Search: Posts made by: Dave Springford
Forum: Soaring January 29th 19, 03:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Cobra Tongue Bellows

I have also found AL-Ko parts from this UK site. Bought new brake shoes and drums from them a couple of years...
Forum: Soaring January 26th 19, 01:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
flarm mouse or powerflarm

Ryszard,

The basic PowerMouse is like the flarm pure.

You can add an ADS-B license to the Mouse to get that functionality too.

We are also working on getting the Mode C warnings too.

With...
Forum: Soaring January 23rd 19, 03:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
flarm mouse or powerflarm

FCC certification is in progress. The testing is being done by an approved lab in Slovenia and then results of the tests go to the FCC for approval.

Can't predict when approval will happen, but...
Forum: Soaring January 23rd 19, 12:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
flarm mouse or powerflarm

One nice feature of the PowerMouse is that it has a built-in bluetooth module, so it can wirelessly transmit flarm and GPS data to a display device (such as Oudie or Android) running your preferred...
Forum: Soaring December 31st 18, 09:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Wanting to start a new glider club

As mentioned above, we've been using it for 2 years and it is function as expected. No breaks, no problems, including one day with 90 launches without a stoppage.
Forum: Soaring December 31st 18, 04:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Wanting to start a new glider club

I bought 4000 ft of 5 mm diameter "dyneema" from the Shanghai Tough Rope and Webbing Company back in 2016 and we have been using it on our winch for 2...
Forum: Soaring December 30th 18, 04:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Nano Eliminated Takeoff Location

How long before the flight did you power on the Nano? Typically, it needs to be on for a few minutes before launch to establish altitude baseline and location.
Forum: Soaring December 22nd 18, 04:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Duo Discus XT

A few points:
1. The reason it starts so easily is because the prop is larger than the single seat gliders and therefore spins up more quickly. This also means it spins down more slowly.

2. On...
Forum: Soaring December 19th 18, 03:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Anyone test fly both the JS3 and the Ventus 3?

I visited the S-H factory in October and sat in and flew the V3 sport and spent a lot of time talking to Tilo and the engineers about the V3 and while the fuselage is similar in size to the 2a, it is...
Forum: Soaring December 19th 18, 03:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Anyone test fly both the JS3 and the Ventus 3?

You can't really compare the V3 Sport cockpit with the V2a cockpit, they are completely different. Besides being a different fuselage altogether than the 2a, the pilot seating position has also been...
Forum: Soaring December 12th 18, 04:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Dead ZAON PCAS MRX

My understanding is that FCC approval has been received for the LX Nav units and the LX Navigation units are in progress.

They both use an OEM Powerflarm chip.
Forum: Soaring December 12th 18, 02:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Dead ZAON PCAS MRX

Don't forget the FlarmBat
https://gliding.lxnav.com/products/flarmbat/

and

Flarm Eagle options as well as the Powerflarm portable.

http://www.lxnavigation.com/flarm-eagle-mobile/
Forum: Soaring December 7th 18, 11:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
LXNAV 8000 OAT Incorrect

Deming,

In the user manual for Ver 6.04, section 5.1.11.1 it explains how to adjust the temperature offset.

Manuals can be downloaded from the LXNAV website...
Forum: Soaring November 30th 18, 12:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Contest Wait list

On Thursday, 29 November 2018 00:01:53 UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
How does one get people involved locally?

Have you thought about trying to use a meetup event? https://www.meetup.com/

If...
Forum: Soaring November 23rd 18, 01:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Typical glider service lives?

Schempp-Hirth gliders have a 6000 hr limit before the first inspection, and if IRRC, all Schleicher gliders have a 3000 hr limit before the first inspection.

They can typically be extended out to...
Forum: Soaring October 23rd 18, 08:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Oudie 2 Lite - how to Autorun XCSoar (or something other thanSeeYou Mobile)

You can run XC Soar on the Oudie 2, but you do get the occasional drop of navboxes from the screen.

The easy fix to this is to swipe right on the screen to move to page 2 and then swipe again to...
Forum: Soaring October 10th 18, 12:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
HPH Twin Shark

So what are the base prices for these 3 wonder ships in the US?

Approximate prices:

Duo Discus XL 102,000 euro
Duo Discus XL T 129,000 euro

Arcus 127,500 euro
Arcus T 155,000 euro
Forum: Soaring October 6th 18, 05:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
HPH Twin Shark

Filling out the discusssion to consider other options, the Duo Discus XL is the best bang for the buck in the 20 M class, unless you are looking for a self-launch.

Duo Discus has about a 1 year...
Forum: Soaring October 2nd 18, 01:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
.CMR file ?

Raster map file IIRC.
Forum: Soaring September 5th 18, 08:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Bill Gawthrop(F8)

Sorry to hear of Bill's passing. I always enjoyed racing against Bill, he was a true competitor. My condolences to Diane.
Forum: Soaring August 29th 18, 07:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Cause of accident revealed...

On Wednesday, 29 August 2018 14:14:38 UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
We need a contest rule and an FAA regulation banning the use of flux capacitors. They are dangerous! And anybody on RAS who disagrees is...
Forum: Soaring August 29th 18, 06:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Pre Pan-American and 2018 Canadian National Gliding Competition

On Wednesday, 29 August 2018 13:10:25 UTC-4, Santiago Lopez wrote:
What are the Flarm and/or transponder requirements for the contest?

There is no requirement to have a transponder, and we'll...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 18, 04:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Pre Pan-American and 2018 Canadian National Gliding Competition

Andy,

We'll also be looking for rental gliders for pilots from South America and with Harris Hill only a few hours away, it is a good potential source for rentals. Can you pass the word and see if...
Forum: Soaring August 16th 18, 09:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
Pre Pan-American and 2018 Canadian National Gliding Competition

I don't recall the exact dates, but off the top of my head, something like 28 July - 14 Aug 2019 for the 3rd FAI Pan-American Gliding Championship, including practise days, opening and closing...
Forum: Soaring July 10th 18, 10:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dave Springford
skysight monthly subscription

Thanks for the clarification.