Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 01:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Inadvertant IMC - DG1000, Manawatu, New Zealand

This happens more often than you might think.

At a club where I used to fly there is a chief flight instructor who does this on a regular basis. Apparently the entire board of directors at that...
Forum: Soaring November 21st 20, 08:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soaring Club Financials

Haven't seen much discussion of this topic and I'm rather curious what the consensus is. I know of some clubs that did not open this year. Other clubs opened late and still others opened and just as...
Forum: Soaring October 17th 20, 04:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
§ 61.87 (i)

On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 8:47:42 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 11:05:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Concerning Burt’s comment on the FAA exemption...
Forum: Soaring October 1st 20, 03:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rope Breaks (Grilling sacred cows)

Thank you for the replies and for expanding a bit on the topic. My intent was to be inclusive of both actual and simulated rope breaks in a flight regime where a turn is at least possible whether or...
Forum: Soaring September 29th 20, 04:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rope Breaks (Grilling sacred cows)

Does anybody have a first hand account of a rope break in which a canopy was factually damaged because the pilot did not make an immediate turn to the left or right?

Please note:This is not my...
Forum: Soaring September 28th 20, 02:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tow plane wanted

Gary Davis has a Calair 260hp that I think is 20hrs SMOH. Its listed on Wingsandwheels.
Forum: Soaring September 19th 20, 03:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hero, Garmin or OTHER?

Thank you all for the feedback.

This was one of the tougher choices for me. After watching video comparisons until my eyes bled I narrowed my short list to the Garmin Ultra 30 and the GoPro 8...
Forum: Soaring September 17th 20, 11:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hero, Garmin or OTHER?

On Thursday, September 17, 2020 at 7:36:20 AM UTC-5, wrote:

I had an early model Garmin Virb and found it to be quite good....until it got glitchy, needed updates, sent back...
Forum: Soaring September 16th 20, 06:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hero, Garmin or OTHER?

Reading the dismal (I'm being kind) reviews of the latest Hero Gopro I'm looking at alternatives. Kind of.

Has anybody settled on an alternative?

So far what I've seen either desaturates color or...
Forum: Soaring September 16th 20, 04:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Powersonic "Smart Battery" tested

((meh))

You're a pretty smart guy, 2g. Let's stop splitting hairs here.

The LiFe offers better capacity to weight ratio across the board. The price (I found one for 64 bucks) isn't bad either. Not...
Forum: Soaring September 14th 20, 04:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Powersonic "Smart Battery" tested

Jfitch,

What are you using to charge it? The manufacturer seems to recommend an ordinary 13.8 volt switching power supply which makes sense with the BMS handling the rest of the work
Forum: Soaring September 14th 20, 01:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

I like signal mirrors. Radios are great, technology is awesome, but I still like signal mirrors. Sky full of aircraft with guard receivers and nobody listening on guard. For real. I'm not making this...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 20, 03:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

The FT-270 isn't type certificated for use on USHPA allocated frequencies. Nobody really cares. I think the FCC Enforcement Bureau is more interested in pirate broadcasters, cellular and PCS. If you...
Forum: Soaring September 11th 20, 09:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Blue Book, American Soaring Handbook

On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 2:09:07 PM UTC-5, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Friday, September 11, 2020 at 10:13:00 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I've got a half dozen books...
Forum: Soaring September 11th 20, 05:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Blue Book, American Soaring Handbook

I've got a half dozen books specifically on this subject. Some are dated but I think still relevant. Others are 'current' but as was pointed out, inaccurate or have other issues.

If you provide the...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 20, 05:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Virga, rain, cloudsuck - how close do you get?

Some instructors don't think it's a big deal flying directly into IMC so......whatever.

(No, I'm not making this up and no, I don't mean a cloud. I'm instrument rated, I know wtf a cloud looks like...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 20, 04:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

HAM's definitely are better at communicationg than the aircraft folks.
Another issue with 2M Ham radios is that you need, at a minimum, an FCC amateur technician license to transmit legally.
Forum: Soaring September 2nd 20, 05:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Survival Kits

In another thread had seen some back and forth without pushing the envelope much so I figured I'd pull the pin, thumb the clip, release the spoon and make a regular f))king party of it.

I honestly...
Forum: Soaring September 2nd 20, 03:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

I won't fly in the desert with less than two and a half gallons of water and enough material to make and seed 10 solar stills. I spent 8 years flying in the desert and mountains. Both will kill you...
Forum: Soaring August 19th 20, 05:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New Hope for Old L-13s

Was told by a regulator that there is a repair facility being put in place by Blanik to get the spar AD compliance somewhere in Indiana.

Before anybody gets excited, there's apparently a fairly...
Forum: Soaring August 19th 20, 02:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Omarama update

On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 7:34:20 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 10:56:46 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Latest communication from Gavin Wills, Omarama, NZ:
Forum: Soaring August 18th 20, 02:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blanik - LiPo/LiFe Refit

Was chatting with an FAA engineer about an unrelated matter and the subject of JAR specs for sailplanes came up. I mentioned almost in passing that it sure seemed like if any new ground was plowed on...
Forum: Soaring August 15th 20, 02:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
§ 61.87 (i)

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 7:24:55 AM UTC-5, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 2:13:03 AM UTC-4, David Shelton wrote:
The regs state that solo students must receive...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 20, 03:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
§ 61.87 (i)

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 9:14:56 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 5:41:22 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 11:30:29 PM UTC-5,...