Search: Posts made by: waremark
Forum: Soaring December 11th 17, 02:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
A Motoglider 'Landing Fumes'

I did wonder about the Arcus Jet, but I thought that would be over the VNE. As owner of an Arcus M I would love to know more about the jet. How much fuel does it carry, where, etc
Forum: Soaring December 10th 17, 12:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
A Motoglider 'Landing Fumes'

This guys first call says he is 35 miles and 12 minutes out. I haven't heard of a motorglider which can do that speed whether day or night. It isn't a motorglider.
Forum: Soaring December 10th 17, 12:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
A Motoglider 'Landing Fumes'

In the UK there is a licensing crossover. I can fly a motorglider on my Private Pilots License with Touring Motorglider endorsement or on my Sailplane Pilots License. Then there is a National Pilots...
Forum: Soaring November 29th 17, 09:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
iPhone X and iGlide - the verdict is in.

As owner of an Oudie IGC (also Samsung S8, Kobo Glo HD, and LX 9000) I think brightness has ceased to be a major issue. I have never encountered any conditions in which the Oudie (pointed at me) is...
Forum: Soaring November 23rd 17, 07:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Glider Insurance

On Thursday, 23 November 2017 17:46:19 UTC, LAX wrote:
Is everyone insured by Costello Insurance?
I am purchasing a glider and it comes down to this, the annual premiums I was quoted are...
Forum: Soaring November 23rd 17, 07:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Best Path to Race

"The Standard vs. Flapped decision is a bit harder. All of the Sages say 15 meter (faster/safer), I'm leaning Standard (simplicity). But it's not like I have Standard tattooed on my shoulder, or...
Forum: Soaring November 7th 17, 01:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Overspeeding on winch launches

I don't agree with:

", i.e. when the climb
starts to flatten, you should release immediately if you're even slightly
above the placarded max winch speed. "

I do agree of course that exceeding the...
Forum: Soaring November 3rd 17, 11:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders

What is the ASG 33 going to be?
Forum: Soaring October 17th 17, 11:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
ASH25M - Technoflug prop vs AS prop?

On Tuesday, 17 October 2017 13:54:29 UTC+1, Nik wrote:
Hi all,

I recently bought an ASH25M, which still got the Technoflug prop. Now many PPL advice to go for the AS prop. I asked Schleicher...
Forum: Soaring September 30th 17, 01:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
EASA AD on FES battery systems

On Friday, 8 September 2017 17:14:40 UTC+1, JS wrote:
Saw the document on [Aus-Soaring] thanks to John Welsh.
Link to UK site below.
Jim

Forum: Soaring September 23rd 17, 12:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
sunlight readable iphone

Is there anything online which shows the strengths of iGlide? Perhaps YT video showing task entry for different types of tasks with different rules?
Forum: Soaring September 22nd 17, 09:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
sunlight readable iphone

"While the locations of the nav boxes are the same between pages, you can
configure the nav boxes to display different data on each page. You can
also configure XCSoar to automatically switch...
Forum: Soaring September 21st 17, 10:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
sunlight readable iphone

For me, as SYM improved over the years it overtook Winpilot even before Jerry stopped developing WP for Windows mobile.

I have always preferred it to XC Soar. XCS is amazing value, but I am...
Forum: Soaring September 21st 17, 08:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
sunlight readable iphone

"Broadly speaking, configuration, task entry, task editing, zooming, and panning are much quicker, and less verbose."

I would quote those points as reasons for preferring SYM! The biggest benefit...
Forum: Soaring August 16th 17, 09:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
ASW27B prices falling

I don't know whether it's true that 27 prices are falling in the UK. However,if it was true it would have a lot to do with engines. Most of those who can afford a glider with an engine want one. Of...
Forum: Soaring August 8th 17, 05:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
LS1-f neo

On Wednesday, 8 March 2017 16:46:58 UTC, Dan Daly wrote:
On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 8:11:00 AM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Wed, 08 Mar 2017 03:28:19 -0800, krasw wrote:

Forum: Soaring July 31st 17, 11:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
SAFE Winch Launching

PS: LUCAS: Prince of Darkness

Prince of Darkness because of a probably unjustified ? reputation for headlights failing.
Forum: Soaring June 14th 17, 01:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Flarm Range Analysis

In my Arcus I have the receive and transmit aerial where fitted by the factory on top of the rear glare shield, and the receive only aerial on the belly in front of the main wheel.
Forum: Soaring May 29th 17, 02:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Reserve altitude

I use a circuit height reserve altitude (and 500 foot clearance for obstructions). The benefit for me is that alternates show up green on the map. If you don't set a reserve then green on the map...
Forum: Soaring May 23rd 17, 09:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Stemme S12 in Michigan this Saturday, May 20th (KOZW) @ 4 pm

"Also, Arcus engine overheats and you can't cruise to the good condtions. "

Really? Mine has never got hot and cruises smoothly at 85 knots. I appreciate the Stemme's cruise ability is far better...
Forum: Soaring March 30th 17, 01:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Soaring Near Barcelona

http://volavela.es

An outstanding soaring location in the Pyrenees about 90 minutes drive from Barcelona with a well equipped and well organised gliding club. The CFI Serji speaks decent English....
Forum: Soaring March 21st 17, 11:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

In my club, as people who used to be most sceptical about gliders with motors update their gliders, they generally buy ones with motors (if able to afford to buy new or nearly new).
Forum: Soaring February 1st 17, 12:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Thoughts on panel upgrade?

He has a Kobo. This is a monochrome eink reader a bit like a Kindle. It runs XCSOAR well and is superbly sunlight readable. Drawbacks are that it has no audio, and as it comes new it does not have a...
Forum: Soaring January 31st 17, 03:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Thoughts on panel upgrade?

Not familiar with what you have got on your Android tablet - does it give you audible warnings before airspace infringement?
Forum: Soaring January 30th 17, 10:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By waremark
Thoughts on panel upgrade?

You will want an IGC logger for badge claims, starting with silver. The Cambridge kit should be good for this, but you need to check you can obtain suitable files from it.

If not, the cheapest...