Forum: Soaring July 21st 20, 06:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider Insurance?

Yeah, that quote was a memory fart.................probably from our ASH-25 with 4 partners on 100K. Hull is normally about 2% of insured value + liability.
I’m Still too cheap to buy...
Forum: Soaring July 21st 20, 01:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider Insurance?

Liability only.............what you may do to others while operating your Glider!
I strive to drive safe and fly safe, and I’m willing to take a hit, if necessary!
Full coverage on a 40K Glider is...
Forum: Soaring July 20th 20, 09:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider Insurance?

Hull insurance is only required if you have a loan on the Glider. I limit the value of the glider I own to $40K and self-insure for the value of the ship. I only carry Liability Insurance on the...
Forum: Soaring July 17th 20, 03:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
27 crash at Ely?

Ridge rules to live by..........on my first pass on a ridge, I keep my speed up (65 knots, dry; 70 knots, wet) and I stay about 300 feet off the rocks, both vertically and laterally! Another rule...
Forum: Soaring July 16th 20, 08:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
27 crash at Ely?

I just reread The Beautiful Mountain & her Sinister Trap, by Henry Combs, Soaring mag, Sept 1984. Henry’s friend crashed at 10:30 in the morning looking for earl lift flying alone a ridge line....
Forum: Soaring July 7th 20, 08:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pegase question

Google MCMaster Carr, then type in Dzus...........they have several to choose from. You need to know the thickness of the cover and bulkhead in your ship. Not cheep because they’re selling them...
Forum: Soaring July 3rd 20, 07:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
L-Nav v 5.8 EPROM

Hi Steve,
I powered up my L-Nav and the home page showed the version, but I forgot what it was? Sorry!
I took a picture with power on, but I can’t remember how to find it in my phone?
You could ask...
Forum: Soaring July 2nd 20, 02:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
L-Nav v 5.8 EPROM

I have s/n 1380A............believe it was one of the last ones made. Don’t know the version no.
JJ
Forum: Soaring July 2nd 20, 02:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
liability insurance

I foolishly didn’t renew my policy with Costello a few years back, thought it might be time to hang it up. The next year I found out almost nobody would insure a pilot over 80 years old. Costello...
Forum: Soaring June 28th 20, 03:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FAA suspends Bruno Vassel's Pilot Certificate

I agree with Karl..........when that low...........nose up, then roll..........like checking for your spot on the range.
Enjoy your videos,
JJ
Forum: Soaring June 14th 20, 04:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SH airbrakes hardware

Hi Tony,
Got your photo and checked the Discus wing in my barn. Looks like the L shaped bracket keeps the spoiler cap from bending aft (if spoilers were opened at higher speed) it should be securely...
Forum: Soaring June 14th 20, 05:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SH airbrakes hardware

Type ship would help?
Sent me your photo and I’ll try and sort it out?
Johnsinclair210(at)yahoo.com
Forum: Soaring June 5th 20, 01:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

In a 2- place ship, the front seat pilot can check both canopies by simply shoving up on each canopy right over his head, even though the guy in the other seat said his is closed and...
Forum: Soaring June 2nd 20, 01:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Neal,
This accident occurred when the Glider pilot was distracted by a canopy that swung open. He probably tried to grab it and didn’t maintain proper tow position! Even if he intended to fly low...
Forum: Soaring June 1st 20, 02:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

Come on, guys! Land in the airport auto parking lot? You got to be kidding? They expect you to land on the runways and taxiways or maybe even on the ramp. If you land in the auto parking lot it will...
Forum: Soaring May 29th 20, 11:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
How About Story Time

Dave’s story got me thinking about the time I landed in low crops in Butte Valley, Ca. The farmer was there immediately and quite irate! My choice was between his field or the sagebrush, so I took...
Forum: Soaring May 22nd 20, 04:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
How About Story T

Just remembered another funny story from the 1990 per-worlds at Minden. Charlie Spratt was the CD and during the second days pilot briefing, one of the Brits stood up and said, “I say, old chap, we...
Forum: Soaring May 16th 20, 10:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

While we’re talking about malfunctions, I was told that the Guillotine used in our winches, will quickly become coated with fir particles from the rope as it is retracted, over and over again,...
Forum: Soaring May 16th 20, 10:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
How About Story T

I rented my LS-6 to a member of the British team that competed in the 1990 Per-worlds held at Minden, Nv. I believe the pilot that flew my bird was Martin Wells. It was a package deal for use of...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 20, 02:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

The moment arm up (or down), from the tow ships CG to a tow hook directly above, would be quite short....... not much more than say 4 feet. I would think correcting for pressures applied at 48”...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 20, 01:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DG303 elevator bolt retainer clip

Not unusual for the clip to get bent way out of alignment, I used needle-nose pliers to put the clip in the groove, after securely tightening the bolt.
JJ
Forum: Soaring May 15th 20, 01:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Has anyone investigated placing the tow hook directly over(or under) the tow planes center of gravity? This would keep the out of position glider from yanking the tow planes tail out of acceptable...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 20, 12:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DG303 elevator bolt retainer clip

There’s a special tool that holds the spring clip out as you tighten the bolt. A socket wrench should do the same thing, anything that holds the clip away from the bolt will work. Look in the...
Forum: Soaring May 13th 20, 01:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Your strapped in, closed up, checklist complete, hooked up.............then something stops the launch! It’s hot inside your closed up cockpit and it looks like a several minute delay, so you open...
Forum: Soaring May 7th 20, 02:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bailout and survival kit

Don’t forget to save your yellow water to be used in an emergency after your dehydrated water runs out!
😛JJ