring June 7th 12, 01:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Where to get Winched?

On Jun 6, 7:38*am, Walt Connelly
wrote:
Where in the South East US of A might one go to get a winch launch
endorsement? *ALSO, in general how much...
Forum: Soaring June 5th 12, 09:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Would you rather fly a Sailplane?

As for the "greying" of the SSA,...

The funny thing is that the hang glider folks have the same issues
with greying of the membership. So do the sailboat racers.

The paraglider's seem to be a bit...
Forum: Soaring April 11th 12, 02:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Fai/Ssa Badge and record guide. Mind boggling

On Apr 10, 6:49*pm, Gregg Leslie wrote:
At 19:04 10 April 2012, toad wrote:

On Apr 10, 2:29=A0pm, Greggy *wrote:
Forum: Soaring April 10th 12, 08:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Fai/Ssa Badge and record guide. Mind boggling

On Apr 10, 2:29*pm, Greggy wrote:
Gents,

I am totally confused and apparently need to be an attorney to figure
out *what records to claim for a recent pilot flight from...
Forum: Soaring April 4th 12, 10:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Question for US Rules committee on AH capability within LX NAV computers?

lol. *that might even be crappier than some of the phone apps I've
seen.

T8

Nah, I expect it actually could be pretty decent. Remember, all that
it needs is 1 solid state rate gyro and...
Forum: Soaring April 4th 12, 08:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Question for US Rules committee on AH capability within LX NAV computers?

On Apr 4, 1:24*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
Sean, why are you the only person out there making a huge mountain out of this molehill?

The rule is simple - don't show up with a...
Forum: Soaring March 2nd 12, 06:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
US Rules Committee to ban XC Soar in US soaring competitioneffective immediately? - Ahh the

On Mar 2, 9:59*am, Gregg Leslie wrote:
I for one am tired of the endless rules associated with contests...Why
can't
we just keep it simple? As a contest pilot I have never...
Forum: Soaring January 14th 12, 04:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
MSA Seminar Feb 18-19 Ridge Soaring the Appalachians

On Jan 12, 12:06*pm, T8 wrote:
On Jan 10, 10:11*pm, J9 wrote:

The Saturday afternoon/Sunday morning seminar is targeted toward
beginning...
Forum: Soaring January 9th 12, 09:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Winter Flying in the USA

Can you supply a link to those long ridge flights please?

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/daily.html?st=olcp&rt=olc&df=2012-01-05&sp=2012&c=C6&sc=
Forum: Soaring January 7th 12, 01:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Boots for cold weather Soaring

I found a pair of mountaineering overboots at the used gear store in
North Conway during wave camp one year. You might check out the
outdoor catalogs. They slip over your normal boots or shoes.
Forum: Soaring December 2nd 11, 02:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
SeeYou Mobile Group Available?

On Nov 30, 11:22*pm, JohnDeRosa wrote:
Is there a SeeYou Mobile group like there is for GlideNav at Yahoo
groups?

How about an Oudie group?

Thanks,...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 11, 04:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Flaps VS Airbrakes/Spoilers

On Aug 17, 8:47*am, wrote:
On Aug 16, 10:26*pm, toad wrote:

On Aug 15, 10:55*pm, BobW wrote:

The 'purpose of flaps'...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 11, 03:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Flaps VS Airbrakes/Spoilers

On Aug 15, 10:55*pm, BobW wrote:

The 'purpose of flaps' - Is this where philosophy enters the aerodynamic world
definable by flaps' effect on a glider's polar?
Forum: Soaring April 13th 11, 02:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Software for glider pilots running on Ipad

On Apr 12, 1:33*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 4/11/2011 7:49 PM, gotovkotzepkoi wrote:

All this talk about ipads, software, charts, panels, instruments,
levers,...
Forum: Soaring March 27th 11, 09:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Checklist formats

On Mar 27, 3:36*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
On Mar 27, 9:48*am, toad wrote:

This has been beat to death here before, but IMHO shorter is better:
Forum: Soaring March 27th 11, 05:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Engine Out Landing. Big Deal?

On Mar 27, 9:47*am, n7ly wrote:
On Mar 26, 8:30*pm, Nyal Williams wrote:

Oh, I thought someone mentioned it in passing. *Always turn into...
Forum: Soaring March 27th 11, 03:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Checklist formats

This has been beat to death here before, but IMHO shorter is better:
CBSIFTCBE before taking off, and (for me) WWW before landing (Wind
Water Wheel). *I don't need a piece of paper to remember...
Forum: Soaring March 26th 11, 04:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Engine Out Landing. Big Deal?

On Mar 25, 10:20*pm, 5Z wrote:
Of course, given the option to analyze the situation before it happens is a HUGE help for us, which this pilot didn't get! *I've had to...
Forum: Soaring March 25th 11, 09:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Engine Out Landing. Big Deal?

Yes, a 500 ft engine out on takeoff in a light plane is more like a
125 ft rope break. Now do a 180 turn around to land.

Try to simulate this emergency some time if you have power license or
a...
Forum: Soaring March 22nd 11, 11:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Reason 28, 29, 30.... why I don't paraglide

On Mar 22, 5:45*pm, bildan wrote:
On Mar 22, 1:25*pm, toad wrote:

On Mar 22, 2:53*pm, bildan wrote:

On Mar 22,...
Forum: Soaring March 22nd 11, 08:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Reason 28, 29, 30.... why I don't paraglide

On Mar 22, 2:53*pm, bildan wrote:
On Mar 22, 11:36*am, toad wrote:

On Mar 22, 11:49*am, bildan wrote:

Again,...
Forum: Soaring March 22nd 11, 06:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Reason 28, 29, 30.... why I don't paraglide

On Mar 22, 11:49*am, bildan wrote:
Again, training and experience is critically important.

billdan,

Are you missing the point on purpose, not understanding or just trying
to...
Forum: Soaring March 22nd 11, 12:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
Reason 28, 29, 30.... why I don't paraglide

On Mar 21, 11:26*am, bildan wrote:
On Mar 21, 6:45*am, "
wrote:

Anything that dangerous must be fun ;) *On the other hand...
Forum: Soaring February 22nd 11, 11:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
handicaps for one-offs?

On Feb 22, 4:23*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
On Feb 22, 12:28*pm, hretting wrote:

The formula is as followed:

Kentucky crap shoot divided by...
Forum: Soaring January 6th 11, 09:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By toad
poor lateral control on a slow tow?

Have fun Cookie, but until you teach them to draw force diagrams, you
will have frustrating conversations.

I am a practicing aerodyanmicist, but will refrain from speculation on
the tow conditions...