Search: Posts made by: COLIN LAMB
Forum: Home Built July 12th 08, 02:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By COLIN LAMB
The Cancer Engine

I was there - once upon a time, now 12 years ago.

I made the following observations:

1. Take advantage of it and use it as an excuse to avoid going to events
you never wanted to go to in the...
Forum: Soaring July 6th 08, 05:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
SPOT Versus ELT Analysis (Long)

"Does NOAA carry more weight to get non-US emergency teams to answer the
phone and come to your
rescue?"

I doubt it. Search and Rescue is activated by the sheriff in most states
and they will...
Forum: Soaring July 6th 08, 05:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
SPOT Versus ELT Analysis (Long)

One problem with a transmit every minute, rather than 10 minutes, would be
that it would shorten battery life considerably. I am guessing it would
approximate 10% of the present battery life. The...
Forum: Soaring June 25th 08, 03:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
BNC installation

"3) Male/Female versus Two Males with coupler (whoa!) - Stick with the
fewest possible connections. Not only for the fact that there are
fewer things to go wrong but because each extra connection...
Forum: Soaring June 25th 08, 02:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
BNC installation

I forgot one other point - get quality, name brand coax fittings. A few
years ago, some Chinese right angle coax fitting showed up. They looked
good, but used a spring of wire to connect the two...
Forum: Soaring June 25th 08, 02:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
BNC installation

I wish I had known about the BNC crimpers decades ago. At this point, I
would drive 100 miles to get a proper crimper instead of soldering a BNC -
they are that much better. When someone asks me...
Forum: Soaring June 15th 08, 07:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
Transponder antenna - blade vs stub monopole

At 1,000 MHz, RG-58 has a loss of about 15 db per 100 feet. So, a 10 foot
run would represent 1.5 db. That is an acceptable loss. It will reduce the
range a bit.

Generally, if the control...
Forum: Soaring June 15th 08, 02:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
Transponder antenna - blade vs stub monopole

John gets a gold star. Excellent report. About the only question not
answered is the comparative aerodynamic losses for a glider with the
different antennas.

Colin
Forum: Soaring June 15th 08, 01:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
Transponder antenna - blade vs stub monopole

Whoops, I misspelled the website. It is:

www.microwaveeng.com

Colin Lamb
Forum: Soaring June 15th 08, 01:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
Transponder antenna - blade vs stub monopole

There is a unique antenna that works fine as a transponder antenna - with no
blade or stub to break off or impede airflow. It is called an annular slot
antenna. Many antenna engineering textbooks...
Forum: Soaring June 14th 08, 02:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
Transponder antenna - blade vs stub monopole

The 23" is for a 1/4 wave antenna at the frequency for the aviation radio
band (123 MHz). The transponder operates at about 1,000 MHz, so a 1/4 wave
is much smaller.

You do not even need to do...
Forum: Soaring June 13th 08, 02:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
Mayday in Utah

And, I forgot to mention that just because the MG has the same glide ratio
as the 1/26 does not mean that it will land in the same space. The MG has
more mass and some have a stall speed at about...
Forum: Soaring June 13th 08, 02:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
Mayday in Utah

Although we can discuss whether the incident should have been an emergency,
the point was that the pilot felt it prudent to use the radio to get
assistance. I flew helicopters with 2/1 glide ratio...
Forum: Soaring June 13th 08, 01:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
Mayday in Utah

Regarding the Mayday, this is encouraged by the FAA if the pilot is
concerned about his safety - whether founded or unfounded. They are there
to help and can decide how urgent the matter is. ...
Forum: Soaring June 12th 08, 02:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
SF26 Standard

The LBA maintains ADs for German Aircraft. The site is
http://www2.lba.de/dokumente/ad/html/ads-scheibe/index-scheibe.htm

I could find nothing for the SF-26. Perhaps there are no AD notes.

Colin...
Forum: Soaring June 2nd 08, 02:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
Mapping Glider Locations

Hello Joel:

The original post was not for the purpose of encouraging a non-ham to have a
permanent APRS installation. The point of the original post was to
familiarize those not acquainted with...
Forum: Soaring June 1st 08, 09:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
Mapping Glider Locations

"I'm not saying you can't do this, but my conscience says it's not the
intent of the FCC rules to let any Tom, Dick or Harry use amateur
frequncies on a continuing basis without obtaining a proper...
Forum: Soaring June 1st 08, 07:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
Mapping Glider Locations

"OK, I'm not trying to argue with you, but I'd wager in a court of law,
the FCC rules would take precidence over an aprs website wiki. Of
course, individual interpretation of FCC rules has always...
Forum: Soaring June 1st 08, 07:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
Mapping Glider Locations

"I doubt you'd have to. If the transmitter power is turned off, no
position reports could be sent out."

Response: it was a joke.
Forum: Soaring June 1st 08, 07:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
Mapping Glider Locations

"97.5 Station license grant required.
(a) The station apparatus MUST BE UNDER THE PHYSICAL CONTROL of a person
named in an amateur station license grant on the ULS consolidated
license database or a...
Forum: Soaring June 1st 08, 06:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
Mapping Glider Locations

"I don't agree with this at all. If you are using a 2M ham transmitter
without a ham license, you are violating FCC rules. The software you
claim to have controlling the transmitter does not...
Forum: Soaring June 1st 08, 06:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
Mapping Glider Locations

A bit of research says that it is not necessary to "babysit" an APRS
installation.

See http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=ControlOperator

Colin Lamb
Forum: Soaring June 1st 08, 06:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
Mapping Glider Locations

Hello Wayne:

To be honest, I have not reseached the answer about control - however APRS
is used frequently in vehicles and animals that are not occupied by
amateurs. They are installed in...
Forum: Soaring June 1st 08, 05:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
Mapping Glider Locations

As a member ham and member of the local Search and Rescue organization, we
have been interested in tracking fellow searchers. The technology has been
available for some time, but was not...
Forum: Soaring July 9th 07, 05:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By COLIN LAMB
GPS for retrieval only??

The really nice thing about the car GPS units are that when you take a wrong
turn, it simply recomputes and tells you the new way.

It never says "I told you so" or "you should have asked directions...