Forum: Soaring November 10th 20, 09:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
midair in Bay Area Nov 7

Unfortunately FCC does not allow transmit on both antennas.

Perhaps we should standardize on Rx+tx on top, rx only on bottom?
(Hoping there is a place in the wheel well without carbon...
Forum: Soaring November 10th 20, 02:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PowerFlarm offers new Version, PowerFlarm Fusion Includes Manynew standard Features!

So, to see a UAT equipped aircraft with a 1090 receiver you need to be close to an aircraft with 1090 in/out. Most reliable way to do this is to put adsb 1090 in/out on your glider.

To be seen by...
Forum: Soaring October 21st 20, 01:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Apology

* Getting upset today over something that
happened decades ago, and was mainstream at the time, is simply someone
wanting to stir up bad feelings.*

Agreed that this old stuff happened in...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 20, 11:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Apology

This topic really is disturbing, what these females have done is dig a big hole, I don't think they have a shovel big enough to dig their way out.

The complaint, which sadly required the...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 20, 10:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Apology

Here are the feedback letters concening this.

The 3rd and 4th had the patience to clearly explain the...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 20, 05:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wheel brake effectiveness standards

I don't think brakes in sail planes were not thought out, but technology has improved quite a bit since the original status quo. Both disk and drum can absorb the energy, but the disk seems able to...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 20, 02:20 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Apology

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 7:21:25 PM UTC-5, Jim N wrote:
Try this:

http://ourdigitalmags.com/publication/?m=32960&i=667760&p=16

If anyone finds this old ad offensive they must be...
Forum: Soaring October 13th 20, 02:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
On board battery(ies) for powering radios/Flarm etc

Yes, I also looked longingly at the tool batteries as well. A 3d printer could make a holder/connector and there are plenty of demo boards around for switching powersupplies to make 12V.

But I...
Forum: Soaring October 12th 20, 10:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FES climb rate question.

On Monday, October 12, 2020 at 3:18:05 PM UTC-5, Mana wrote:
As is the new LAK 17c FES https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxe6DIfPKb4

More prop clearance,

Looks like keeping the tail down is...
Forum: Soaring October 11th 20, 04:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Borgelt Dynamis variometer

That's been done. The ALOFT project,

Thanks, here's the report link
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA614555.pdf
Forum: Soaring October 11th 20, 03:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Borgelt Dynamis variometer

This things is still an interesting puzzle. No manuals or prices on the web site yet.

If TE = mgh + 1/2mv**2, perhaps one could measure v and/or h with a really good GPS instead of plumbing? ...
Forum: Soaring October 6th 20, 09:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
As heard on 123.3........

For an afternoon diversion, radio story starting at at 56 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nuAZfKSvvg
Forum: Soaring October 5th 20, 11:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

They've found his glider
https://xcmag.com/news/kiwi-johnston-glider-found-16km-downtrack/

Well, that's some progress.

For a satellite search, I wonder if they can compare shots from multiple...
Forum: Soaring September 6th 20, 03:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Blaine's balloon flight shows variations of wind speed with altitude

On Saturday, September 5, 2020 at 12:00:27 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
His flight track shows wind variations of up to 15 kt over a narrow range of altitudes

How is this different from a sounding baloon,...
Forum: Soaring September 5th 20, 12:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
COBRA Anti-Sway Coupler

I have lived in California for 35 years. I am unaware of this "I can't drive 55" while towing law/suggestion.

There is that pesky small print on the white highway signs that start with...
Forum: Soaring September 5th 20, 12:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
COBRA Anti-Sway Coupler

I have lived in California for 35 years. I am unaware of this "I can't drive 55" while towing law/suggestion.

There is that pesky small print on the white highway signs that start with...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 20, 01:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

On Thursday, September 3, 2020 at 6:50:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:
ALL aircraft radios and ground communication equipment would have to be changed SIMULTANEOUSLY worldwide.

Perhaps...
Forum: Soaring August 19th 20, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
You can now try Ramy’s scary outlanding on Lake Tahoe golf course on Condor

Making that landing took some great airmanship at the end of a long day.

Great main wheel skid mark from the 'fly it sideways' breaking action!

Especially nice there is no matching mark for the...
Forum: Soaring August 19th 20, 04:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Omarama update

This article sheds some light on that possibility:

https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/north-otago/joint-bid-possible-airfield-licence

Does the District Council have any understanding of running a...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 20, 02:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Another E glider concept

If you mean the fins on either side of the nose clearly marked "sensor", likely angle of attack vanes. Not very useful when the motor is running...

Not thinking about the sensor fin.

at 0:25...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 20, 12:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Another E glider concept

On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 12:33:33 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIYU2zkGQFQ

Great cgi. What are the chines for, if the are for go fast, why don't...
Forum: Soaring August 8th 20, 01:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
§ 61.87 (i)

Fortunately, in my training, I was able to assist another club member in the assembly of his private glider.

Careful, 61.87i-13 says the glider, not a glider. Just saying.

Thinking back, by the...
Forum: Soaring August 4th 20, 01:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scoring when abandoning a contest turnpoint

Sometimes you can find a mid ground between going for it and landing out versus turning tail and heading for home.

With another airport reachable, you can keep trying until you can't, then land and...
Forum: Soaring July 31st 20, 05:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

a Schempp-Hirth Ventus B/16.6 glider
I don't recall if this was gear up or down.

How about the landing flaps/spoilers.

If those were out, it might explain the wing damage?