Forum: Soaring October 4th 17, 11:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
How to teach XC with lead/follow technique?

I was taught this way: I had barely medium thermal skills and a new to me 44:1 ship. Our group usually picks an airport 20-40 miles away and flies there, and then the next and so on. I could never...
Forum: Soaring December 23rd 16, 04:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
I need a glider in trailer towed from NY to WA

Are you anywhere near the 'little giant vacuum cleaner company'?
https://youtu.be/Aak914x7RcA
(sorry, couldn't resist)
~BB
Forum: Soaring November 13th 16, 02:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adding ASW-24 Brake Fluid

Possibly the bleed valve is clogged. If not already tested, try draining some fluid out first to see if the valve flows freely. I changed the fluid in my 24B using the manual method and it worked as...
Forum: Soaring September 20th 16, 01:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dittel FSG 60M....Where is the internal Squelch adjustment pot?

Try looking up the service bulletin below. The POT (R428) is on the same right/left side of the PCB as the antenna jack, about 2 inches from the pilot / rear. I can't tell if the PCB sketch faces up...
Forum: Soaring January 2nd 16, 05:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Labels

I've used engravers.net with good results. They'll make placards any size, thickness you design for very low price, ~$10 for two 1/2" x 4".
Forum: Soaring January 2nd 16, 05:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Labels

I've used engravers.com with good results. They'll make placards any size, thickness you design for very low price, ~$10 for two 1/2" x 4".
Forum: Soaring December 11th 15, 01:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Double-wall Canopy mod to eliminate frost

If you aren't successful making the home made version, commercial versions called "Frost Shields" are available for truckers in Canada, Alaska, etc. I still have a few in a box from Wave flying years...
Forum: Soaring November 1st 15, 11:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dummy load antenna for radio testing

I recall there are a few older threads on antennas. I think one said not to use a handheld antenna, or maybe the radio manual said that, I'm not sure, but it's easy to check. For bench testing a...
Forum: Soaring July 8th 15, 12:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Parachute Rigger near Ionia

A friend used a rigger from the Allegan area last year and a couple guys from the Traverse city area used him just last week. All seem happy with him. His name is Bennett and phone number is...
Forum: Soaring March 27th 15, 02:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
German-Wings Copilot "one of us"?

An optimistic view is that he was not one of us based solely on his last flight. He possessed a glider rating, but he was not one of us. To be a glider pilot, you have to be an optimist, (JJI) ~Barny
Forum: Soaring February 19th 15, 02:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New Cobra trailer - - which top?

The UV issue is solved by a black factory coating (gloss paint?) on the inside of the glass top. It was available in 1998+, maybe only as an option, but both my 1998 & 1999 have it.
Forum: Soaring February 12th 15, 01:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New Cobra trailer - - which top?

I've only owned glass tops (3). IMHO the work to keep it looking nice makes Alum look appealing. Glass is like waxing four cars...unless it needs rubbing out, then it's like ten cars......"Wax on,...
Forum: Soaring January 25th 15, 04:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaring history

I'm not very qualified to reflect on Rudy's great history, but I'll add a few memories. I fly at Ionia where he based his gliders. One contribution to soaring was Rudy and his sons promoting the...
Forum: Soaring January 24th 15, 04:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muy suspicioso?

"Opting out is so much more effective than opting in" = unchecking a box.
Forum: Soaring January 22nd 15, 01:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ipaq HX4700 Series

I think there was a thread on this a year ago. I've had a 4700 & 5555, but only have saved the procedure for the 5555, hopefully similar for your 4700.. Suggest you search for the manual online and...
Forum: Soaring January 19th 15, 03:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Any insurance plans for high-deductible, low premiums?

The goal was to trade $3-4K deductible for reduced premiums. At $50K damage, he's still only out $4K ($66K settlement), which meets the goal. I'm aware of the salvage process having bid on one, but I...
Forum: Soaring January 19th 15, 12:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Any insurance plans for high-deductible, low premiums?

Hank, what am I missing? I understand my own choice is more severe, but his inquire was for a $3K deductible.
Value Damage Insurance Deductible Action Settlement Net...
Forum: Soaring January 18th 15, 11:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muy suspicioso?

Hi Frank, isn't checking a box on my SSA personal info page the same as 'opting in'?
~Barny
Forum: Soaring January 18th 15, 11:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Any insurance plans for high-deductible, low premiums?

Sure you've heard of it, just insure it for $3000 less than it's value. Insurance for our ships is purely based on value insured. Each $1K of value cost $x in premium. I'm carrying a $20K deductible...
Forum: Soaring January 17th 15, 03:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muy suspicioso?

Would it not be less dramatic if the SSA merely added a check box for e-news on our member account page? Say, right under the field where our email ID is located? I also nuked the email w/o opening...
Forum: Soaring January 5th 15, 02:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What is the L/D penalty of outside mounted GoPros?

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it" Heh heh....
Forum: Soaring December 6th 14, 02:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The ideal Christmas gift

Buyer bewa A few years ago Bumper advertised the MK-III at a discount to those who couldn't fit the fancy new MK-IV in their budget. I inquired if he was borrowing the "planned obsolescence"...
Forum: Soaring November 30th 14, 04:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Best spot to mount radio?

You may want to consider visability and hand coordination. Even though the radio is adjusted less often, I mount it in middle (or left) because I fly with my right hand and I can adjust devices with...
Forum: Soaring October 16th 14, 12:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Best adhesive remover/cleaner for wing tape

On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 12:15:24 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Interesting comment about using WX Block.

I stopped using it in part, because my electrical tape would not stick to...