Search: Posts made by: Dylan Smith
Forum: Piloting May 1st 09, 12:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Dylan Smith
What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

On 2009-04-30, Ross wrote:
What was the cost of the A36 if I may ask and what did you usually fly
at 90kts?

Since it belonged to the instructor's brother-in-law,...
Forum: Piloting April 30th 09, 04:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2009-04-14, Dallas wrote:

What's the bi-annual flight review all about?

I haven't been through one yet.. how tough are they? Is this like a
Forum: Piloting March 15th 09, 11:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Dylan Smith
FBO or equivalent near Birmingham, UK

On 2009-03-06, Tom Ferris wrote:
protocol. I realise that my license isn't valid under the JAR rules, or even
the CAA for that matter.

Actually, yes it is. Your license...
Forum: Piloting February 28th 09, 04:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Dylan Smith
Extra slow flight - Ground speed that is! - Video

On 2009-02-28, Ross wrote:
I have gone in reverse in a C-150 before. Trim for very slow airspeed
and right into the wind. Look down and the plane is going backwards to
Forum: Piloting February 25th 09, 02:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Dylan Smith
Sad day for Mxsmanic

On 2009-02-23, wrote:
RSTS/E, RSX-11, RT-11, TOPS-10, TOPS-20, VMS...

PDP-6, PDP-8, PDP-10, PDP-11, VAX...

All of those are emulated, and...
Forum: Piloting February 23rd 09, 01:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Dylan Smith
Sad day for Mxsmanic

On 2009-02-23, wrote:
Yep, all the software for DOS and an EGA display, not to mention the
Apple II stuff is still running, assuming you can...
Forum: Piloting January 30th 09, 08:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Dylan Smith
A thought & question on simulators

On 2009-01-13, Dudley Henriques wrote:
No good for the scenario you describe.

I respectfully *strongly* disagree; a PC sim is great for instrument
procedure training if used...
Forum: Piloting September 18th 08, 05:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By Dylan Smith
A simple Flight to ACY

On 2008-09-12, Kobra wrote:
Everyday Windows Machine Intel 3.0G processor, 2 Gig memory, blah, blah,
blah. Editing can be tough because it tends to stutter and get delays.
Forum: Owning September 18th 08, 05:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By Dylan Smith
A simple Flight to ACY

On 2008-09-12, Kobra wrote:
Everyday Windows Machine Intel 3.0G processor, 2 Gig memory, blah, blah,
blah. Editing can be tough because it tends to stutter and get delays.
Forum: Owning August 5th 08, 04:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Dylan Smith
High time airframe question

On 2008-07-18, Bob Noel wrote:
How many of those hours were spent doing pipeline patrols or other
activities that are tough on the airframe?

I have only ever...
Forum: Owning July 14th 08, 02:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Dylan Smith
First flight in our "new" Ercoupe...

On 2008-07-11, Jay Honeck wrote:
I don't think I'd have the patience to climb the Ercoupe to 11,000 feet,
though. It would take all day, at least in summer.

It does...
Forum: Piloting July 11th 08, 01:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Dylan Smith
Depression after Washing

On 2008-06-30, John Smith wrote:
It really isn't as bad as you make it out to be.
You polish on rainy spring days, before the real flying season begins
and let it go the rest...
Forum: Owning July 11th 08, 01:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Dylan Smith
Depression after Washing

On 2008-06-30, John Smith wrote:
It really isn't as bad as you make it out to be.
You polish on rainy spring days, before the real flying season begins
and let it go the rest...
Forum: Owning July 10th 08, 02:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 2008-06-28, Morgans wrote:
Are you kidding? You going to pull a trailer with the 'coupe, with all of
your camping gear in it? g

It's possible to travel...
Forum: Owning July 10th 08, 02:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 2008-06-28, Jay Honeck wrote:
pull starter seems odd but remember that contemporary aircraft of the
Ercoupe -- Taylorcrafts, Luscombes, Cessna 120s -- all had to be...
Forum: Piloting July 8th 08, 12:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Dylan Smith
Conventional v tricycle gear

On 2008-07-07, wrote:
If you look at most tail draggers, once the tail comes up the prop
clearance isn't significantly different than that of...
Forum: Piloting June 27th 08, 11:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By Dylan Smith
Future of Electronics In Aviation

On 2008-06-26, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
Your computer sounds very compact. What are the specs? Which chip?
Zydas? Prism? OS? I am always interesed to see how spartan
Forum: Piloting June 26th 08, 06:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

On 2008-06-26, Jim Stewart wrote:
Could you post a link? One of those would
probably fit inside the wing tiedown eyebolt
on my plane.

It's called the FlyCamOne - you...
Forum: Piloting June 26th 08, 05:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

On 2008-06-26, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
74HC138? You EE too?

No, nothing so grand - merely a hobbyist, although I do some fairly
advanced hobbyist stuff (the current hardware...
Forum: Piloting June 26th 08, 12:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

On 2008-06-26, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
He also showed me a miniature camera with 700+x400+ (forget exact
resolution). Cost was about $100. I asked him if such a device...
Forum: Piloting June 26th 08, 11:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Dylan Smith
For the real engineers here

On 2008-06-25, wrote:
I'm thinking of a clean glider, one that might weigh 1500 pounds and
has a glide angle of say 1 in 25.

That's not really a 'clean...
Forum: Piloting June 26th 08, 11:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Dylan Smith
Sad News: Michael Masterov

On 2008-06-25, Journeyman wrote:

Long-time poster Michael (thisoldairplane.com) died yesterday, June 24
in Berrien County, Michigan when his motorcycle was hit by...
Forum: Piloting June 26th 08, 11:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Dylan Smith
How Beat The High Cost Of Fuel: The ElectraFlyer-C

On 2008-06-25, wrote:
Tell you what, put a 54 amp load on the battery you started talking
about, not one twice the size you drifted to, then...
Forum: Piloting June 25th 08, 08:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

On 2008-06-25, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
You mean the refueling accidents? That wasn't spontaneous, they both had
causes, static and wide cut fuel..

One incident I have in mind was a...
Forum: Home Built June 25th 08, 08:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt