Search: Posts made by: jfitch
Forum: Soaring June 2nd 21, 04:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Flarm Target direction

For the case of thermalling, tactical displays could do a better job of situational awareness than they typically seem to. The old Winpilot was very good at this, showing all the the targets in the...
Forum: Soaring May 12th 21, 02:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
What is your headset experience and solution?

Using the Bose in my ASH26Mi. Probably 105 db in the cockpit, not real quiet. I tried various ear muffs, ear plugs, and the Plantronics T50 in one ear and a plug in the other. The Bose are the...
Forum: Soaring May 11th 21, 10:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
What is your headset experience and solution?

I use the Bose noise cancelling ear buds. Some other cheaper ones may work as well, but I know the Bose ones do and they have tested well by independent testers. I use a Plantronics T50 lip mike that...
Forum: Soaring May 7th 21, 02:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Hawk Wind

So you get the magnetometer with the Hawk option? I guess probably it is in the MEMs sensor they install in every unit and just turn it on?
On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 3:53:06 PM UTC-7, Richard...
Forum: Soaring May 6th 21, 09:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Hawk Wind

Richard, does that include the AHRS? Or is that another $900? Hard to tell from published data, but it looks like they are separate options. The Air came with both.
On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at...
Forum: Soaring May 6th 21, 06:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Hawk Wind

Air Avionics have been equally circumspect on exactly what they do, and how much each of the 9 axis MEMs sensors contribute to that. Using the magnetometer has some advantages, as the limiting case...
Forum: Soaring May 6th 21, 04:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Hawk Wind

The paper is fairly circumspect on the details of what they are doing. Their claim that this hasn't been done before seems disingenuous, given that the Air Vario had been out for a number of years...
Forum: Soaring May 5th 21, 07:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

Bob, I'd guess you'd mean like these? :)
https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/accessories/women/c/levi_accessories_women/facets/productitemtype/underwear
On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 1:20:31 PM UTC-7,...
Forum: Soaring May 5th 21, 04:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

OLC relies on FAI approved loggers (they are required, with working ENL if applicable, by the OLC rules), so not really an altered narrative. The contrast between OLC and a contest is relevant....
Forum: Soaring May 4th 21, 05:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

The FAI already (and for many years) has already dealt with this. The ENL or MOP device *and* installation has to meet certain standards. Jet and electric sustainers are specifically called out and...
Forum: Soaring May 3rd 21, 10:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Hawk Wind

All those means of wind sensing use the same principle and math, so I don't doubt they would agree. They would not agree with an Air Glide S. I'm quite familiar with what the Cambridge will do,...
Forum: Soaring May 3rd 21, 08:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

The IGC approval process contemplates this already. You might get away with that on OLC (there are many easy ways to cheat on OLC if that is your goal) but you would not get away with that at a...
Forum: Soaring May 3rd 21, 04:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Hawk Wind

I'd agree that the pneumatic variometry on the Air Glide S is not markedly better than the other offerings, this is well trodden technology. To get any advantage you need to learn to use the inertial...
Forum: Soaring May 3rd 21, 03:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Too much air in the gas tank??

"Aircraft has sustained some damage..." is a masterful understatement for a totaled aircraft. But I have to ask: what exactly is the point of a hydrogen powered airplane? 96% of commercial hydrogen...
Forum: Soaring May 3rd 21, 06:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Hawk Wind

In fact, iGlides thermal assistant is based on that behavior. In rough, two core, or asymmetric thermals it is a better indication than other thermal assistants which just integrate climb rate around...
Forum: Soaring May 2nd 21, 04:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

Bob, please supply links to the IGC file that has powered flight not reflected in the file. If you cannot, I'll assume this is a fantasy of yours. This is of course easy if you have a non-ENL logger...
Forum: Soaring May 1st 21, 04:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

Well Bob, at least we are getting somewhere as you have finally put some specifics on your objections. The question I asked you was, "Do you INTENTIONALLY fly over unlandable terrain too low to glide...
Forum: Soaring April 30th 21, 04:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

Bob, once again you exhibit your ignorance of motorglider operations. If you fly over unlandable terrain without a safe landing site within easy glide in your pure glider, you are more of a fool than...
Forum: Soaring April 29th 21, 11:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

Bob, you continue to completely ignore the details. "flight management as it relates to risk" - what SPECIFICALLY are you talking about? I can only guess. Off field landings have risk, and this risk...
Forum: Soaring April 29th 21, 11:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Hawk Wind

It does not sound like an inertial solution, but rather a more sophisticated pneumatic and magnetic calculation. It will be interesting to compare it to a Butterfly. In their paper, they erroneously...
Forum: Soaring April 29th 21, 04:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
padding in Cobra trailer

It is easier to use spray contact adhesive. Use 3M 90, not 3M 77.
On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 6:11:12 AM UTC-7, Guy Acheson wrote:
I used Goo Gone, waited an hour and used a paint scraper.
Forum: Soaring April 29th 21, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

The problem, Bob, is that your opinion is uninformed by experience in a motorglider, as you have admitted. You say a motorglider can close his OLC triangle and fly home, that is absolutely true, it...
Forum: Soaring April 29th 21, 03:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

Bob my friend, don't want you to have to wait long for the answers:
#1) the flight management is the same, for the soaring part of the flight. Obviously a self launcher will manage the launch...
Forum: Soaring April 28th 21, 04:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

A common trait among the motorglider haters ("purist" is a misleading word for them, there are plenty of pilots who prefer non motor gliders without the hate for others), is they are absolutely sure...
Forum: Soaring April 26th 21, 04:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By jfitch
padding in Cobra trailer

Under no circumstances would I replace the Cobra carpet/padding with the same material. It is a great deal of work to remove the adhesive sheet they use, and the material self destructs on a regular...